Author Topic: "...Tresspassers...Will Be Shot, Survivors..." signs - how old?  (Read 14305 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
"...Tresspassers...Will Be Shot, Survivors..." signs - how old?
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:32:36 pm »
I was walking on Lummi Island, one of the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound, five weeks ago, and saw a sign saying "No Tresspassers. Violators Will Be Shot, Survivors Will Be Shot Again" I wondered if BBM had the first of those (on Aquirre's office) - i.e. did BBM start the fad- or were they around before, and BBM just used one? Is this the same wording as in BBM? The same design?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:34:42 pm by Shuggy »

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "...Tresspassers...Will Be Shot, Survivors..." signs - how old?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 12:40:29 am »
Interesting, Shuggy! My guess would be that the sign came first, and someone involved with the movie spotted it and realized it perfectly both suits Aguirre's personality and sums up the plot of the movie. But who knows?!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 01:26:11 am »
Shuggy.... I have seen these same signs here in Indiana for years... ever since I was a child. Indiana can have a real "red neck" mentality sometimes. Yes, I have seen those very same signs posted all across my state for as long as I can remember.

I hope that helps you a little.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 04:05:10 am »
Shuggy.... I have seen these same signs here in Indiana for years... ever since I was a child. Indiana can have a real "red neck" mentality sometimes. Yes, I have seen those very same signs posted all across my state for as long as I can remember.
I thought it was too good to be true that BBM had started a new craze - not that it is a good one. The locals resent people making parts of the beach private, and it is quite alien to me - all our beaches are public. I guess they checked that the signs were available in 1962?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 11:57:46 am »
Well, I believe I've heard that some of the truck models are slightly anachronistic, so I don't know if they were that careful about some of those little details. But even if the signs didn't appear until some years after, I think I can live with it.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 01:36:46 pm »
It captures a certain attitude about private property that is rather common in some rural areas, especially in the West. And it sets up Aguirre nicely. ;D

While also describing more or less what happens to Jack and Ennis, who "trepass" against society's rules.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 01:42:39 pm »
While also describing more or less what happens to Jack and Ennis, who "trepass" against society's rules.

Wow. You're right.

"...Survivors will be shot again..."

Ouch.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 02:19:55 pm »
Sorry, Shuggy..here i AM. (DID I HEAR AN ECHO?)..THEY WOUOD NEVER HAVE USED THE SIGN IN THE MOVIE IF IT HAD NOT BEEEN AN OLD ONE.

iT'S TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOT
       SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN

and if the added significance of the message didn't hit you THE FIRST TIME YOU SAW THE MOVIE, you must have been asleep...
THE BUCKING BRONCO HAS BEEN OPTIONAL ON ALL WYOMING LICENCE PLATES FOR...PROBABLY SINCE THEY STARTED MAKING LICENCE PLATES IN WYOMING.

Don't know about the trcjk models, but the licence plates are a mess...should not be more than four letters+numbers on any Wyoming licence plate in 1963. Jack has 6, the big truck 5,(and it IS Wyoming),--only Aguirre's has the right number
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:59:49 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 03:34:12 pm »
What in the world does a bucking bronco on a license plate have to do with a trespassing sign?   ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »
Sorry, Shuggy..here i AM. (DID I HEAR AN ECHO?)..THEY WOUOD NEVER HAVE USED THE SIGN IN THE MOVIE IF IT HAD NOT BEEEN AN OLD ONE

iT'S TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOT
       SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN

and if the added significance of the message didn't hit you THE FIRST TIME YOU SAW THE MOVIE, you must have been asleep...
THE BUCKING BRONCO HAS BEEN OPTIONAL ON ALL WYOMING LICENCE PLATES FOR...PROBABLY SINCE THEY STARTED MAKING LICENCE PLATES IN WYOMING.

Don't know about the trcjk models, but the licence plates are a mess...should not be more than four letters+numbers on any Wyoming licence plate in 1963. Jack has 6, the big truck 5,(and it IS Wyoming),--only Aguirre's has the right number
So youre saying they would never have used an anachronistic sign (which would be hard to date) but they did use anachronistic licence plates (which would be easy)?

The added significance of the sign didnt hit me the first time I saw the movie. Hell, the initial significance of the sign didnt hit me the first time I saw the movie, because I hadnt yet encountered Aguirre.

Is there a sense in which Ennis, a trespasser who survived, is shot again?