Author Topic: The Wretched Lift Their Voices: Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman in 'Les Misérables'  (Read 63888 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
I bought a used DVD of that movie cheap at the drug store quite some time ago--because I remembered thinking Hugh looked awfully good in that uniform in the promos that I'd seen for the film--but somehow I've never gotten around to watching it.  :(

Take a break from scary book reading and watch this.  It's just typical rom-com, but with a little twist.  But note something that took me 10 years to notice.  Watch the progression of elevators.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
It's just typical rom-com.

Is that the same thing as a chick flick?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Is that the same thing as a chick flick?  ;D

Yup.  ;D

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I usually tune out during TV adverts but perhaps because of our recent conversation. I thought I know that face (it was only a brief part of the following Liptons tea ad). Have never drunk Liptons tea and as I do not like tea it will not likely change that fact.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/theater/how-hugh-jackmans-two-sides-make-women-swoon.html?_r=1&ref=arts&src=me&pagewanted=all

Arts & Leisure
Hugh Jackman Keeps His Pants On
By BEN BRANTLEY
Published: December 8, 2011

Hugh Jackman with fans after the opening night of his Broadway show.

Hugh Jackman signing shirts for Broadway's AIDS charity.

Hugh Jackman, rugged show-tune lover.

IT takes two to be Hugh. The most adored performer on Broadway at the moment is, without question, Hugh Jackman, both of him. “Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway,” at the Broadhurst Theater, has created this season’s most virulent case of box office fever by presenting the snazziest single double act New York has known since Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner played Siamese twins in “Side Show” 14 years ago.

Technically, you may object, there’s only one Hugh Jackman. He’s that strapping, muscle-flexing actor who plays the manly mutant Wolverine in the lucrative “X-Men” movie franchise. But wait a minute. Isn’t he the swivel-hipped song-and-dance man who won a Tony Award in 2004 playing the epicene entertainer Peter Allen in “The Boy From Oz”?

The point of Mr. Jackman’s show — which ends its limited, sold-out run on Jan. 1 and is the hardest ticket in New York to come by — is that he contains, if not multitudes, then a teeming crowd of two. Eight times a week he clefts himself in twain for the delectation of largely female audiences who love him just for his selves. Let’s face it. Mr. Jackman is, unapologetically and triumphantly, the bi-est guy in town: bicultural, bimorphic, binational, biprofessional and, for entertainment purposes, bisexual.

I’m really not talking about sexual identity here. Well, I am, but only in a Platonic sense. Mr. Jackman makes a point of reminding us throughout his fleet-footed show, which combines musical numbers with an “All About Hugh” narrative, that he’s a long- and happily married man, and I have no evidence to the contrary. But despite — or perhaps because of — his firmly affirmed marital status Mr. Jackman often gleefully comports himself onstage in the manner of what, in less enlightened times, might have been called a flaming queen.

First of all, the guy makes no bones about saying that he loves musicals. And male musical-comedy love is one of those red flags that naïve young women are told to watch out for when they’re searching for a mate.

Mr. Jackman, though, would like to make it clear that a fellow can wallow in a splashy, dance-crammed Vincente Minnelli film like “The Band Wagon” and still be a sweaty ace on the playing field. (That’s one of the lessons of the television series “Glee” too, but Mr. Jackman claimed the territory first.) Growing up in Sydney, Australia, he tells his audience, he couldn’t wait for Sunday afternoons, when the local television station would show old movie musicals. But please note that the young Hugh would sit down to bliss out on Busby Berkeley only after rugby practice on Sunday mornings.

This dichotomy shapes both the form and content of “Back on Broadway,” which is directed and choreographed by Warren Carlyle, lending it a wholesome, all-embracing eroticism that would seem to be more appealing to women than to men. (That’s certainly been confirmed by the demographics of audiences I’ve seen there.) The show unfolds as a point-counterpoint presentation of, if you will, the yin and yang of Hugh.

His opening number, Rodgers and Hammerstein ’s “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’,” is from “Oklahoma!,” the most classic of classic musicals, in which Mr. Jackman starred for the National Theater in London in 1998. He played Curly the cowman, a reminder of when musical-comedy heroes were virile guys’ guys and shy showoffs with women. The first of act of “Back on Broadway” ends with Mr. Jackman embodying another, similar Rodgers and Hammerstein figure, singing the “Soliloquy” of Billy Bigelow, the burly carnival barker from “Carousel.”

In between, though, Mr. Jackman slips out of the clenched-fist, working-clothes persona of the Rodgers and Hammerstein man and into something more shimmery. He confesses — and succumbs — to urges to swing his hips and tap his toes. A medley centered on the song “I Won’t Dance” becomes an anatomical, Jekyll-and-Hyde study of a man being seduced by Broadway rhythms, erupting into show-boy choreography despite himself.

