Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2138282 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4860 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09:38 pm »
Hiya David!

Just checking in to see how you and your dad are.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4861 on: March 11, 2010, 02:05:50 am »
It was in the 70s here today and it almost felt hot outside! lol It's weird because in just a few months when it is in the 90s, those temps will feel cold. :-\

Life in Indiana, I guess.

The flowers are starting to come up (I can see buds on the daffodils and we have violets and snowdrops along the driveway. They have been there for a couple of weeks) and all the snow is now gone. Just brown grass out there atm. And lots of fallen sticks and branches caused from the ice and snow during the winter. I'll have to get out there and pick those up.

We are officially in tornado season now, and the state of Indiana has been running their annual tornado prep drills, including announcements on TV on what to do in the event of a tornado as well as testing all their warning sirens on a regular basis. It's nice to know those sirens work! They must have installed some new ones though, because they are much louder than they were last year. When the tornado went through our neighborhood last year we never heard the sirens. Not until just before the tornado struck. Fortunately it was a weak one, at first they thought it was just straight line winds but later decided it was a weak F1 or whatever it is called.

Did you know there is such a thing as F0 tornadoes? ???

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4862 on: March 11, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »
David you have always been so very kind to me and although  I have not lost  a parent, I had to look after my mum and dad full time when my dad fell off the roof and smashed his hip.
I can only imagine what hard work it must be as the 3 weeks I had nearly drove me scatty. My mum is a full time hypochondriac and is so demanding I had hardly any time to look after my dad (who I adore) and who really did need help when he came out of hospital. My mum even conspired to be "more " ill then my dad  so It was even difficult for me to visit him in hospital.
She refused to move in with me which would have made things a little easier, with a full time job, dad in hospital and 3 kids.
 I am also so desperatley sorry to read you are having panic attacks, they are just the worst and I can only sympathise, nothing seems to make them go away.
I do not know how you manage trying to work, look after your dad and cope with your own issues, you must be worn out. It seems so unfair that you have already gone through so much with your mum. There must be a horrible feeling of deja vue.
Know that I am thinking of you and hoping you get some respite, at least from the panics. Sent with love and big hugs, you have been a really good friend and counsellor for me and if nothing else, I hope that knowing I am here with you in my thoughts helps a little. I know it always helps me. :)

Hi Fiona!

In regards to the panic attacks, I've noticed something that I THINK is helping me and I'd like to share it with you. I've started drinking V8 juice - lots of it. I've been buying my V8 juice in individual cans (six to a pack) which are the same size as coke cans - 12 oz. And I've been drinking two of them a day. Also, I've been buying the V8 V Fusion which is vegetable juice and fruit juice mixed together. I know that sounds disgusting, but you can't taste the vegetable juice at all. It tastes like regular fruit juice and it is delicious tasting when chilled in the refrigerator. I drink one of those each day in addition to the V8 juice. Not only have I noticed a decrease in my panic attacks, but I've also noticed my vision improving as well as an overall improvement in my mood. I just feel better in general. I don't get nearly enough vegetables in my diet (they say we should get five servings per day) and now that I'm drinking those juices I'm getting those 5 servings. Maybe you should look into it.

I still suffer panic attacks if something provokes them (such as Dad's fall in the kitchen last week) but at least they don't seem to be coming out of nowhere and for no apparent reason at all, like they used to. Or if they do, they are much less intense. I'm pleased with the results. Maybe if you bombard your body with lots of fruits and vegetables, you will find it easier to cope. At the very least you'll be adding lots of additional nutrition into your system. :)

Thanks sweetie! And I'm so sorry to hear things are still not going well for you down there in Sarasota. You have no idea how my heart breaks for you when I read about it! Take good care of yourself, okay? We all love you here! :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4863 on: March 11, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »
I should probably point out that the V8 juice in the 12 oz cans has two servings of vegetables in each can. The V8 V-Fusion has 1 serving of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit.

