Author Topic: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?  (Read 16425 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identified with more?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »
Ennis, unquestionablly I identify with Ennis.

Seeing Ennis on the screen is like having a mirror held up to myself and my life--and not for good or vain reasons. This film has been a very sobering experience. Statistically, my life is probably about two-thirds over, and how much have I lost out on because I let my life be constrained by fear--like Ennis?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »

It really hurts.

Like Jack, I can remember the good times, how this person 'really' was because I did fall in love with something of them, something no one else could see because the man was private, but in the end, all you have are the ashes of your relationship, their issues and the years spent getting nowhere.

I can cry for the Ennis' I've loved, because I know where fear and insecurity can drive a man, but in the end, I'm crying for Jack.

God, del...

*wipes tears*
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:39:27 pm »
Wow, delalluvia  :'(

I know what you mean, though. I'm definitely a Jack. I can be needy, sensitive, emotional, a real 'thinker'..etc. I've definitely had my Ennis'. I'm with a bit of an Ennis right now. Sometimes I feel like screaming: "Just tell me how you feel!!! I write you poems, songs, draw you pictures, tell you 'I love you' in the most elegant & beautiful words than I can, and what do I get? A look?!? A peck on the cheek?!" It's hard to always keep in mind that people feel and express things differently.
One of my first thoughts after seeing that movie was "Man, I hope Jack knew how much Ennis really loved him. Man, will I ever have/share that kind of love?" It really made me reflect myself, my emotions & my relationship.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »
Ennis.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 08:52:20 pm »
I am an Ennis in the sense of being afraid to take a big scary leap. I tend to take the path of least resistance, to eat the beans rather than risk getting in trouble for a missing sheep. But I'm having to make a big life decision now, and keeping Ennis' fate in mind has really helped me put things in perspective.

Meanwhile I also have, like others here, been involved with my share of Ennises in the sense of men with issues. For some reason, that's who I often find attractive (in the same way that I identify with Ennis, regret his mistakes and ALSO think he's adorable). But I have played Jack to these guys enough times to know what that feels like, too. It sucks, of course. I'm hoping that as I grow up I will grow out of this. (I'm 48.)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 11:26:36 pm »
I think I identify more with Ennis, not to parrot everyone's posts or anything. Maybe that's why we all love this movie so much. (kidding...)

Just because Ennis cuts himself off from other people, unfortunately, I tend to do that. And Ennis has a hard time just connecting with the people around him. Yeah, uh, me again. I really felt for Ennis but I also did feel extreme empathy for Jack.

I relate to Jack in that I, like him, am a hopeless dreamer. He seems to be quite a romantic, what with all his hopes of a 'cow-and-calf operation,' and Christ knows when it comes to Brokeback, I am a pathetic romantic. That's why I think, to an extent, I relate to Jack.

I love them both; extremely well-written characters.

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 11:34:03 pm »
More Ennis, but both a little.

Ennis:  too emotionally closed off, guarded, take time to open up to new situations/people, too focused on past regrets.

Jack: optimistic, impulsive, affectionate, restless.

That makes it sound like Ennis has all the crummy qualities and Jack all the nice ones, but I see good things in both of them. 

What a cool question.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 12:14:47 am »
That makes it sound like Ennis has all the crummy qualities and Jack all the nice ones, but I see good things in both of them. 

I know, sometimes we do make it sound like that! I have been tempted at times to start a thread "in defense of Ennis." I think if Ennis had all crummy qualities, Jack probably wouldn't have loved him and we wouldn't either. He's got great qualities, but they're harder to pin down than Jack's.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 01:49:31 am »
That might be a cool thread.  Obviously he does have good qualities.  But for each one I think of, it's kind of mixed.  Like I think loyalty is important to him, but obviously he wasn't totally loyal to Alma.  He's strong in that he can endure a lot, but his strength is also tinged with his stubborness and fear.  I have to think more about what I would consider to be his best qualities. 

I think I'm like Jack in being attracted to that kind of guy as well (especially the non-communicativeness), and boy can that be difficult. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 12:28:26 pm »
...Jack, maybe because he was, like Annie Proulx put it (paraphrasing a bit), "quicksilver, beautiful, hungry, bitterly disappointed over and over, and still able to give so much love and electricity".

I am very much like Jack who is kind, out-going, tender but also tough enough for the hardness of life, hearty, tenacious and caring.  He also dwells in possibility, has a vision of the good life even if he never realizes it entirely.  He keeps trying, he keeps loving, he keeps hoping, he has faith.  That is how I am, accessible and mostly open to good people and good experiences in life.  The odd, even interesting thing is that I find myself in an "Ennis Del Mar Like Land" of my own making. 

What I mean by that is that Ennis is remote, removed, often emotionally rocky.   One of the best image of Ennis' internal life early on is after his first night with Jack when he rides off in the morning.  He rides along a rocky ridge, high up, windy, seemingly near the sky, just Ennis on his horse.  This is, at least in the first part of the movie, truly Ennis.  I understand Ennis, but am not Ennis.  I empathize with Ennis, but cannot live as he lives, but have myself in a remote country, living a very solitary life without much contact, until recently, with anyone I can actually be myself with, and no partner at all.   I am Jack lost in an Ennis Del Mar Like Land and trying to make my way out because, like Jack, I believe there is a way.  I must say though, that while I identify strongly with Jack, I have a bit of Ennis in me too, his anger, his stubbornness, his pain from past trauma and loss.  I am these too.

In a symbolic way, I see Ennis as hard, stark reality and Jack as gentle visions and ideals.  They understand each other, but are opposites, they complete each other too.  Each needs the other to make life bearable, and while they may seem in conflict at times, they are more like the Yin and Yang of The Tao.  For me, when they are together they symbolically balance each other and form "the big picture".

Peace,
Rayn
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:43:47 pm by Rayn »