Author Topic: Good Jake News  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Good Jake News
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:13:21 am »
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060926/115933820300.html

Gyllenhaal, Witherspoon eye spy drama
Tuesday September 26 11:23 PM ET

Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon are in final negotiations to star in the next film from the director of the Oscar-winning South African feature "Tsotsi."

"Rendition" revolves around a CIA analyst based in Cairo whose world spins out of control after he witnesses the interrogation of a foreign national by the Egyptian secret police. Gyllenhaal will play the analyst, while Witherspoon will play the pregnant American wife of the national.

Gavin Hood will direct the New Line Cinema project from a script by Kelly Sane. Shoots are planned for Los Angeles, Washington, Morocco and South Africa starting in November.

Gyllenhaal most recently appeared in "Jarhead" and next stars in "Zodiac," directed by David Fincher.

Witherspoon won a best actress Oscar this year for starring as June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line." She next appears in "Penelope," a fable on which she served as a producer.

Hood's urban crime drama "Tsotsi" won the Oscar this year for foreign-language film.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope it gets the part as it sounds up Jake's alley. A smart sounding film.  Anybody find it odd they mention he most recently appeared in Jarhead?  No mention of BBM.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Good Jake News
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:49:11 am »
sounds good.

Jarhead came out after BBM in the UK I'm sure so it might make sense for it to be most recently as I assume it would be the same release sequence in the US. 
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:17:07 am »
sounds good.

Jarhead came out after BBM in the UK I'm sure so it might make sense for it to be most recently as I assume it would be the same release sequence in the US. 

Actually, in the US, Jarhead came out first, then BBM (even though Jarhead was filmed after BBM).

I'm really not digging how they mentioned Reese's and Tsotsi's Oscar wins but neglected to mention Jake's nod for BBM.  Let's hope it was just an oversight.

In any event, good news indeed!  It does sound like a very smart film.  But then would he ever do a dumb one?  :)

No more beans!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:24:22 pm »
Ooooo, what a treat! Jake and Reese together in a movie... I love both of 'em!
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:15:15 pm »
I'm really not digging how they mentioned Reese's and Tsotsi's Oscar wins but neglected to mention Jake's nod for BBM.  Let's hope it was just an oversight.

Yes. What's up with that?

And BBM was both more recent than Jarhead and more successful at the box office.

I would get excited about it, but I'm going to hold by my rule and only see Oscar-bait movies if people I respect recommend them to me first. Even if Jake's in it. And especially if Jake (or Heath) is in a leading role and BBM is conspicuously not mentioned in the film's pedigree.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:56 pm »
Ooooo, what a treat! Jake and Reese together in a movie... I love both of 'em!

Me too saucycobblers! ;) I think they're among the best actors of their generation - the film "Pleasantville" was mentioned in a recent post here, which just reminded me of her great performance in that film. Hope it all works out!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:29:02 pm »
Yes. What's up with that?

And BBM was both more recent than Jarhead and more successful at the box office.

I'm with you.  BBM was more internationally recognized, a bigger money-maker, massive award-winning movie, and a cultural phenomenon, Jake won a BAFTA for it and they don't mention it in conjunction with him??!?!?

I'm not a big fan of Reese, but will go see anything with Jake.   ;D

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 01:02:59 pm »
Me too saucycobblers! ;) I think they're among the best actors of their generation - the film "Pleasantville" was mentioned in a recent post here, which just reminded me of her great performance in that film. Hope it all works out!

Hey James! It's me... Nicky!! Good to see ya around these parts buddy!! :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 03:10:59 pm »
CONFIRMED.

RENDITION has been added to Jake's filmography on IMDB.com as "pre-production."  2007 is release date.

IMDB's link for the film.   Don't think he'll be playing gay.   :-\   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804522/

I thought he was looking to do "lighter fare," after doing Jarhead, BBM, and Zodiac.  Renditon doesn't sound that comedic.  Oh well, I guess it was too hard to pass up with Reese Witherspoon and the director's previous accomplishments being Tsotsi.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:40:55 am »
He can do anything.  I'm glad he's already got something in the works (and I'll admit it - that it isn't playing Lance Armstrong) - I'd hate to have a Jake drought.
No more beans!