Author Topic: Beans or sheep?  (Read 15761 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Beans or sheep?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 01:35:03 pm »
I'd let Ennis shoot the elk--I'm a hypocrite: I'm not a vegitarian, but I can't stand killing big stuff; it squishes. Besides, I LOVE venison! Almost as much as Brokeback...

CLICK TO ENLARGE..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:46:17 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Toast

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 01:54:03 pm »
If we were Ennis and Jack, that vegetarian nonsense (sorry) would not have even been on our radar.

We would have shot the elk, dried some of the meat, and roasted lots of it, like their famililes did. 

I would have been so proud to help my buddy Ennis clean up that animal after he did my bidding and got me something other than beans to eat.  I would still enjoy the beans at the right time, but nothing would ever taste as good as that Elk that my buddy got for me that summer of 1963.

I vote for venison - I think elk meat qualifies as venison too, am I right?

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 02:11:17 pm »
Dear, sweet TOAST:

They ate BEANS, didn't they? Whatdoyou mean, nothing vegitable on their radar? That's what Jack was comnplaining about!

I don't mind cooking the elk; I just don't want to kill it--which is why I said i was a hypocrite...

You dion't have to get all huffy about it...

CLICK TO ENLARGE
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 12:50:57 pm »

I have found a solution for the vegetarians.

Ray -

This is GREAT!  Assume you just break off the cauliflower flowers and leave the sheep intact?  How do you keep them from snacking on themselves?!  I think I'm going to steal this image if you don't mind!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:54:30 pm by yaadpyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 02:37:21 pm »
But THAT sheep is all white, and fluffy--not like the ones of BBM. I would love that one...

Offline Toast

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:50 pm »
Huffy?  Moi?

Now Julie you and I  are in agreement here.
we dont want to kiil itl, but we both will enjoy the meat.
face it, Ennis and Jack ate vegs, but I bet their characters would not know what a vegetarian was, back in 1963.
I really enjoy beans, canned too, on the right day, but I like a choice.
If Enis had a steak to stick in that frying pan, I would be so happy to peel potatoes to go with it.
I would share the steak and spuds with you, but I would not share Ennis with you.  - oops

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 08:41:47 pm »
I'd opt for beans, and here are some reasons why: I'm a wimp, and would never stir up trouble intentionally--couldn't fathom killing one of the animals that had been entrusted to my care. Secondly, I rather like beans, and could definitely get through a week, say, subsisting on them. Third, even though I eat meat, I (somewhat hypocritically) would much prefer to let someone else kill my animals for me. Fourth, I'm not a picky eater, and will generally content myself with what is at hand (very unlike Jack in this regard).

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:49:19 pm by moremojo »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
I opted to stick with beans, because they were entrusted with the care of the sheep.

But I do think hunting and shooting that elk was a real manly alternative. ...

And anyway, they got a food delivery every week.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 03:29:14 pm »
I vote sheep.  Heck, there're a thousand of them.  Aguirre wouldn't have missed one.  They're bound for the dinner table anyway - unlike an elk - beautiful wild animal that was living in supposed protected grounds.

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 05:34:10 pm »
Beans. Definately beans. Heck I could have just lived on love.  ::)
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure