Author Topic: FNIT Scene Not Realistic?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
FNIT Scene Not Realistic?
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:55 pm »
I found the below article on 365Gay.com and am puzzled. I thought the scene was pretty close to the book?

http://www.365gay.com/topics/ent_sports/entertainment-expert-%e2%80%98was-brokeback-mountain-at-all-realistic%e2%80%99/

Steve
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: FNIT Scene Not Realistic?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:55:11 am »
Several things bother me about that answer. First of all, the writer assumes Jack and Ennis were two virgins. Ennis undoubtedly was, but it is left up in the air whether Jack was a virgin. If he was not, then the FNIT could have gone as pictured. The second thing that bothers me is that the writer completely ignores the fact that Annie Proulx wrote the scene in the first place in her story and the movie scene is very close to it, as you say, Steve. I think this answer is just another typical statement of "Straight people can't possibly tell a gay story." And that brings me to another thing that bothers me. The writer brands everyone associated with the movie as straight. If it were the other way around, everyone would cry foul.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:48:21 am »
Oh for goodness sake.....its a story, its a movie.

How real do they want it to be?.... like most sex scenes in movies, it did what it was supposed to do....give us that tingly feeling that two people were "doing it".

Most straight sex scenes in movies, are not exactly, or not even close to real life straight sex, but people dont go around condeming the prouducers and directors for getting it wrong because they might be gay.

Nit pickin at its worst....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »
Well, I personally think it is realistic. These two guys, whether Jack had prior experience or not, had been building towards this with a little titalation here and there in the movie and the book. My first time at the rodeo was not quite the FNIT but almost. And to paraphrase Annie, no instruction manual was needed. I wonder if the persons that asked and answered the question were gay? The article on 365Gay.com but that does that reflect the original source?

Steve
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »
I agree with you, Steve. Another thing that 365gay did not take into account is that both Ennis and Jack were "from ranch folk" so they had seen it all on the farm, including gay sex among the animals. No instruction manual needed, indeed.
"chewing gum and duct tape"