Mr. Jackman explains that this sort of dancing gives him a lithe, lean body that is markedly different from that of the bulked-up Wolverine he plays in the “X-Men” films, and he shows us movie footage to illustrate the difference. The producers of “X-Men,” Mr. Jackman says, worry about this transformation from mesomorph to ectomorph. But watching “Back on Broadway,” you feel that if he chose, he could regrow those missing muscles on the spot. He doesn’t of course. Instead, his body becomes even more serpentine for the top of the second act, and the show’s high point.

This is the sequence in which Mr. Jackman, in second-skin gold lamé, reincarnates the pansexual Australian songwriter and performer Peter Allen (who died of AIDS in 1992). Though Mr. Jackman has been flirting with the audience since the show began, as Allen he progresses into serious polymorphous foreplay. Conducting an erotic dialogue with a drum beat (and the drummer who provides it), he’s about as far from Curly as Oklahoma is from Australia.

Australia itself is the focal point for other illustrations of Mr. Jackman’s double-sided nature. While he serenades Manhattan with a smitten rendition of Cole Porter’s “I Happen to Like New York,” he lets us know that even as a Gothamite, he remains an easygoing, outdoors-loving Aussie. And when he sings “Over the Rainbow,” he performs it with four indigenous Australian musicians and a new mystical-sounding arrangement.

Singing “Over the Rainbow” on a Broadway stage is throwing down a gauntlet. That’s the song most associated with Judy Garland, whose concerts at Carnegie Hall half a century ago are remembered as the ultimate transcendent love affairs between a singer and an audience. Because of his intimate rapport with theatergoers, Mr. Jackman has been compared to Garland. And there’s a classically Garlandesque moment in “Back on Broadway” when he reaches from the stage to clasp the hands of audience members reaching up to him.

But, oh, what a gap separates Le Jackman and La Garland. She too embodied the performer as a divided self, but in a far more frightening (and, yes, exciting) way. She was perhaps the ultimate example of the star who loved and hated the anonymous souls who loved her, who needed them and resented them in equal measures. Accounts of Garland in concert often speak of the suspense of them, of never knowing if she might suddenly turn on her audience or herself.

That same nervous anticipation emanates from the one-woman shows of Garland’s daughter Liza Minnelli, who, for the record, was briefly married to Peter Allen. Will she make it all the way to the final curtain? The answer to that question seems to hinge on the amount of the adoration her audience is willing to give her. Even an utterly in-control, spectacle-camouflaged pop artist like Lady Gaga exudes a raw hunger — for the embrace of the little monsters in the dark — that provides a titillating edge of discomfort. And a swaggering macho hip-hop artist like Kanye West has been known to melt down onstage into orgies of self-abusing revelation.

From the era of Billie Holiday to that of Amy Winehouse, singers with cult followings have often seemed poised over a black of hole of pain that might swallow them at any moment. When Garland did “Get Happy,” it was perceived as a triumph of style over sorrow. The relationship between this kind of performer and the audience is always tinged with sadomasochism. Mr. Jackman generates no such frissons. His erotic energy is purely and pleasurably consensual. For some women his double-jointedness makes him the perfect platonic lover: part leading-man seducer (who gives you the best sex you never had), part gay best friend (who picks up your spirits by singing show tunes with you).

And for all his charm and charisma, as a singer of standards, he isn’t nearly on Garland’s level as an interpretive artist. I think that’s partly because — matters of vocal talent aside — there’s no discernible friction between the different Hughs, no danger of internal combustion. His emotional arithmetic is clear-cut, elementary-school-level division.

I recently went back to a Wednesday matinee, after which he auctioned off items of apparel he had worn that day for the charity Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. He raised at least $28,000 that afternoon, and it’s worth itemizing the tab: two sweat-soaked undershirts (at $10,000 apiece) and a gold belt he wore as Peter Allen ($8,000).

So there were mementoes from both Hughs. But I never felt he was selling off pieces of his heart, which I assume is equally divided. (Whose isn’t?) That organ he keeps to himself, and I suspect that he’ll live the longer for doing so.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/01/hugh-jackman-on-the-film-fest-he-wants-you-to-know-about-breaking-broadway-records-and-live-singing-for-les-miz.html

Hugh Jackman on the Film Fest
He Wants You to Know About,
Breaking Broadway Records,
and Live-Singing for Les Miz

By Rachel Bertsche
1/4/12 at 10:00 AM

Hugh Jackman.

Hugh Jackman can draw a crowd. He’s proven it time and again, most recently on Broadway, where he raked in an unprecedented $14 million for his one-man show, Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway.  Now the Australian triple-threat is lending that star power to Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which announces its inaugural New York event today. The twenty-year-old Aussie fest, which drew a live audience of more than 150,000 people to Sydney last year, is calling for entries of films no longer than seven minutes, some of which will screen on June 23 in Bryant Park. We caught up with Jackman about what to expect from the fest, as well as his record-breaking Broadway run and his upcoming stint as Les Miz ’s Jean Valjean.

