Author Topic: Favorite Ennis del Mar line  (Read 16775 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Favorite Ennis del Mar line
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 07:15:31 pm »
There is one line from Ennis in the book that didn't make it to the screenplay, and it is the only change that I wish  hadn't happened.

During The Big Kiss after 4 years, Ennis whispers in Jack's ear:  Little Darlin'

Oh I miss this line!  To me, it reveals that Ennis' heart is involved and that the kiss isn't only about having a woodie.  And think about what it would have meant to Jack!  He arrives not knowing exactly what reaction he'll get from Ennis.  The kiss goes a long way to relieve any anxiety he may have had, but it I had been Jack and heard "Little Darlin' " in my ear, I would have dissolved right then and there into the cement sidewalk!   :P
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 03:58:58 pm »
Impish, that';s not fair...I think it's all right to vote for lines IN THE MOVIE that aren';t on the list (I did), but--we ALL miss a LOT of lines from the short story--and they just ain't there...
Gosh, what Ledger could have done with that line..he could have gotten the horses and his kids and Jack all into the same two words..he can do ANYTHING...

To make it fit with Movie Ennis, it wouldn't be your normal term of endearment line..remember,  he..doesn't have any...(b'lieve they call that Tragedy).

Damn...forever damn.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 06:48:27 pm »
Impish, that';s not fair...I think it's all right to vote for lines IN THE MOVIE that aren';t on the list (I did), but--we ALL miss a LOT of lines from the short story--and they just ain't there...

No worries; that wasn't my vote (I voted for a line in the list above).  I just mentioned it in this thread about lines from Ennis.

Gosh, what Ledger could have done with that line..he could have gotten the horses and his kids and Jack all into the same two words..he can do ANYTHING...

Exactly!    If we had seen Ennis call one of his kids "Little Darlin'" -- or to Alma, or a much-loved horse as Annie says he does -- then it would have had all that much more impact when we hear it said in Jack's ear.   Not being a man of words, it's the only term of endearment in Ennis' repertoire.  Why wasn't that included?
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 02:10:32 pm »
I voted for "sending up a prayer of thanks." So touching, then so funny.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 03:18:15 am »
I voted for "sending up a prayer of thanks." So touching, then so funny.

That one is my favorite too...I think it's one of (the only?) time we see Ennis happy and completely at peace.  I think he's saying something about the importance of gratitude, but I tend to over-analyze  :)  I also love 'There ain't no reins on this one.' from the same scene.

-Lynne

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline OddlyEven

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 12:55:40 am »
None of these were my favorite line from Ennis, but I chose the Jack F*ckin' Twist line. I think my true favorite line was the one where he warns Jack about "this thing between us, grabs hold of us...and we're both dead." It's not the exact quote...but I love hearing him say it.
Be my friend, hold me, wrap me up, unfold me, I am small and needy, warm me up and Breathe me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 02:16:29 pm »
Hands down, "Jack fuckin' Twist." When Ennis steps out on the landing, looks down at Jack, and utters that line, I swear he's the happiest we ever see him!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

TJ

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 07:05:59 pm »
The only things that Ennis Del Mar said to Jack Twist before Alma opened the door the 2nd time in 1967 in the book were "son of a bitch" and "little darlin." And, in the book, Jack ran up the stairs, two at a time, to the landing where Ennis was standing. Both of them said, "son of a bitch;" but, I don't think that they were calling each other that, they were just excited to see each other and were at a loss for words. IMO, "son of a bitch" could be interpreted as "Boy howdy! I never thought I would see you again and I sure am too excited to think of something else to say!"

While a modern Ennis might have used the "F-ing" word in talking to a friend he had not seen in several years, back in 1967, the country guys that I was around would have only used the "F-ing" word as the middle or first name of someone they hated with a passion.

Offline korgriff

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 08:51:21 pm »
Voted for the harmonica line, I just love it and Jack laughs and Ennis smiles. *sighs*
My favorite isn't there:

"There ain't no reins on this one."
  I agree with you on this one too Impish!!  It's not fair to vote for only one.

I also liked "Thats the most I've spoke in a year."
"....you got a better idea?" Ennis Del Mar
"I did once." Jack Twist

Offline mike348

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 04:23:29 pm »
Has to be

"Jack, I swear..."

Just devastating.