Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 317143 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »

Except for Camilla being there it was perfect, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2011, 05:51:54 pm »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I wasn't aware that Lady GaGa had been invited.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »

I wasn't aware that Lady GaGa had been invited.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, the Fifth and Sixth in the line of succession to the thrones of 16 independent states.
(All we can say, is: BREED, Will and Harry, BREED--and hurry!)

And I guess somebody forgot to tell Beatrix and Eugenie it was a wedding, not auditions for the circus.

Jesus H.! The headgear--I don't think they qualify as hats--those two were wearing!

Actually, Jeff, actually  they aren't  hats, they are called fascinators --seriously! This I know because I went to FIT--not for fashion, obviously, but learned this little factlet through osmosis:

http://thefeatheredhead.com/what-is-a-fascinator

What Is A Fascinator?
A fascinator (as opposed to a hat ) is a head piece, or style of millinery, commonly made with feathers, flowers, jewels or beads that attaches to the hair by a comb, headband or clip. The word originally referred to a head covering similar to a shawl made from wool or lace. The term had become virtually obsolete by the 1970s.   In the early part of the 21st century, “fascinators” started to make a comeback but the meaning had slightly changed.  The new definition refers to a head decoration that often accompanies mainly formal or party attire but is frequently seen these days paired with casual-wear as well.  A fascinator may be worn instead of a hat to occasions where hats were once traditionally worn, such as weddings; brides increasingly choose to wear them as an alternative to a conventional bridal veil, particularly if their gowns or outfits are less fussy or non-traditional.  As  an evening accessory it is sometimes referred to as a “cocktail hat”, even when it doesn’t fit the standard definition of a “hat”. Stylish and fun, a fascinator can be worn on the front, side or, to showcase an updo or chignon, the back of the head.

Anybody else catch sight of the woman in the big, black hat the size of a wagon wheel?  ;D

Is this the hat in question? It is actually a hybrid hat/slash/fascinator; if you pulled of the squiggle on the right, it would be hat, and if instead you left the squiggle and pulled off the saucer, it would be a definite  fascinator. (Wearing the Slash Hat-inator is Zara Phillips, Princess Anne's daughter--a MUCH more comely girl than Fergie's two 'fascinators!'!)

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2011, 05:59:38 pm »
What Is A Fascinator?
A fascinator is a head piece, or style of millinery, commonly made with feathers, flowers, jewels or beads that attaches to the hair by a comb, headband or clip. The word originally referred to a head covering similar to a shawl made from wool or lace. The term had become virtually obsolete by the 1970s.   In the early part of the 21st century, “fascinators” started to make a comeback but the meaning had slightly changed.  The new definition refers to a head decoration that often accompanies mainly formal or party attire but is frequently seen these days paired with casual-wear as well.  A fascinator may be worn instead of a hat to occasions where hats were once traditionally worn, such as weddings; brides increasingly choose to wear them as an alternative to a conventional bridal veil, particularly if their gowns or outfits are less fussy or non-traditional.  As  an evening accessory it is sometimes referred to as a “cocktail hat”, even when it doesn’t fit the standard definition of a “hat”. Stylish and fun, a fascinator can be worn on the front, side or, to showcase an updo or chignon, the back of the head.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »

;D ;D ;D

"Everything Old is New Again..."    ;D

The late Isabella Blow wearing a Philip Treacy Lobster Hat
(after Elsa Schiaparelli, obviously)

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2011, 06:49:16 pm »
I loved the wedding.  I'm glad the weather held up so they could ride in the open-air Landau.

I liked William's amusement as he whispered to his father-in-law

"We wanted a small family affair" in the middle of Westminster cathedral.  :laugh:

Fergie's girls were rocking some high tech cutting edge fashion hats/fascinators.

Even the hated Camilla had a great hat on.  I hadn't seen the royal with the big black pinwheel hat, but I love it.  Love it.  Must have it.

Will and Harry looked dashing and handsome.  I love men in uniform.

Sadly I was not impressed with Kate or her sister's attire.  The wedding gown was staid and dowdy, like something from the 50's rather than the 21st century.  Granted the woman is not a spring chicken anymore, pushing 30, but she could have gone with something a bit more youthful.  A Royal family fan friend of mine theorized that Kate realized Diana had gone over the top with her dress and knew she couldn't overstate the overstated without looking costume-y, so she didn't try.  So she went with safe and it was boring.  Pippa looked very nice, but her dress was more like an evening gown, not something suitable for a morning wedding.

Beckham was gorgeous, properly attired in - what do they call them?  Morning suits?  - and yes, the medal is real.  He was awarded the Order of the British Empire.  He was apparently wearing it on the wrong lapel - the Brits obviously keep up with this sort of minutiae - but it's real.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:18 pm »

This is a perfect example of the repercussions of interbreeding....thank goodness there are some new genes generating throught the royal family now.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2011, 07:14:48 pm »
This is a perfect example of the repercussions of interbreeding....thank goodness there are some new genes generating throught the royal family now.

Hah!  That's what they said when Andrew married Fergie!  :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »

::) ::) ::)

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia