Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 599001 times)

mvansand76

Re: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« Reply #920 on: December 04, 2006, 07:30:24 am »
Oh, and I'm looking forward to Colin reaction to all that has happened.

Me too, I think that Colin will prove to be a good friend, but he will urge Ennis to tell him the truth...

one_of_one

« Reply #921 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:38 am »
June and I were talking about this the other day, and we both wondered if the next chapter would be the last one, because things seem to be wrapping up now. 

Which brings me to a question.  Amy, I know someone asked you a while ago about how many chapters there would be and you didn't want to say.  Why is that?  It interests me why authors don't want to reveal this.  Mainly, I think, because when I go into a bookstore or whatever and buy a book I know exactly how long it's going to be.  I know when I'm at the beginning, I know when I'm in the middle, and I know when I'm coming to the end.

I read if I Asked quite some time after it had finished, but I do remember seeing that readers had been surprised when it ended, and some thought it had ended suddenly.  But when I read it I knew exactly how long it was going to be and it felt quite complete when I did get to the end.  As an aside I must be the only person who had completely forgotten about the mirror sex scene.   ::)

I know that for a lot of authors they don't really know how long their fic is going to be, which is fair enough, but if you have an idea why not say?

one_of_one

« Reply #922 on: December 04, 2006, 07:44:51 am »
Me too, I think that Colin will prove to be a good friend, but he will urge Ennis to tell him the truth...

I think it would be good if Ennis told Colin the truth.  He needs to take the lead in his own life, like others have said, and coming out to Colin (properly, I mean, it's obvious Colin knows something of what's happened) is one thing he could do.  Let's face it he doesn't have anyone else to talk to.  I also think he needs to tie things up properly with Alma.  To take responsibility in other words.

What the hell Jack is going to do I have no idea.  His issues won't be fixed in a day or a month or six months so i'm wondering how long it will be before Ennis and Jack get back together.  For Ennis to sort himself out and get to a place where he can live as the man he is, and for him to have got something sorted career-wise, I would say two to three months.  For Jack...well, he needs professional help because his issues are so deeply ingrained I don't think he could ever get himself to a position where he believes himself worthy.  Not by himself.  Whether this happens before or after he gets back with Ennis I don't know, but it will take a long time for him to feel anything like a worthwhile person.  I'm intrigued as to how Amy will get Jack to a position where he can at least accept Ennis back into his life, if nothing else.

:)

mvansand76

« Reply #923 on: December 04, 2006, 08:26:50 am »
I think it would be good if Ennis told Colin the truth.  He needs to take the lead in his own life, like others have said, and coming out to Colin (properly, I mean, it's obvious Colin knows something of what's happened) is one thing he could do.  Let's face it he doesn't have anyone else to talk to.  I also think he needs to tie things up properly with Alma.  To take responsibility in other words.

What the hell Jack is going to do I have no idea.  His issues won't be fixed in a day or a month or six months so i'm wondering how long it will be before Ennis and Jack get back together.  For Ennis to sort himself out and get to a place where he can live as the man he is, and for him to have got something sorted career-wise, I would say two to three months.  For Jack...well, he needs professional help because his issues are so deeply ingrained I don't think he could ever get himself to a position where he believes himself worthy.  Not by himself.  Whether this happens before or after he gets back with Ennis I don't know, but it will take a long time for him to feel anything like a worthwhile person.  I'm intrigued as to how Amy will get Jack to a position where he can at least accept Ennis back into his life, if nothing else.

:)

Oh yes, Ennis will definitely have to come out to Colin, that's his first step and I do hope Colin will be the friend Ennis thought he had and that he will support him in the process of finding what he needs and wants in life.

I have been worrying too about how Jack is going to deal with this stage of his life and how he is going to do it on his own, because he has practically nobody in his life to talk to now. Before, I was able to speculate what was going to happen, but now, at this point, I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen, which is frustrating and exciting at the same time.

one_of_one

« Reply #924 on: December 04, 2006, 08:58:01 am »
I just keep remembering the odd snippets of Jack's past life, the aimless driving around, the looking into other peoples' lives from outside, his conflicting emotions towards the man who manipulated him, his lack of hope with regards to himself and Ennis.

I think that Jack needs Ennis's support, and Ennis sorting out his own issues will put him in a better position to be able to do this.  Jack has psychological problems and whereas using Ennis as a crutch won't help, having Ennis as a support mechanism will.

I've said before that Ennis can tell Jack a million times that he is a good person, but it won't make Jack believe it.  But I think that having Ennis in his life - a sorted Ennis - to be there for him when he needs it, will provide a strong foundation for Jack to start believing in himself.

Jack believes he failed by not dying. They have a long way to go whatever happens.

mvansand76

« Reply #925 on: December 04, 2006, 09:38:52 am »
Jack believes he failed by not dying. They have a long way to go whatever happens.

Very well-put, it could take years to get over so many traumatic experiences in a row. Oh I'm worried about Jack....  :'(

midwest-girl

« Reply #926 on: December 04, 2006, 10:09:26 am »
Helen, usually I don't like to say how many chapters because I honestly don't know.  I'm not a big outliner when I write and if you'd asked me at the beginning how long this fic was going to be I would have said eight chapters.  LOL.  But one thing I do know for certain, this next chapter is not the last one.  There will be at least a few more.  I don't think the boys can get everything resolved in one chapter.  Does that help?

one_of_one

« Reply #927 on: December 04, 2006, 10:27:31 am »
Helen, usually I don't like to say how many chapters because I honestly don't know.  I'm not a big outliner when I write and if you'd asked me at the beginning how long this fic was going to be I would have said eight chapters.  LOL.  But one thing I do know for certain, this next chapter is not the last one.  There will be at least a few more.  I don't think the boys can get everything resolved in one chapter.  Does that help?

LOL - that's fair enough :) I'd got the impression somewhere along the line that you knew... :)   ( Totally OT: I found an old outline of Modern Way and it was six chapters altogether....)  ;D ;D ;D

A few more.....music to my ears.  :-*

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #928 on: December 04, 2006, 11:28:49 am »
I think that Jack needs Ennis's support, and Ennis sorting out his own issues will put him in a better position to be able to do this.  Jack has psychological problems and whereas using Ennis as a crutch won't help, having Ennis as a support mechanism will.

I completley agree, I think that is very well said. I was in favor of Jack and Ennis separating at the end of the last chapter (I know, am I insane??) but it was because of what you've said here that it made sense to me. Jack needs to learn to deal with his issues for himself and become a better man for himself not for Ennis and not by using Ennis as a crutch because that would lead toward the same sort of unhealthy attachment to Ennis that he had to Heinstroza. I think that even if Jack hasn't sorted all his issues out yet but that he can learn to go to Ennis as a support system and not use him as a crutch, then they should be able to get through this together. And I think Jack knows that. I think he realizes he puts all of his self-worth in other peoples feelings for him and that he needs to move past that.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #929 on: December 04, 2006, 12:24:28 pm »

I've said before that Ennis can tell Jack a million times that he is a good person, but it won't make Jack believe it.  But I think that having Ennis in his life - a sorted Ennis - to be there for him when he needs it, will provide a strong foundation for Jack to start believing in himself.

Such great points you've made here H and so terribly sad  :(