You haven’t had much idle time lately. Your one-man show just wrapped up its ten-week run, right?
I literally finished last night. Now I’m going to have some time with the family. Or as my wife said to me this morning, “Get out of bed. You’re on!”

Back on Broadway  broke a number of Broadway records, like the highest weekly gross for the Shubert Organization.
The show has gone way better than we could have imagined. I decided to do it because Wolverine  kept getting delayed, so I didn’t want to just sit around waiting.  I had quite modest ambitions. I said to my agent, “Find me a 30-minute charity gig or something, just get me going,” and he rang me the next day and said, “We’ve got a theater.”

You’re starting rehearsals for the movie adaptation of Les Miz  later this month. I read that there are going to be no prerecorded songs — that you’ll be singing live on the set. Is that true?
 Yes, I believe we are going to be singing live. We will obviously have to do a safety prerecord, because when you’re singing you’ve got to have all the music in your ear, and I’m guessing also for quality of sound for the soundtrack. And sometimes when you film there are noises — smoke machines, things like that — where the actual sound on set may not be usable. But most of it we’re going to be singing live, which for something like Les Miserables  is essential. You don’t want it to feel like it’s all done in a recording studio, nor do you want it to look like the actors are miming the whole thing. I wouldn’t know how to do that. I think it would take more work to mime it than to sing it.

Les Miz  is such a beloved show. Does that add pressure? Or make you more motivated?
More motivated. I auditioned. I went hard for the part. I wasn’t sitting back waiting for this one. This is one I really wanted. I feel, weirdly, that all the things in my life — particularly my professional life, which has been close to twenty years — have been converging to this point. I feel very lucky and blessed to have been in movies, and I feel lucky and blessed to have been in musicals. I’ve been waiting a long time to combine the two, and to be able to do it with something like Les Miserables,  it just feels like a pinnacle.

Do you remember the first time you saw Les Miz ?
Yes, I saw it in Australia for the first time, actually. A mate of mine was in it and I was completely blown away. I’ve seen it three times now, not including the PBS specials. Actually, the very first song I used as an audition piece was “Stars” from Javert. It wasn’t right for the musical — I was auditioning for Beauty and the Beast  so they were like, “Why are you singing ‘Stars’?” But I was coming out of acting school and my acting teacher had made me sing that one song, so it was the only thing I had music to.

What about the physical transformation? Jean Valjean changes so much during the show.
Well, it’s an eighteen-year span, so he’ll go through a transformation during the film, but when we start he is in a labor camp. He’s described as a “great ox of a man,” so as [director] Tom [Hooper] says, “I don’t want pecks, I don’t want you to look like you’ve been to the gym, I want you to look like you’ve been hauling ropes to get ships into the shipyard.” I’m literally starting training in a half-hour. I’m about to go into a whole lot of squats and pulling ropes and pulling myself up ropes. At the same time, I don’t get to eat any fun stuff because he wants me to be lean in the face like I’ve been in a labor camp. But then he gets rich and goes to pot, so that part will be fun.

Tropfest has been in Australia for twenty years. Why expand to New York now?
Tropfest is like a rock concert in Sydney. You get 100,000 people watching short films, and suddenly all of Sydney thinks they are filmmakers. It has demystified that whole idea of ,“Oh my God, it’s impossible to make films and you can’t do it without a lot of money.” So it seems to me that if it can work in Sydney, Australia, then in New York it should become an even bigger phenomenon. This is New York!

Tropfest alumni include Sam Worthington, Joel Edgarton. The FX series Wilfred  is even based on a Tropfest short. Were you ever on the contestant side of things?
Yeah, I was in one. It won second place a couple of years ago. I did a little cameo for a mate of mine who was in drama school. I was swimming in my pool one day and he knocks on the door with his little flip cam and he goes, “Oh, mate, I just need a little cameo.” So he took video of me swimming, and next thing he e-mails me and goes, “Oh mate, we won second place.”

Any clichés to avoid? Or advice for people who want to enter?
A lot of people try and copy an idea from the past. It’s like they’ve made a film before and, if now, say, the theme is lighthouse, they go, “If I can just add a shot of a lighthouse … ”

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

https://twitter.com/#!/RealHughJackman/status/184391392028667904/photo/1

Hugh Jackman
@RealHughJackman

Very excited about how the first days of filming are going!! Check out my convict look...but its changing soon.
pic.twitter.com/SLFHBhfN

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/hugh-jackman-serves-up-a-much-better-look-at-jean-valjean-in-les-miserables?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvhTXVZROs&feature[/youtube]
Uploaded by FlynetPictures on Mar 22, 2012

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXcnr-MwCg&feature[/youtube]
Published on Apr 19, 2012 by FlynetPictures

Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman singing "Do You Hear The People Sing" during the filming of scenes for movie Les Misérables  at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London.

Also posted in the Chez Tremblay thread Anne Anne Anne!
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22197.msg630520/topicseen.html#msg630520

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350][youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5slbuWpZwjg&feature[/youtube][/youtube]

"Camping Out"