Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread  (Read 42389 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2006, 06:00:11 pm »
I love how Ennis sits looking down, before he goes into the tent to embrace his destiny.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:41 pm »
Maybe it's been said before, but it deserves being repeated if it had been said

I LOVE Ennis' vulnerability at the  beginning of the movie. In the bar scene, he's so fragile, sucking slowly on his beer (can't afford many more - compared to Jack), taking out his half used cigarette (gotta pace his cigs usage - they cost money too - even rollies), borrowing the lighter, and answering in such weighed words - never one word too many.

Starboardlight, on another thread brought out the resemblance of this scene to the other bar scene where Alma Jr. is just as insecure, and weighs every one of her few words to express herself "You're good enough, I guess..." (at practically the same age as her daddy was at the beginning of the movie!)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 05:20:26 am by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2006, 03:59:19 am »
I love the way Ennis says, "Huh?"... and I love his subtle humor and, in spite of his troubled mind and heavy heart, I love everything else about him.  God bless all lonesome true hearts in boots and jeans, I love him almost as much as Jack did!  I hope he finds someone similar to Jack and has a somewhat happy ending.

Rayn

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2006, 07:55:53 pm »
I love Ennis's distinctly dirty knees in the Happy Tussle scene. 
 ;)

And, I love how he seems to have adopted the "knock the cowboy hat off" move as a part of his foreplay ritual already by that scene.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
Re: roboy's "I love everything Ennis" Thread
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2006, 08:54:25 am »
I love Ennis' expression when he thanks Mrs.Twist for the shirts.  He's quiet, so he doesn't rouse the attention of John Twist and the moment is between he and Mrs. Twist (does she have a first name?)  His eyes are red-rimmed and she knows both that he's the reason behind those two shirts and that he has been crying and will continue to do so.   :'(

Yeah that is a powerful scene.  WHY does it all have to end in heartache?  Can,t we have a happy ending just for once?  I think after 20 years they deserved it. :'( :'( :'(
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2006, 01:37:23 am »
Everything I love about Ennis has been said.  :)

I just love that with Ennis, "what you see is what you get" - Jack knew Ennis' deeply private and introverted personality right from that summer of 63, he knew that Ennis was in deep denial about his sexuality .. he knew all those things, yet he couldn't help but love Ennis and continue to do so for 20 years!  There is an honesty and directness to Ennis that I love, despite his many flaws.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2006, 10:39:17 am »
I love the way Ennis convinces Alma to take the girls (in the grocery store, while the heifers are calving) through the silent communication of his eyes.  He speaks volumes with that look.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2006, 11:16:02 pm »
I love Ennis for his crazy taste in pajama bottoms.  For a reserved, quiet guy he really lets loose with sleep wear.
 ;)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2006, 12:16:16 am »
I love Ennis's distinctly dirty knees in the Happy Tussle scene. 
 ;)

I have asked this a couple of times before, and I have never gotten any kind of an answer, but why do you think the knees of his jeans are so dirty, hunh??

Actually I am looking for a definitive answer...

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2006, 12:26:54 am »
I have asked this a couple of times before, and I have never gotten any kind of an answer, but why do you think the knees of his jeans are so dirty, hunh??

Actually I am looking for a definitive answer...

J

Well... since you asked, I guess I will give a definitive answer... I think they're dirty because they just finished having sex outside and his jeans got dirty from, well, having sex outside.  The same is true of Jack's jeans in the flashback scene.  By the way, I was not the first person to notice or comment upon these little details, but I do find them great little touches.  This, I think is Lee's way of hinting at Proulx's line "They never talked about the sex, let it happen, at first only in the tent at night, then in the full daylight with the hot sun striking down, and at evening in the fire glow..."

OK, I'm getting back on topic...

I love Ennis for wiping his mouth as he enters the apartment to introduce Jack to Alma following the reunion kiss.