Author Topic: New inventions in our lifetime........  (Read 37824 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: New inventions in our lifetime........
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2006, 11:02:09 am »
Microwave ovens.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, I thought I read through the entire thread pretty thoroughly, (At Sue's recommendation)  thank you Sue this is a delightful thread.   I could have missed this one..... 

The first microwave oven I remember was in a convience store.  That was back around 1979 or 1980. We could heat up the frozen burritos and other assorited little frozen foods at the store in them.  I was amazed how fast and how hot they made those little frozen foods.  There was a sign on the door warning that a microwave oven was in use I think for heart patients with pace makers. 

Before having one in the home, we used to have to reheat left over food in a pot on the stove leaving a big mess to clean up. The microwave has made life so simple in more ways than that, but what would I do without one in my home these days....I have a friend whose microwave broke (program obsolete) and never boaght a new one.  When she told me that I thought she was crazy, but she says she doesnt miss it?   

Program obsolete..  For quite a while now they make things like microwaves, coffee pots, portable phones, cd players etc.... all our electronic devices to evenutually fall apart.. Its more economical to buy a new one then to pay to get the old one fixed...  Ala program obsolete..

The computer brain in the cars made now...i bought a used car one time which I soon found out needed a new brain.  What a disaster.

My daughter was in an aweful situation on the road where another car flipped over and landed in her lane...not to get gory so i wont, but the cop used a machine he hooked up to her car and it told him how fast she was driving, whether or not seat belts were worn, when she applied the brakes all kinds of little info...its amazing.
As for the gore if anyone really wants to know she ran over one of the bodies that was ejected from the suv that flipped.   It was NOT her fault..there is a God
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:37:21 am by brokeback_dev »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2006, 01:45:37 am »
I opened the cassette player to get the cassette out and the sound that it made, KAPLOING (or something, can't really describe it) actually startled some people out of their sleep-induced comas...

Whatta great thread!

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned ATMs.

The first advertisements I heard for those were for Union Planter's "Annie — the anytime teller".  (Friendly, feminine-sounding approachability for all those who might wonder where the heck their paycheck was going when they stuck it through the slot into the ether...)

Before those, I remember riding to the drive-up bank teller window with my dad. (I liked it because when the teller saw a kid in the car, they would put a little lollipop in the clear plastic canister thing. What I couldn't figure out was, how did the canister get from the box by your car over to the teller? That still kinda bamboozles me.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:03:45 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2006, 04:43:20 am »
I remember riding to the drive-up bank teller window with my dad. (I liked it because when the teller saw a kid in the car, they would put a little lollipop in the clear plastic canister thing.) What I couldn't figure out was, how did the canister get from the box by your car over to the teller? (That still kinda bamboozles me.)

I don't know about your drive-in banks, but there were two systems in shops. One was pneumatic. The canister (which had round felt seals at the ends) was put in a tube, the door closed and air pressure pushed (or pulled) it to the other end. They were used in newsrooms longer, to send copy from the subeditors to the typesetting room, which was noisy. The other was used where a shop was all on one level. The canister was hung from a little trolley that ran on a wire stretched between each cashdesk and the cashier's office. To send it, the cashier pulled a cord which tightened a spring. When it was tight enough it tripped a catch that let the spring go to shoot it across the shop over everyone's heads.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2006, 06:33:20 am »
Whatta great thread!

Oh yes ATM's..........I worked for a finance company 25years ago, and one day the boss told me, that the banks were soon going to have a machine in their front wall, where you could deposit and withdraw money.......

"No way" I thought......yes, I could picture depositing money, but I wondered how they could check our signature to make a withdrawal from a machine....Of course there was no such thing as a PIN number then.

The rest is history....how could we live without them.....

Australia didnt get into the drive in banks.....before ATM's, it used to be a line up at the bank every friday, to get any money we might need over the weekend.....if we run out before bank opening on the monday, well, that was just too bad.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2006, 08:19:11 pm »
Whatta great thread!

The first advertisements I heard for those were for Union Planter's "Annie — the anytime teller".  (Friendly, feminine-sounding approachability for all those who might wonder where the heck their paycheck was going when they stuck it through the slot into the ether...)

In these parts, the first ATMs were called MAC machines. "MAC" must have stood for something, but I never learned what.

Some folks, myself included, still refer to using an ATM as "hitting the MAC machine" or "tapping MAC."

Of course, the coming of the ATM gave us a new name for the twenty-dollar bill: Yuppie food coupon.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2006, 04:22:33 am »
ATM: Altar To Mammon.
Hence "Hang on, I'm out of cash, I'lll just go and worship at the Altar To Mammon."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2006, 07:15:54 am »
I looked on my coffee table in the loungeroom today, and what did I see????

Remote Controls

One for the tv, the dvd player, the pay (cable) tv, the stereo, the air conditioner, the overhead fans.......

On my set of keys, I have one for the garage roller door, and one for the central locking on the car........

We certainly have become "couch potatoes"....or are we just bone lazy now....

Am interested to know, what other remote controls people have out there....

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2006, 09:23:33 am »
Remote Controls

:laugh: One time when I was small i thought it would be good fun to keep turning over the channels on our B&W (yep - no colour then!!) push-button TV while my Dad was trying to watch a programme. Up and down, back and forth we went, struggling for supremacy over the goggle-box. Needless to say, I lost, and got a good hiding and sent to my room for my trouble  >:(. Woulda never happened if there'd been remote controls around...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2006, 09:56:15 am »
Sometime probably in the late 1960s my grandparents had an early-model remote control for their television. It was actually connected to the television by a cable.

And I remember not only black-and-white television sets, I also remember black-and-white television shows (and not just reruns of I Love Lucy either--I mean prime time!).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2006, 04:19:41 pm »
Oh yes, I forgot the first tv remote control...attached with a cable to the tv....

Our boys were little at the time, so we were continually saying..."Dont trip over that cable".....

Which brings me to the first tv/video game we had.....that too, was attached to the tv with a cable from the hand controls, and the game was a simple game of tennis...we could actually move each player (denoted by a straight line), up and down to connect with the other straight line that denoted the ball.....we played for hours and hours a day......