Author Topic: Everybody Wins Except Wal-Mart  (Read 2917 times)

TheStudDuck

Everybody Wins Except Wal-Mart
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
I'd like to start off by saying that sometimes the things I do can be considered very unethical and I don't want to be considered as a role model for anybody at Chez Tremblay.  I will probably be going to Hell.

I don't believe anything I've done or am doing is illegal... but it is probably very immoral.  With that said, it just shows how much of a Brokeback Mountain fan I am and I have some very awesome news to share with my fellow Brokies.

I've already had the DVD for a week and a half, thanks so much to Clarissa and Jenny -- I'm still so very grateful.  However, you must have heard that Best Buy was handing out free Story to Screenplay books with the purchase of the DVD.  I've been wanting to have that book for quite some time, and since Best Buy's DVD sale price was $16.99 and the book has a market value of $16.00... it was like I was paying for the book and just getting the second DVD for free.

Although, since I don't have much money currently and there are other movies that I want to buy, I wanted to own something different besides a second copy of Brokeback Mountain.  I had my heart set on Capote.  So after I got my book and my DVD, I took the DVD over to Wal-mart -- because, in case you didn't know, Wal-Mart will take back anything that they have in their catalog... whether it came from them or not.  (I have many anecdotes about my abusing this, but I won't go into that here.)

Since it was slightly after 10am, I needed to come up with a good lie for a reason to be taking it back so soon.  I mean, seriously, it had been on sale for twelve hours.  I had a good one though... ahem... my sister picked it up earlier for me, but she had accidentally bought the widescreen edition and I wanted the fullscreen edition (note that I despise fullscreen, which is why I bought widescreen at Best Buy).  I said I forgot to ask her for the receipt and figured they would just put the money on a gift card and let me go pick up what I wanted and go through the register like they usually do.  Sadly she "did me a favor" and was going to help me avoid the lines at the register and just do the exchange right there at customer service.  I couldn't just change my story, "uh, yeah, I want Capote instead."  So I picked up the fullscreen copy and exchanged it.  It doesn't end here, though.

Since the thing that I have now actually came from Wal-Mart... it'll be much easier to lie about how my mom bought it there for me, but I didn't want it, I wanted something else instead.  Blah blah blah.  However, I realized that if I wait a week... I will have contributed to the first week receipts in stomping Crash Director's Cut.

Actually, I had thought about this prior... and I if I did my logic correctly, the Best Buy would have gotten the sale in their receipts and my taking it back to Wal-Mart would not have caused any sort of disruption to the system.  Wal-Mart simply would have gotten an extra copy added to their inventory and they could sell it again.  Is that right?  Oh, well, it doesn't matter...

Because I figured I will wait until after the first week so that it definitely contributes to the first week receipts... and then I will take it back to Wal-Mart once again with a new lie about why I don't want it.  It's still unopened and they can sell it, what do they care?  And because I'll be waiting after the first week, the sale price will then have ended -- and they'll be giving me back $19.99 instead of $16.97 (because they will then be able to resell it for $19.99).

So once I take it back... if this all goes according to plan -- and it should -- I should come out with a $16 Story to Screenplay Brokeback Mountain book for free... have contributed to the first week receipts to help Brokeback Mountain beat Crash Director's Cut... and I will have scammed the evil Wal-Mart for $3.02 (the profit on top of the money I fronted) which I will then put forth towards a Capote DVD.

UPDATE:  I also got reward zone points for making a purchase at Best Buy which will then turn into cash once I get enough of them.

Am I going to Hell or what? -- Again, I don't believe any of this is illegal... but damn, it must be unethical, right?  At least the Story to Screenplay book has gone to someone who will appreciate and cherish it for the rest of his days.  I kept it from going to some shmuck that'll sell it for a quarter in a garage sale in ten years.

I do intend on picking up another Brokeback Mountain DVD somewhere down the road... it's just so many good movies have come out recently and... yeah... it'll have to wait just a little bit.

Please don't use me as a role model... I've simply just found a way for the system to work for me.

Just thought I would share my little anecdote.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:22:56 pm by TheStudDuck »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: Everybody Wins Except Wal-Mart
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:27:43 pm »
LOL!

You go girl!
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:42:31 pm »
My goodness, aren't you the devious one?  And here I thought you were just gonna say that you stole into Wal-Mart and hid all their copies of Crash under Cheaper By the Dozen II so as to make it so no one would be bumping their numbers at that store today.  Don't ask me why I thought that.  Me, I, uh, I dunno...
No more beans!

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:52:37 pm »
ROFL good one barby, that's one place that no one will ever look :D

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:09:22 pm »
Lesson learned: When exchanging something at any store without a receipt, tell them it was a gift and that you already had it, so you want to exchange for a gift card/store credit (the cashiers are generally relieved when you don't start screaming about cash money coming back to you - without a receipt that is not generally an easy option).  As long as it is factory sealed, it will go straight back into inventory, so the store won't really be out anything.  Unsold DVD's are returned to the distributor for credit or, in some places, the rack jobber takes unsold merchandise away and the store wasn't out anything to begin with.  At Wal-Mart, the ultimate insult occurs when the staff pulls DVD titles off the sheld and unceremoniously dumps them into the $4.99/$3-10 megabin.  Heaven forbid the day if we ever have to search for BBM amongst Ron Schneider and Ernest movies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:12:44 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

TheStudDuck

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 03:01:10 pm »
pumps and a bump for my wal-mart anecdote

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »
LOL - David hunny, aren't you the naughty one  >:D hehe,  :-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 03:17:51 pm »
David, David David

I'll see you in Hell come the Pentacost...

Heathen

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:56:29 pm »
exactly the opposite.  that's possibly the most ETHICAL thing i've ever heard.  it's very robin hood of you.   :angel:
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 04:01:52 pm »
LOL! I love that story!  ;D And now that I know best buy is giving out story to screenplay books I'm considering bringing my copy back to target and heading out to best buy!! do you know if every best buy is doing that? or just the one in your area?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73