And I've been buying the low sodium version of the V8 juice. I figured I would try it and it tastes salty enough. I LOVE salty foods and drinks! I sometimes will add a little pepper to the V8 juice and it tastes really good with the pepper added to it. I got that idea from a friend of mine.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4864 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »
I'm very glad the fall wasn't serious, David.  I don't know if my stories are helpful or not - if not, just say so and I'll let be.  I think I've told this one before...

Before we realized that Mom really did need watching 24/7, I came home late from work about 10:00 to see my (now her) kitties milling about in the kitchen, fussing and mewling, and twirling around my legs.  I immediately knew something was wrong because they always slept with Mom.  And sure enough, she'd gone to the bathroom and slipped.  She wasn't hurt that time and we bragged about the kitties being such good nurses.   :)

No one has any clue how much work caretaking is until they have done it.  And holding down a job and managing the rest of life's issues, as you say, can get near impossible.  It sounds like you're doing all the right things.  Try to squeeze in some time for yourself here and there if possible...you'll have more stamina and sanity that way.

{{{{{{David}}}}}}

Oh I am sooooo glad those kitties were there to alert you, Lynne! Cats are very smart animals.

And you are correct about trying to fit a little "David time" into my schedule each day. Dad has a beautiful nature park just down the road from his house - Skiles Test Nature Park - and it is so close I can actually walk to it in under 5 minutes. It is full of beautiful trails, most of them very level and a few with small hills. They wind deep into the woods. Now that I'm staying at Dad's house most of the time I'll probably try to get down there at least a few times a week for my walks. It's also a nice area for taking pictures which is something else I really enjoy. I finally broke down and bought a new camera (I lost my old one) and those trails would provide an excellent chance to test it out! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4865 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:16 pm »
(((David))))

Thanks Kelda! :-*

{{{{{KELDA}}}}}

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4866 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:15 pm »
Hiya David!

Just checking in to see how you and your dad are.

Hey Chuck!

Dad is doing pretty well. He hasn't fallen again, thank God! He's still wobbly though. And he's been having a difficult time getting up out of chairs. He often has to attempt it several times before he actually gets UP. They have prescribed a new medication for him to help control his shaking. It is called ativan which is a nerve pill. And those pills are making him very drowsy. It is frustrating because they had been prescribing ativan for him in the past but they ended up discontinuing the prescription. Now they are giving it to him again. He had built up a resistance to the medication and they took it away from him. So now he has to build up his resistance to it once again. It takes about a month. I've taken ativan in the past so I know what the drug feels like. I can't help but think the ativan may have contributed to his fall last week.

He continues to be forgetful though. For example a few days ago he pulled a package of catfish out of the freezer and placed it on the table downstairs in the utility room. He meant to take it up to the kitchen and he forgot all about it. Early yesterday we kept smelling a strong fish smell but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I had assumed perhaps Cody brought a fish in from one of his trips down to the creek. He likes to go down there and catch fish, sun fish mostly, and then bring them in and show them to me. (Yeah, my dog likes to fish! lol) Anyway, Dad had placed some papers over the top of the fish and we finally found it today and threw it out. But now the whole entire house smells of dead fish. I tried spraying air freshener but it didn't help. It just makes the fish odor smell "flowery" which is actually worse. I have some windows opened up (it is pretty warm outside today) and it is slowly getting better in here. God I HATE the smell of dead fish. Disgusting!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4867 on: March 11, 2010, 05:53:45 pm »
I guess now would not be a good time to try to persuade you to try some fish tacos, then...

Here, Cody! Hey, boy! Want to try something really delicious??  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4868 on: March 17, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »

Happy St. Patrick's Day, David!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4869 on: March 17, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »
Thank you sweetie! I hope you have a very happy St. Patrick's Day too! :-*

Don't let any of those leprechauns git ya! And if you manage to find their pot of gold, please share a little of it with me! ;)