Author Topic: Leviticus  (Read 19560 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Leviticus
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:56:58 am »
You are right.  I think it's saying "Change the sheets"

:laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:25 am »
There are only a very few verses that at face value appear to condemn the Gays. This is the worst of them, and it's a plain and simple lie on the part of the translators.

The problem that they faced was that the text said "Do not lie with a man in the wife's bed." That text itself reveals something about the writers of Leviticus that the translators did not want us to know: men had sex with men elsewhere besides the wife's bed, and God did not have a problem with it.

This was unacceptable to the translators, or more precisely to the culture they were working in. (I wouldn't be surprised if the translators themselves were homosexuals, tormented by their society.)

So they changed it to meet the demands of the culture and the people paying for the translation. The routine of mis-translating this particular verse was propagated across translations, because everybody hates a queer.

As a result, what we see in the English, Latin, and other translations of Leviticus is a straight-up lie.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 02:07:46 am »
"Change the sheets"
 :)  Exactly! Consider that in the polygamous society where this was written - and don't forget the concubines! - the bed belonged to the wife. The husband came to whichever wife or concubine he happened to choose, but it was her bed. It belonged to her, not to the two of them together.

This verse instructs the Hebrews not to have sex with a man in the wife's bed because that was "the kind of thing the idolators do." The idolators of course being the usual despised "other" - you can pick any group that somebody might choose to hate.

Every bit as spiritual and god-breathed as "Eww, don't do that, that's like something poor people would do."
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:50 am »
That's the Hebrew Bible, though, what does the Christian bible say?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:23:59 am »
Now, don't get me wrong children. If that verse did say what they claim, it would just be crap.

But we are constantly attacked with this verse, and for me it's interesting to see that the God being described here is actually just fine with men having sex together.

If the people who hate us knew what it actually said, would they let go of their hate?

No. They would throw away their Bibles.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:25:35 am »
That's the Hebrew Bible, though, what does the Christian bible say?
Do you mean what does the Christian version of Leviticus say versus what the Hebrew version says?

If that's what you're asking, then the Hebrew text of Leviticus is the same as the Leviticus of the Christian Bible. There is no difference.

Don

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:46 am »
Now here is what those words mean in English:

ואת         and with
־זכר         a man
לא           do not
תשכב      lie down
משכבי      wife
אשה         bed
תועבה      idolatry
הוא           he or it

God speaks like Yoda? Who knew?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »

Don

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »
Do you mean what does the Christian version of Leviticus say versus what the Hebrew version says?

If that's what you're asking, then the Hebrew text of Leviticus is the same as the Leviticus of the Christian Bible. There is no difference.

No, that's not what I meant.

While a great many use the Hebrew Bible condemnations, there are still others in the Christian "New Testament".  The passages in Romans I I Corinthians and I Timothy talk about and condemn homosexuality.