Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 316444 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »
I believe the chair for the mother of the groom should be respectfully left vacant, and if its not I dont know if I want to watch the wedding.

Sue, I hadn't even considered the possibility of that tramp sitting in the mother-of-the-groom chair.  Eek!  That would be horrifying.  I wonder if the British people have warmed to Camilla at all over the years.  I certainly hope not.  Maybe Kelda can chime in on that?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »
I think they have warmed to her to some degree.. but to be honest I don't really care.

As for keeping a seat free.... I doubt they'll do that. At the end of the day while Wills would no doubt want his Mum there - she's not....So why diss Camilla who he is apprarently very fond of?

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline oilgun

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:49 pm »
I think they have warmed to her to some degree.. but to be honest I don't really care.

As for keeping a seat free.... I doubt they'll do that. At the end of the day while Wills would no doubt want his Mum there - she's not....So why diss Camilla who he is apprarently very fond of?

He may be fond of her but I'm sure he's thankful that she's not his mother, lol!  Can you imagine what Charles and Camilla's kids would look like!  Yikes!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »

Because she was one of the causes of his mother's misery, depression, suicide attempts and eating disorders?  His father's selfishness being Diana's number one problem?  Will has obviously made an attempt to keep peace in the family, but that doesn't mean he could/should treat his father and stepmother as if nothing was ever wrong and they're completely without blame.

Offline brianr

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:55 pm »
Because she was one of the causes of his mother's misery, depression, suicide attempts and eating disorders?  His father's selfishness being Diana's number one problem?  Will has obviously made an attempt to keep peace in the family, but that doesn't mean he could/should treat his father and stepmother as if nothing was ever wrong.
I have tried to stay out of this. The whole affair was very sad. But Charles was in love with Camilla long before he met Diana.They are soul mates.  He was advised by Lord Mountbatten and probably others that Camilla would not be suitable as his bride (for some of the reasons stated here, the woman cannot help her looks). He was advised to find a good looking fashion plate which he did. The fact that they were completely incompatible was not considered. A hundred years ago it would have not been a problem. Kings married for dynastic reasons and had mistresses. Edward VII (son of Queen Victoria)  was the last in England to do this.  The Queens enjoyed the public position and tolerated the affairs.
Times have changed. Such conflicts caused the abdication of Edward VIII and later misery for Princess Margaret who gave up her love for duty. 
Diana would not accept such a situation and now we can say Charles probably should not have married her. 
Obviously Diana suffered most but she also made some bad decisions. William seems to have accepted Camilla (he was a legal witness at their wedding). I am glad Charles and Camilla seem to have found some happiness now.  I am pleased that William has apparently been able to find true love in a person who also has glamour and looks and so pleases the population (and fashion mags).
Are we not here because of a film which shows the misery that results when society pressures people to marry unwisely. I am so thankful that I realised in time and broke an engagement to a sweet girl. However even that caused deep sadness for her at the time and I was seen as the worst in the world by both families. Thankfully it was not of any interest beyond my immediate circle.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »
Brian, if you truly believe Charles and Camilla were meant for each other, but he was marrying a fashion-plate to please the monarchy, what gives you reason to believe that William is not simply repeating his own father's mistakes?  IMHO, Wills doesn't look convincingly happy in the pre-wedding photos, and with all of their ups-and-downs over the years, I'm more erring on the side that he's marrying Kate because he's under pressure, of a certain age, and it's expected of him as the next heir in line.  Sound familiar?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »
Brian, if you truly believe Charles and Camilla were meant for each other, but he was marrying a fashion-plate to please the monarchy, what gives you reason to believe that William is not simply repeating his own father's mistakes?

Well, for one thing, Kate Middleton is no Diana Spencer, and thank God for that. She's had more experience of the world and I suspect she has a much better idea what she's getting herself into than Diana did.

IMHO, Wills doesn't look convincingly happy in the pre-wedding photos.

Shrugs. Perhaps. He seemed fine to me in a joint interview I saw.

Sue, I hadn't even considered the possibility of that tramp sitting in the mother-of-the-groom chair.  Eek!  That would be horrifying.

Jeezus H.! You're a hard case!  :laugh:

He may be fond of her but I'm sure he's thankful that she's not his mother, lol!  Can you imagine what Charles and Camilla's kids would look like!  Yikes!

Heh. Wills isn't turning out to be a prize as it is. The older her gets, the more he looks like his father and the less he looks like his mother. He's losing his hair and he's got teeth like a horse.

I think people are very unfair to Camilla. Last I saw of her, in photos from when their car got attacked, I thought she looked pretty darn good for "a woman of a certain age," even as upset as she was. Lord knows, there are plenty of women her age who look a helluva lot worse!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »
In other news, the betting is hot and heavy over what color hat the Queen will wear to the wedding.  ::)  ;D

http://www.royalweddinglive.com/royal-wedding-live-wagers-queen%E2%80%99s-hat-is-the-hot-bet.html

My guess would be a nice spring green.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:14:13 am »

I wish they would though. It would be a wonderful dedication to Diana. :-\

I agree with you Kelda, William seems very fond of her. But Camilla isn't his Mother. Step-Mother, yes. So I suppose she has a right to sit in it. Doesn't she? But it really would be a nice dedication to Diana if they left it empty.

I'm surprised so many people will not be watching the wedding! I thought the results would be the other way around! lol

Boy, I'm going to watch it! I've been waiting for this for YEARS!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:10 am »
In other news, the betting is hot and heavy over what color hat the Queen will wear to the wedding.  ::)  ;D

http://www.royalweddinglive.com/royal-wedding-live-wagers-queen%E2%80%99s-hat-is-the-hot-bet.html

My guess would be a nice spring green.

I'm guessing she'll wear a pale blue hat. Or a lliliac colored one! A soft purple, maybe. Something spring colored. Spring green would be nice too and I can see her choosing that color.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.