Author Topic: Modern maladies  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Modern maladies
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
I live with someone who has a form of claustrophobia, I've decided. I'll call it "cludeforemphobia" which means "close the door phobia". There is one door in particular that my roomie can't stand to have closed...unfortunately, it's the garage door. When he gets up in the morning, the first thing he does is open the garage door. And it's the last thing closed at night. I've even come home to an empty house and a gaping wide garage door. Within this garage there is an entrance to the house, as there is in most garages, and this door is always kept unlocked. So, you can see why this phobia causes me consternation.

What's more, there is a regulation against leaving your garage door open in my neighborhood, and we've received nasty letters and the threat of fines. Fortunately, nothing has been stolen from our garage, although about 20 years ago, a bicycle was stolen when I opened a different garage door manually so my roomie wouldn't have to do it in the rain. He certainly didn't learn from that episode!

I'd like to hear about other modern maladies that have been contracted by you or people close to you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Modern maladies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:39:24 pm »
Interesting topic, Lee!  I once had a friend who lived across the hall from my apartment.  Very often her door was open a crack, especially if she had company.  Must be some sort of need to have an escape hatch or something.

In this era of digital clocks I've developed a stupid riff on the unlucky 13 superstition.  I'm wary of getting out of bed in the morning if the numbers displaying the time on my cable box say :13 or add up to 13.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 03:00:29 pm »
That's dangerous Lee!

Number 1 way for thieves or home intruders to enter a house is by an open garage door.

It's also bad for home utilities since a garage is not insulated like a home is and you waste a lot of energy going out that door.

In the last few years I've developed a kind of agoraphobia.  I'm not afraid to go out to crowded places, I just get stressed if I have a social event.  Even with friends and family who are close to me, even if it's an event I planned myself, is going to be fun and I WANT to go to, I find myself growing anxious if I go with other people.

I have a New Orleans style wake to go to tomorrow.  Completely catered with tents, a band and casual dress.  I didn't know the deceased, I'm only there to comfort my friend and party like the deceased wanted.  I'm riding there with friends I've known for years and I will know quite a few people there.  Yet, I'm sick to my stomach about going.

No idea what is causing this.    

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »
Then the last thing done in the morning, after he opens the garage door for no reason, is for him to lock the door to the house.  I agree with Del; every time I read the crime stats in my town, some burglary suspect entered through an unlocked garage door.  Have you spoken to your roomie about your consternation to try to get to the bottom of why he finds this necessary???
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline green

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:43 pm »
I used to know a guy who could never sit in a room without facing the door. He had to always be sure he could get out if he wanted to.
I have a problem with closing drawers. When I am cooking, after awhile, half of the drawers in the kitchen are open.
I have a friend that you can drive crazy just by turning up the corner of your shirt.
That is annoying and weird about the garage door (why that door?); I have had my neighbor ring my doorbell if I accidentally leave it open. I keep a lot of stuff in my garage - I would be afraid about it being stolen. If you have an open garage door and there are no cars inside, that seems like an invitation to burglars.

In the last few years I've developed a kind of agoraphobia.  I'm not afraid to go out to crowded places, I just get stressed if I have a social event.  Even with friends and family who are close to me, even if it's an event I planned myself, is going to be fun and I WANT to go to, I find myself growing anxious if I go with other people.

I have a similar type of social phobia myself. I have had my teeth start chattering when I am talking on the phone to my mom. Yet I have had people tell me that I am the most confident person they know, so I guess I hide it well. You are not alone. Do you feel better once the event has started?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »

I have a similar type of social phobia myself. I have had my teeth start chattering when I am talking on the phone to my mom. Yet I have had people tell me that I am the most confident person they know, so I guess I hide it well. You are not alone. Do you feel better once the event has started?

Yes, that's what so crazy.  I instantly feel the fun, and excitement and relax and have a good time like I knew I would.  Today was no different.  Was stressed and anxious up until we drove up to meet my friends and then instantly relaxed, and chit-chatted the whole time we were at the wake, hugs and kisses all around.  Go figure.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:51:22 pm »
One of my many phobias is about the stickers that they put on fruit. I start to gnash my teeth whenever I have to remove these stickers, especially if the fruit has a soft skin. Then, I don't know where to put it. I imagine fish in the deep blue sea, swimming around with these stickers plastered to them. I used to have the same aversion to pop tops, but then they changed the design. Why can't they go back to squirting the fruit with some grape juice ink instead?
"chewing gum and duct tape"