Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 599429 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: "Shades of Grey" Discussion Thread **Spoilers**
« Reply #1120 on: January 20, 2007, 05:22:47 am »
This is about as close to the SoG Ennis as I can find....

David - I see the Shades of Grey Ennis as being very clean-cut and straight-laced, with neat haircut, wearing  a dark business suit, silk necktie and mirror sunglasses  8) Not the scruff-ball above LOL  :o  I don't know that I've ever seen Heath in a business suit LOL  :-\
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:15:11 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #1121 on: January 20, 2007, 06:26:33 am »
Well, there are some SOG-Ennis pictures posted on the original thread! In suit and all if I remember correctly.... ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 20, 2007, 07:00:13 am »
Another SoG Jack picture.

I love the "James Dean" look...

Hmmm, Not much in the "buns" department there, sadly  LOL :-\  Amy describes SoG Jack as being very fit, working-out daily. I imagined him as having more curvaceous buns than this LOL  :P

I have always been of the opinion that Jake's greatest asset is his beautiful face; specifically his gorgeous, sad eyes!  :-*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:14:01 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 20, 2007, 07:04:51 am »
Yeah, I know I said I would stop...

I WAS LYING!

For some reason, I always pictured Dane looking a bit like Orlando Bloom...

Hmm, I don't know who Orlando Bloom is   ???  Looks a bit plain to me LOL   :-\  Can't imagine Jack being interested in ol' Orly when there's a prize stud like Ennis sniffing about  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #1124 on: January 20, 2007, 07:08:03 am »
Hmmm, Not much in the "buns" department there, sadly  :-\  I have always been of the opinion that Jake's greatest asset is his beautiful face; specifically his gorgeous, sad eyes!  :-*

The gorgeous sad eyes and... the hair.... THE HAIR!!!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #1125 on: January 20, 2007, 07:08:53 am »
Oh sorry, let's get back to discussing SOG, how far are you in the story Kerry?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05:18 am »
Oh sorry, let's get back to discussing SOG, how far are you in the story Kerry?

Thank you for asking. I have just come back after taking a dinner break and am about half-way through SoG so far. I didn't necessary take the break because I was hungry. I took the break because I was feeling absolutely devastated! I felt like my intestines had been ripped out and draped around my apartment!

I feel like I've been on an emotional rollercoaster with this story, ranging from the heights of  exhilarating elation to the depths of utter despair. I have been either laughing out loud or weeping profusely, to the point where I could not see the screen at times, as a result of both of those emotional extremes.

Between times, I have literally suffered stomach cramps as a result of the profound levels of underlying sexual tension, literally sparking off the screen.

I would like to give David a big thank you for bringing SoG to my attention. Thank you, David! I am loving this story. I must confess, however, that I was dubious, when David first suggested I read it. I was OK with Ennis being an FBI agent. But Jack, a criminal? I wouldn't allow myself to even imagine such a sacrilege! But that was then, not now.

There is so much about this story that's good excellent, I can't begin to quote a specifically favourite bit, in particular. However, having said that, there are two quotes that I'd like to re-quote here, that produced overtly wrenching emotional reactions in me:

"He touched your face, and you liked it."

and

"But when Ennis came . . . it was with Jack's face behind his eyelids and Jack's name against his lips."

Amy has believably and convincingly drawn upon and utilised many of the expressions, mannerisms and intonations of Jack & Ennis, with which we are all familiar. I found that some of my most devestating emotional reactions came as a result of the utilisation of this device by Amy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the word pictures Amy created, allowed me to "see" Jack and Ennis in these roles. This moved me profoundly.

I hope to read the remainder of SoG this evening and look forward to enjoying forthcoming lively discussion. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:11:57 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #1127 on: January 20, 2007, 10:05:59 am »
Kerry I am so happy that you decided to read SOG. I remember David reacted the same way when I told him about the premise before he read it... he thought it was crazy...and he ended up liking it as much as you do! I only started reading when it was at eight chapters because I thought it was such a silly premise, but then I thought about Amy's first fanfic (If I Asked) and how that was my favorite so far, I decided to give it a go!

When you are done reading this story, you should read Amy's If I Asked, it's a classic!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1128 on: January 20, 2007, 03:16:41 pm »
Don't thank me, Kerry. Thank Melissa. Just think, if she hadn't told me about SoG, I  would have never told you!

And Melissa is correct. I was very skeptical when she first told me about Amy's story. I remember I was intrigued after I finished with chapter one; I was completely hooked after chapter 2.

Re Ennis pictures: actually I picture Ennis looking like BBM Ennis, only without a cowboy hat! But remember SoG Ennis probably didn't wear his business clothes in the apartment. Sometimes he barely wore anything at all!  :)

I'm having a difficult time finding good SoG Ennis pictures. I found a few, but Heath's hair was too short; almost shaved.

I dunno Kerry. I'll keep looking!

Edit: Typos, typos.... lots and lots of typos.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:19:38 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1129 on: January 20, 2007, 03:25:05 pm »

Amy has believably and convincingly drawn upon and utilised many of the expressions, mannerisms and intonations of Jack & Ennis, with which we are all familiar. I found that some of my most devestating emotional reactions came as a result of the utilisation of this device by Amy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the word pictures Amy created, allowed me to "see" Jack and Ennis in these roles. This moved me profoundly.

I hope to read the remainder of SoG this evening and look forward to enjoying forthcoming lively discussion. 

Amy did a beautiful job of preserving the Ennis and Jack we all fell in love with on BBM.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.