Author Topic: "Brokeback Mountain" and "Wuthering Heights" - both "one of a kind"?  (Read 36782 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Brokeback Mountain" and "Wuthering Heights" - both "one of a kind"?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
What a literary weekend! Watched "To Walk Invisible" about the Brontēs, went to a Sherlock Holmes meeting to discuss "The Naval Treaty" and then read a lost F. Scott Fitzgerald story "The I.O.U.". What can I do to finish off the weekend? I found it very enervating.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »
You just like the direction it's going?

Ding ding ding!

BTW, in case you haven't been keeping up with the "Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called real life" thread, I got a Brokieism into promotional copy. I was assigned to come up with a slogan for posters to be used for fundraising walks and races of various kinds. So I submitted "Fast or slow, you'll be going in the right direction." They liked it, and now it's on promotional materials!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »
Well done! Now, maybe you can find a home for "She got lucky", "Brokeback got us good" and "I'm sending up a prayer to heaven for you forgettin' your harmonica"! I think "I wish I knew how to quit you" has already been used.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 10:31:11 pm »
Ding ding ding!

BTW, in case you haven't been keeping up with the "Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called real life" thread, I got a Brokieism into promotional copy. I was assigned to come up with a slogan for posters to be used for fundraising walks and races of various kinds. So I submitted "Fast or slow, you'll be going in the right direction." They liked it, and now it's on promotional materials!

Yee haw! Congratulations!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:15 am »
Well done! Now, maybe you can find a home for "She got lucky", "Brokeback got us Sh good" and "I'm sending up a prayer to heaven for you forgettin' your harmonica"! I think "I wish I knew how to quit you" has already been used.

:laugh: :laugh: "She got lucky" could conceivably work, but I think the other two are going to be a bit harder to slip into copy promoting medical devices.  :laugh:

Though I'll look for an opportunity to use "Brokeback got him good" when describing a patient in need of a spinal-cord stimulation implant.

And maybe, "It's because of you, Jack, post-operative nerve damage that I'm like this."

And even if "I wish I knew how to quit you" wasn't already too cliched, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make it past legal and regulatory when I'm writing about, say, a heart pump.