Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 598919 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« Reply #690 on: November 16, 2006, 01:14:51 pm »
I do agree that he probably should have been more concerned w/ getting Hinestroza into the country,

That was what I was thinking of, especially since Ennis's been very aware since he learned of what happened to Lureen that Hinestroza knew about what Jack had done and so could not be expected to act against his (H's) own safety and best interests. Ennis always seems like such a worryier and planner-ahead'er, too. But I certainly do get the point about him believing in the system. And as for him not using more thought on just how exactly the system would lure H. to the US, well - Ennis's had other much more weighty and life-altering events and thoughts to occupy his mind and heart.

I sure do *love* SoG, Amy - I hope you don't take the above as criticism. My heart absolutely clenched with pain at this chapter's ending - it hasn't unclenched yet!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:18:22 pm by Mikaela »

midwest-girl

« Reply #691 on: November 16, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
Oh, believe me, criticism is fine!  Speaking of criticism, I sort of wrote this story to be a criticism of the justice system as well (after a decade as a defense attorney I have an ax to grind...LOL).  But seriously, I think most people would be shocked by how slip-shod alot of this stuff is.  I had a case like this a few years ago, representing an alleged hit man and they indicted his boss along w/ him and then at the last minute they told us, "Ooops, can't get him into the country."  And the witnesses in the case were not given any protection.  So it does happen...they system defintely has some GIANT flaws. 

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #692 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:53 pm »

Now this chapter's turn of events I *so* didn't see coming!  :o :o  I thought they'd be captured or found by Madrigal and that would be Jack's hour to sacrifice himself in order to seek redemption for Ortiz.

Me neither. That's what I commented too. I'm just in some kind of a daze. Shocked by these desperate turn of events and stunned by Amy's ability to be able to write this. OMG ~ I just can't even think about the next chapter. I really can't. I really hurt for Jack and Ennis.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #693 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:14 pm »
And I just kept going on and on about the bloody WP programme! Oh man.....I can't believe this. Poor sweet Jack. Poor Ennis. Will Jack be gone when Ennis gets out of the shower?  :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #694 on: November 16, 2006, 03:11:02 pm »
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o

More coherent comment once I have calmed down....

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #695 on: November 16, 2006, 06:38:15 pm »
**spoilers**

I've been gone, doing a work-out routine and exercises of an evening, and the session whizzed past in no time because I was thinking about SoG.

This fic is so addictive I think Mr. Hinestroza would have made more money secretly selling SoG chapters than his current "line of business". Heck, he could have made a comfortable living as a black marketeer of tiny chapter 14 spoilers.

Back home I read the chapter through more slowly and attentively. The first time I read a new chapter I tear through it at breakneck speed to find out what happens. I miss the nuances that way, some of those little things to savour. Reading more carefully now, I'm so incredibly impressed with the quality of the writing, the imagery, the seeming ease with which emotions and situations and characters are communicated in a few well-chosen words and visuals to the readers, hitting them hard, not letting go.

I loved the guys' reminiscing about childhood at the beginning, and Ennis's body taking on the rainbow colours. Nice nod to his newfound identity.  :)

The plot development made more sense to me this time around, - it didn't seem as strange to me now that Ennis hadn't questioned more about what was happening with getting Hinestroza into the country. Amy's comments above also helped a lot with that.  :) With a few little touches Colin also seemed more like a real living breathing human being, understanding much more of what is goiig on that he lets on, and seemingly with some real human decency remaining in him too. I wonder if he'll play a further role in the upcoming events....

I'm so impressed with the way Jack's reaction to the news that he's "on his own" is described. The stillness in him, the lack of useless rage, the not-quite-hidden mental and physical exhaustion in addition to the fear over what he's about to do.... the letting go of life, as it were  - deep down Jack probably thinks he deserves shitty things happening to him because of Ortiz, because of the way he was treated as a kid, even. And what a lot of horrible stuff has happened to him since that time!

I wonder if Jack will be gone when Ennis returns from his shower; - just a note left behind to explain? Will Jack bring the driver's licence with him to have something of Ennis with him for a little while longer? Or will Jack stay for a while before he goes? How will he let Ennis know of the deal he's made (assuming Hinestroza accepts his offer) - he does have to let Ennis know since his aim is that Ennis not look over his shoulder for the rest of his life. Will the fact that the call was made from Ennis's cell phone be of any importance in the further development?

I'm going to be thinking about this until next chapter is posted! And while the Thanksgiving celebration is well and truly deserved, and I do hope all you Americans here have a great time during the holidays, us poor Europeans will be sitting around next Thursday;  neither SoG nor stuffed turkey in sight. It's going to be a dreary Thursday, you bet!  ::)

I understand why readers of SoG keep quoting passages of the fic in their comments. It's all just so quotable, as it all makes such an impact. I'll be doing that this time too, in a small way. This little description sticks with me and sends chills through me every time I think about it:

"He looked at peace; he looked already gone."

What a stab to the heart!  :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( Poor Jack! **sniff**

Amy, you've outdone yourself. Thank you for this fic. Have a lovely Thanksgiving.  :)

Edited because it's too late for me to manage English spelling!  ::)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:58:16 pm by Mikaela »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #696 on: November 16, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »
finally got to read this and all I can say is oh my god... I seriously left the most insane, rambling comment on Amy's journal which mostly consisted of me quoting her brilliant writing. This was my favorite chapter yet... and that ending... somebody fucking kill me right now, I about died when Jack did that.

Ok, I need to go calm down somewhere...  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #697 on: November 16, 2006, 11:43:38 pm »
I  hope I'm not rudely barging into this thread. I apologize if I am. But I just felt like I should compliment Amy on her wonderful story!!  :D

I am not a fan of fanfic (no pun intended), but Melissa is. For the past several months, she has been gently encouraging me to read some fanfic here on Bettermost. Today she pointed me to "Shades of Grey" and I thought I would give it a try. I read through the first four chapters within an hour and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thank you Amy for creating such a wonderful story and thank you Melissa for telling me about it!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

midwest-girl

« Reply #698 on: November 17, 2006, 12:16:10 am »
You're welcome, David!  I'm so glad you're enjoying the story!   :)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #699 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:09 am »
Glad you made it over here, David. BrokebackJack was the only male on this thread.

Anyway you all, here's a couple more photos of the cocky son of a bitch.