Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2119479 times)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2006, 10:54:48 pm »
Oh, thanks for the Ayr-Way!  Here's a snack.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2006, 11:03:33 pm »
Oh, thanks for the Ayr-Way!  Here's a snack.

LOL

That looks exactly like the meals I use to order when I was a kid!  :D

You're coming across all kinds of pictures of Burger Chef!

I wish I could find some old Ayr-Way pictures. That logo was the only thing I could find.

Yeah, I had one of those puppets too. I suppose every kid in Indiana had one back  then!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2006, 11:11:54 pm »
Google is being helpful tonight!  I was only able to find those Ayr-Way shots I posted last night.  I've been unsuccessfully looking for Topps and other discount stores of the time, but here's another 70's store. 

I bought most of my 45’s there.  Seems like they were 4/$1.  I once spent over $20 and Mom had to supplement.  It took forever to pay that money back!  LOL

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2006, 11:16:35 pm »
Yeah. Topp's was great. I was thinking about Topp's earlier.

I use to ride my bike down to the Topp's on 38th and Arlington. (I wasn't suppose to though).

Then there was Kresge's (sp?) and Haag's drug store at the Devington Shopping Center.

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2006, 11:24:03 pm »
Yeah. Topp's was great. I was thinking about Topp's earlier.

I use to ride my bike down to the Topp's on 38th and Arlington. (I wasn't suppose to though).

Then there was Kresge's (sp?) and Haag's drug store at the Devington Shopping Center.

There was another which has now slipped my mind...  I found nada when googling for Kresge's.  I forgot about Haag Drugstore!  No luck there either.

LMAO-I would have had to ride my bike for an hour to get anywhere, but I often walked along US40 to get to the small ma/pa store near my house.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2006, 11:32:14 pm »
There was another which has now slipped my mind...  I found nada when googling for Kresge's.  I forgot about Haag Drugstore!  No luck there either.

LMAO-I would have had to ride my bike for an hour to get anywhere, but I often walked along US40 to get to the small ma/pa store near my house.

You can pull up a little information about Kresge's on ask.com. I just found out I spelled it correctly too! For some reason, the first time I typed it, it didn't look right.   ???

Of course there was Haag's (they closed their doors for the final time YEARS AGO) and also Hook's Drugs. The last time I saw a Hook's was in Evansville and they closed that store around 1995 or 1996. I haven't seen a Hook's Drugstore since.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:34:16 pm by David925 »

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:47 pm »
You can pull up a little information about Kresge's on ask.com. I just found out I spelled it correctly too! For some reason, the first time I typed it, it didn't look right.   ???

Of course there was Haag's (they closed their doors for the final time YEARS AGO) and also Hook's Drugs. The last time I saw a Hook's was in Evansville and they closed that store around 1995 or 1996. I haven't seen a Hook's Drugstore since.

Kresge's always looked incorrectly spelled in my opinion.  I'll have to check ask, thanks!

We also patronized Hook's and Haag.  Surprisingly, the State Fair Grounds Hook's is still there.  LOL, I visited it both time I attended the state fair this year.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/drugmuse.htm#2

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2006, 11:44:55 pm »
David, this is great!  You're a good writer!  I would love to visit Indiana, especially if I can spend time with you and Zoubeini!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2006, 11:46:41 pm »
David, this is great!  You're a good writer!  I would love to visit Indiana, especially if I can spend time with you and Zoubeini!  :)

Well, you are welcome to come out here anytime you want Littlewing! 

The Hoosier State is waiting for you with open arms.  :D

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2006, 11:47:05 pm »
Marie, you made it!  ;D It would be great to spend time with you too!

I hear you and David are sharing rain tonight.   :laugh: