Author Topic: Meeting Brokies in Person??  (Read 15331 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Meeting Brokies in Person??
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:43:01 am »
This question arises because we've been focusing on how many times we've seen the movie/DVD....

Now, some of us are going to social events to meet other like-minded folks and planning yet more.  Although the movie still forms the essential basis of our relationship, we're moving on to other subjects, getting involved in each others lives.  Quite naturally, friendships are developing that extend beyond the movie that brought us all together.

I'm interested in how many individuals we've met face-to-face that we originally met via the Internet because of Brokeback Mountain...

For the record, I'm not restricting Brokies to BetterMost members.  For instance, in Atlanta, I met a friend of Barb's who is a true Brokie, but not involved in the forum scene.  Also, there were Dave Cullen members who attended but did not create (or use) accounts at BetterMost.  I intend to include all of them, BMost members and non-members alike because it was an Internet connection that brought us together.

Obviously, you can count as you think most accurate. But, for instance, because I've encountered Eric twice, I'm only counting him once.  I'm sure we'll see each other again and again.  Also, I've met Impish although it wasn't for a BBM viewing...it's connections we're counting, not meetings/screenings...OK??

Please feel free to comment on your replies or let me know if I need to change the poll in any way to better represent our answers!!

-Lynne
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:56:45 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Meeting Brokies in Person??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:03:01 am »
Great idea for a poll, Lynne! I've met three Brokies: Lee (in Denver), Celeste (in Chicago) and Amanda (in Pittsburgh). Each meeting was delightful. I like the one-on-one approach, because I feel like I really get to know the person that way -- although, hell, I felt like I knew them pretty well by the time I met them!  :D

Anyway, those rendezvous were all fun, and I hope to meet some others of you as well as get together again with each of those three. And one of these days, I'd love to go to one of those group gatherings. The more photos I see and reports I read, the more I wish I'd been there.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:13:33 am »
Katharine - I agree with you that the personal meetings are really nice because of the one-on-one factor.  That's how I met Impish and though it wasn't 'party and imbibe and go-go-go', it was even better for the intimacy and close conversation without feeling overwhelmed.  I'd like to do more of those as well.  I'm sure as time passes and we remain committed, it will happen!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:58:15 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:26 pm »
The first fellow Brokie I met with whom I had first communicated online was Eric (sfericsf). Along with Eric, I also met Pete (ptannen), and the following day met Judy (ohiomyown) accompanied by Pete. This all happened in my home city. In November, I'll hopefully get to meet Melinda (Sashca1007), who hopes to make it to here while she's in Texas. But Melinda and I have been friends since early 2004, though we've yet to see each other face to face!

Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:08:21 pm by moremojo »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:30:20 pm »
I haven't met any yet, but I'm hoping to me a whole bunch of Brokies next summer in Alberta!!!!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 01:09:38 pm »
I've only met Celeste (YaadPyar) and Andrew (littledarlin), who both live here in the Chicago area. They are both wonderful, and I had a great time. I would LOVE to go to one of those big get-togethers!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 08:13:09 am »
i almost met louisev and mainwriter this summer in london  :(

but i met Jude, Pipedream, Penthesilea and her friend Kirsten, saucycobblers, mikaela, becky and her mum and of course Jura86 in london this month. I was wonderful. it just feels like you've know these people for a really long time!

but those numbers ain't what i'd hoped for neither. But i'll definitely get my numbers up next year in Alberta!!! yeeehaaaw  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:57:49 am »
One month ago I'd met exactly two Brokies; Meryl and Two_mules.

But the last two weekends saw me joining first the EURO Brokie weekend in London, then the NYC Bruncheroo with additional meet-ups in the days following that. Now I can safely say I'm in the 21-40 Brokies met category.

And I can truthfully say that every Brokie I've met has been a distinctly wonderful person!  :) These meetings have been another way in which BBM the story and film has very much enriched my life.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:10 am »
These meetings have been another way in which BBM the story and film has very much enriched my life.

Ditto! It's unbelievable, what a movie (story) can trigger. Sometimes when I step back to think about the whole phenomenon called Brokeback Mountain, I still feel amazed and hardly can believe it. Hardly can believe what it has done to me, to my life.
And to think it is just the same for so many other people, that's... wow!

Two weeks ago, I had never met any Brokie in RL, except for my friend and fellow Brokie from the same village. But never someone I knew from the internet. But two weeks ago, I was in London and met belbbmfan, Mikaela, Jude, Anke, Becky, Becky's mom, James and saucycobblers.
And I too felt like I had known those people for a long time.

I guess Brokie meetings are as addictive as this forum, because I had thought the London gathering would be a one shot thing. It was a crazy idea to attend it, born directly after our fourth viewing of BBM in theatre on our way home. We thought: let's do something crazy, something we would normally never do.
But now I want to go to another Brokie meeting. One shot thing - as if!  ;D
I'll never be able to make it to the other side of the big pond, so I hope there'll be more gatherings in Europe.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:26:45 am »
From our first little get-together in June, when I met David and Lisa, then Louise in London in August and the big NE Bash last weekend...all of the Brokies I have met have been fabulous people. It is a privilege and honor to call you all friends.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!