Author Topic: Counting Down to the End of....Downton Abbey  (Read 244750 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Have you been watching … (Julian Fellowes's) Downton Abbey?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 10:38:11 am »
I always liked her!   :D

I did, too. We had a "45" (remember them?  ;D ) of "Downtown." It might still be lying around somewhere.  :laugh:

I never realized she had quite the impact that she clearly did.

Clark's recording successes led to frequent appearances on American variety programs hosted by Ed Sullivan and Dean Martin, guest shots on Hullabaloo, Shindig!, The Kraft Music Hall, and The Hollywood Palace.

I remember all those old shows, too!

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

Now--not  parody, but the real thing,
second season:

Thanks, Aloysius, for posting these previews.

Does anybody know when PBS in the States -and by extension in Canada, where I am - plans to start showing the second series? I'm much looking forward to it though from the previews it looks as though the mood and tone will be much changed by the outbreak of the First World War.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:21:52 pm by chowhound »

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 03:28:26 pm »
I was reading about Downton Abbey in the Australian online papers when I was travelling in Europe in May and June. I hoped I would see it when I returned to NZ in July only to find it was on in NZ before Australia. I thought I would have to buy a DVD. However they are replaying the first series before they show the 2nd series so I have now watched 2 programs. I was disappointed in the first program mainly because the homosexual scene was between 2 unsavoury characters. I enjoyed part 2 last Saturday night.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
My sister in England asked me not to phone her between 9.00 and 10.30pm this last Sunday as the first installment of the second series of Downton Abbey would be showing. I phoned at 10.40 to get her initial reactions. These were very positive though she didn't want to tell me much as she knew I would be seeing it over here at some point.

So does anybody know when we in Canada and the States will get to see it? Personally, I can't wait.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »
My sister in England asked me not to phone her between 9.00 and 10.30pm this last Sunday as the first installment of the second series of Downton Abbey would be showing. I phoned at 10.40 to get her initial reactions. These were very positive though she didn't want to tell me much as she knew I would be seeing it over here at some point.

So does anybody know when we in Canada and the States will get to see it? Personally, I can't wait.

I think one of the above articles suggested it would be released here some time after the first of the year.

The previews look great!

I've been re-watching the first season on Netflix:  just as good the second time around. 

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/10/13/downton_abbey_season_2_is_streaming_illegally_shouldn_t_pbs_just.html

Downton Abbey  Season 2:
Shouldn’t PBS Just Air It, Already?

By Cindy Y. Hong
Posted Thursday, Oct. 13, 2011, at 11:59 AM ET

Dan Stevens and Michelle Dockery in Downton Abbey.

The second season of Downton Abbey  premiered on September 18, 2011 in the U.K. But U.S. fans still need to wait until January 8 of next year to find out how the aristocratic Crawley family weathers modernity, entails, and World War I. Of course, impatient American viewers may seek unauthorized online sources in the meantime. Given that illegal streaming and downloading have become so common, why is PBS waiting almost four months to release the second season of Downton Abbey?

PBS says it comes down to the logistics of editing episodes and fitting Downton Abbey  in with a busy fall season. “Programs are made for U.K. broadcast lengths, which require re-editing to fit our PBS time slot,” PBS’ Masterpiece producer Rebecca Eaton stated in an email, “And, since our Masterpiece schedule showcases our Classic programming in the winter, we’re beginning Downton Abbey  season 2 in January 2012.”

PBS’s decision will disappoint American fans of British television who had hoped that BBC America’s Doctor Who  would usher in a new era of same-day broadcasting of U.K. shows. Earlier this year, the entire final season of Doctor Who  aired on the same day worldwide in an attempt to bring fans together. “We listened to our fans who wanted to be part of a global conversation,” said Richard DeCroce, Senior Vice President of Programming at BBC America. Same-day airings limited spoilers while also staving off potential revenue loss from illegal viewing of the show.

PBS, however, may have less reason to be concerned with erosion from online streaming and downloading than BBC America did. Derek Kompare, a film and media arts professor at Southern Methodist University, believes that it’s valuable for networks to consider demographics on a show-by-show basis. For instance, delaying broadcast could build anticipation among older viewers who are less likely to use online streaming. Though a PBS spokesperson acknowledged via email that “resourceful fans will try to find a way to watch season two before the … PBS broadcast,” they also believe that many fans will tune in come January. “Also, we know that true Downton addicts will watch the series more than once.”
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline brianr

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »
I have been watching the reruns of Downton Abbey series 1 on Saturday night and, after not likeing episode 1, enjoying the rest. It finishes this Saturday. Just checked when series 2 is starting and am most upset to find it is next Tuesday. I am flying to Australia on Tuesday for a school reunion that night returning on Thursday. Will have to research how to find it on the net.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »

I purchased the first CD from them when they put it up for sale.  I did not
know however, that there is to be an episode 2.
     Does it have the same cast?

Beautiful mind

Offline brianr

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »

I purchased the first CD from them when they put it up for sale.  I did not
know however, that there is to be an episode 2.
     Does it have the same cast?
I have read there are to be 3 series. The promos for series 2 shows many of the same characters as in Series 1. It is set during WW1

Offline brianr

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:09 pm »
I managed to set up my VHS recorder back in October (had not set it up since I moved from Australia to NZ in January 2010 (I do not watch much TV) and recorded the first episode of 2nd series. The series finished last night in NZ (has not started yet in Australia and I gather in US). Now I cannot wait for series 3  :(. Much was left up in the air.