Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah  (Read 21915 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 12:15:31 pm »
your sons are family, true, and families have may have a variety of terms of endearment.

Calling Ennis and Jack "the boys" or "family" fictionalizes them, I think, tends to reduce their individualism, separates them from reality, and categorizes them a eternal kids. The major part of the story/film/relationship was a grown, mature men, and in fact, the essence of the work is about maturing, growth, and manhood.

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 12:26:20 pm »
I have no idea what this discussion is about anymore.

Offline Seaweed727

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • We are all better when we are loved.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 01:07:42 pm »

I believe in this community, and on this forum, referring to Jack and Ennis as "the boys" is, as David says, a familiar and endearing term.  In speaking about the movie and these characters in another forum I might choose to use more general terms.

But, getting back on the topic of Oprah's Show with Heath, Jake, Michelle and Anne.  I agree with ednbarby in saying  "Anyone who can say it didn't occur to them that Lureen knew who Ennis was when he said "Me and Jack herded sheep up on Brokeback in the summer of '63" missed one helluva good movie.  Oprah was content to demonstrate with her silly questioning that she did not understand Brokeback Mountain.  What I got out of the show was the tremendous opportunity to see these fine actors as they dealt with the stupid questions and yet demonstrated a level of maturity and professionalism beyond their years.  The appearance made me fall even more in love with the actors who gave so much life to the characters in Brokeback Mountain.
"I got a boy, eight months old.... Smiles a lot."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 01:56:27 pm »
What I got out of the show was the tremendous opportunity to see these fine actors as they dealt with the stupid questions and yet demonstrated a level of maturity and professionalism beyond their years.  The appearance made me fall even more in love with the actors who gave so much life to the characters in Brokeback Mountain.

Amen to that! Very well put.

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 02:55:36 pm »
Oprah was content to demonstrate with her silly questioning that she did not understand Brokeback Mountain.  What I got out of the show was the tremendous opportunity to see these fine actors as they dealt with the stupid questions and yet demonstrated a level of maturity and professionalism beyond their years.

Exactly! The boys rule!  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 03:01:44 pm »
Oh and the girls too of course!!!

;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 04:40:03 pm »
And I agree with you, Seaweed.  Wholeheartedly.  I actually fell in love with Jake when I saw him on Leno prior to that appearance for the very same reason you put so well.  He just sealed the deal on Oprah, at the precise point in which he said "What're you gettin' at?"  He was also particularly gracious in saying how he defers all compliments to Heath.  There's none of that competitive bullshit with him.  I doubt you'd hear Matt Damon say that about Leonardo DiCaprio in The Departed or any other actor with basically equal billing about his colleague in any other movie.  Sure, they'll praise other actors for their performances, but not like that.

It also sealed the deal on my impression of Oprah.  To say that she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed doesn't even begin to cover it.  It makes me almost ill to think of the influence she has over so many people in this country.  But then, we are Idiot America.  And she's our queen.
No more beans!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 05:03:02 pm »
I remember seeing that Oprah show, and while it was great to see the cast, I did too feel that Oprah's questions were downrigh silly....I got the impression she was trying to embarrass the boys with some of her questions...but, in true professional style, they stood up to the task, and didnt let her bother them....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 05:13:43 pm »
I got to see my favorite cousin from New York last weekend she is very much into movies.  She didn't especially like it, thought it was depressing, but that it was important. I guess my point is that after having seen Oprah I thoungt here questions were resonable given the context of the the show and that she is not a Brokie like us. Interesting the Jake said that neither might have dione the movie if they had known it would be so big, too intimidating.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 06:20:44 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 05:15:55 pm »
Interesting the Kake said that neither might have dione the movie if they had known it would be so big, too intimidating.

Who said that?????
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection