Author Topic: The Wretched Lift Their Voices: Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman in 'Les Misérables'  (Read 63808 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I saw it last night and pretty much agree with your review -- that is, the parts that I actually saw.  I was fighting sleep, as my day had been pretty full up till then, and all the rain was making me drowsy.  I hated Russell Crowe's performance from the start, but I did enjoy Hugh Jackman.  The only other thing that really stood out for me was the inkeepers: they were so annoying and put me in the mind of Sweeny Todd, another disappointment.

I really loved the ending, and didn't want it to end, if that makes any sense.  All-in-all, I enjoyed the film but I don't know if I'll see it again.  I'm a repeat movie goer, but this one didn't thrill me enough to buy another ticket.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Warning:  I tend to be critical!  I'll start by saying I never liked Hugh Jackman's voice.  Having seen him way back in 1998 in "Oklahoma!" as Curley, I thought he sure was pretty and a good dancer.  But that voice--a nasal warble--doesn't work for me.  (I tried listening to his "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" without the visuals once.)

That said, his Jean Valjean kinda grows on you.  He is an all-around nice guy, after all.  Jackman had a certain wide-eyed expression that didn't vary much, however.

:o  Oi! You're a braver man than I am, SouthendMD. Around here you risk getting yourself ripped a new one if you say you dislike anything about Hugh Jackman.  ::)

But, yes, having seen him in a PBS broadcast of that "Oklahoma!," I agree with your assessment of his voice. As Curly, I found him handsome and felt he made a good cowboy, but I grew up on recordings of Gordon MacRae in the role in the movie version, and I felt that the kid who was Curly in my high school's production of the show back in 1976 had a better voice for Rodgers and Hammerstein than Jackman.

Sorry for being OT, folks. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I love Hugo´s novel and am also fond of the movie adaption starring Rush and Neeson (much better than the French tv-series from a few years back starring Gerard Depardieu).  But I have never understood the point of having them sing the story. Musicals tend to over-dramatize everything while I am all for preserving the small and intimite. I don´t think I´d see this movie even if someone paid me to ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
OT, but I just learned that Hugh Jackman will be the "special guest artist" at the 156th Academy of Music Concert and Ball here in Philadelphia on the 26th of this month.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I found this review online that I think you'll find funny.  I believe it's the "straight man's" review of Les Mis.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I found this review online that I think you'll find funny.  I believe it's the "straight man's" review of Les Mis.

Sacre Bleu  ;D

It opened in Sydney on Boxing Day and I wanted to see it but my sister's best friend has begun a yearly tradition of inviting us (my brother-in-law always goes sailing) to lunch and would be hurt if we declined.  Les Mis is so long, we could not work around it.  I flew home the next day and it does not open in NZ until January 10. My sister and her husband saw it as I flew home >:(.  She loved it but agrees Hugh had trouble with some of the songs, possibley a result of the songs being sung live as filmed.  My brother-in-law thought it a bit long.  I have seen it on stage 4 times, 3 by professionals and once by very good amateurs and have the 10th Anniversary DVD. 
I do not expect Russell Crowe to equal Philip Quast ( Another great Aussie, I am fairly sure he was Javert in at lesst 2 of the 3 professional performances I saw. } Rob Guest who sadly died in 2008 was  Jean Valjean in at  least one of the performances. He was an excellent singer. Probably Normie Rowe was Valjean the first time.  I first fell in love with Hugh Jackman as Curly, have never seen him as wolverine, not my sort of movie. My sister agrees the Thenardiers were ridiculous in the movie.  Am looking forward to the 10th, hope I will not be as disappointed as I was with the Hobbits.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Here is Anthony Lane's review from The New Yorker:

The long and thunderous film of “Les Misérables” arises from the stage musical, which itself was adapted from Victor Hugo’s enormous novel. Yet the story, at heart, is an intimate one. Valjean (Hugh Jackman) serves nineteen years for stealing a loaf of bread: a punishment that he regards as unjust, though in fact it reflects well on the status of French baking. Had he taken a croissant, it would have meant the guillotine. In 1815, he breaks parole, vanishes, and emerges eight years later as a respectable factory owner and the mayor of Montreuil. There he is dimly recognized as a former convict by Javert (Russell Crowe), the local police inspector. These two cross paths for the rest of the film, with Javert in panting pursuit. Would it be too fanciful to suggest that they have a thing for each other, to which they never confess? That would explain why Crowe and Jackman, both tough Australians, are made to sing at so agonized a pitch. Crowe launches into his lusty anthems as if a platoon of infantry, stationed in his immediate rear, had just fixed bayonets without giving sufficient warning.

Then, there is a layer of lesser plots. A poor wench named Fantine (Anne Hathaway), one of Valjean’s workers, loses her job, becomes a prostitute, and dies, though not before summoning enough puff to sing “I Dreamed a Dream.” She leaves a daughter, whom Valjean raises as his own. We jump to 1832, with Paris in a rebellious mood and the child, Cosette (Amanda Seyfried), all grown up. She draws the gaze of Marius (Eddie Redmayne), a young hothead, who, in turn, is the idol of his neighbor Éponine (Samantha Barks). And so the action gathers steam and comes to the barricades—or, to be exact, to a single barricade, with an anti-monarchist uprising represented by a small group of students sitting on a pile of furniture. The director is Tom Hooper, fresh from “The King’s Speech,” and you can’t help wondering if this shift into grandeur has confused his sense of scale. The camera soars on high, the orchestra bellows, and then, whenever somebody feels a song coming on, we are hustled in close, forsaking our bird’s-eye view for that of a consultant rhinologist.

The actors were recorded live as they belted out the big numbers, and Hathaway, in particular, takes full advantage, turning in precisely the sort of performance, down to the last sniff, that she would be the first to lampoon on “Saturday Night Live.” Not that you can blame her. She probably took one look at the material and realized that the only way to survive it was by the naked power of oomph. I was unprepared, having missed “Les Misérables” onstage, for the remarkable battle that flames between music and lyrics, each vying to be more uninspired than the other. The lyrics put up a good fight, but you have to hand it to the score: a cauldron of harmonic mush, with barely a hint of spice or a note of surprise. Some of Hooper’s cast acquit themselves with grace, notably Redmayne, and it’s a relief to see Sacha Baron Cohen, in the role of a seamy innkeeper, bid goodbye to Cosette with the wistful words “Farewell, Courgette.” One burst of farce, however, is not enough to redress the basic, inflationary bombast that defines “Les Misérables.” Fans of the original production, no doubt, will eat the movie up, and good luck to them. I screamed a scream as time went by.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
And then David Denby offers this:

January 3, 2013
THERE’S STILL HOPE FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE “LES MIS”

POSTED BY DAVID DENBY

I want to render a public service. I want to suggest that even if you were deeply moved by “Les Mis,” you can still save your soul. I don’t think you are damned forever. Salvation awaits. I realize that we are not supposed to argue about taste. De gustibus non est disputandum, as some Latin fellow said. But, in fact, critics do nothing but argue about taste. And I realize that emotion is even harder and riskier to argue about. But, as we have new experiences, emotions change. Therefore, in the interest of public health, I will try to bring cures to the troubled. But first, a few words about the movie version of “Les Misérables.”

I had never seen the show or heard the score; I came to the material fresh, without preconception, and throughout the entire hundred and fifty-seven minutes I sat cowering in my seat, lost in shame and chagrin. This movie is not just bad (“bombast,” as Anthony Lane characterized it in a wonderful review in the current issue of the magazine). It’s terrible; it’s dreadful. Overbearing, pretentious, madly repetitive. I was doubly embarrassed because all around me, in a very large theatre, people were sitting rapt, awed, absolutely silent, only to burst into applause after some of the numbers, and I couldn’t help wondering what in the world had happened to the taste of my countrymen—the Americans (Americans!) who created and loved almost all the greatest musicals ever made.

Didn’t any of my neighbors notice how absurdly gloomy and dolorous the story was? How the dominant blue-gray coloring was like a pall hanging over the material? How the absence of dancing concentrated all the audience’s pleasure on the threadbare songs? How tiresome a reverse fashion show the movie provided in rags, carbuncles, gimpy legs, and bad teeth? How awkward the staging was? How strange to have actors singing right into the camera, a normally benign recording instrument, which seems, in scene after scene, bent on performing a tonsillectomy?

Hugh Jackman, as the aggrieved Jean Valjean, delivers his numbers in a quavering, quivering, stricken voice—Jackman doesn’t sing, he brays. Russell Crowe as Javert, his implacable pursuer, stands on parapets overlooking all of Paris and dolefully sings of his duty to the law. Then he does it again. Everything is repeated, emphasized, doubled, as if to congratulate us on emotions we’ve already had. The young women, trembling like leaves in a storm, battered this way and that by men, never exercise much will or intelligence. Anne Hathaway, as Fantine, gets her teeth pulled, her hair chopped, and her body violated in a coffin box—a Joan of Arc who only suffers, a pure victim who never asserts herself. Hathaway, a total pro, gives everything to the role, exploiting those enormous eyes and wide mouth for its tragic-clown effect. Like almost everyone else, she sings through tears. Most of the performances are damp.

The music is juvenile stuff—tonic-dominant, without harmonic richness or surprise. Listen to any score by Richard Rodgers or Leonard Bernstein or Fritz Loewe if you want to hear genuine melodic invention. I was so upset by the banality of the music that I felt like hiring a hall and staging a nationalist rally. “My fellow-countrymen, we are the people of Jerome Kern and Irving Berlin! Cole Porter and George Gershwin, Frank Loesser and Burton Lane! We taught the world what popular melody was! What rhythmic inventiveness was! Let us unite to overthrow the banality of these French hacks!” (And the British hacks, too, for that matter.) Alas, the hall is filled with people weeping over “Les Mis.”

Is it sacrilege to point out that the Victor Hugo novel, stripped of its social detail and reduced to its melodramatic elements, no longer makes much sense? That the story doesn’t connect to our world (which may well be the reason for the show’s popularity)? Jean Valjean becomes a convict slave for nineteen years after stealing some bread for his sister’s child. He has done nothing wrong, yet he spends the rest of his life redeeming himself by committing one noble act after another, while Javert pursues him all over France. Wherever Valjean goes, Javert shows up; he’s everywhere at once, like the Joker in “The Dark Knight,” who was at least intended to be a fanciful creation.

Doesn’t Javert have anything else to do with his life? He seems less a relentless avatar of the law than merely daft—and a melodramatic contrivance. He doesn’t even have a streak of perversity—in his own stupid way, he’s meant to be noble, a man of conscience. Dare I suggest that the mutual obsession of Valjean and Javert is actually boring and morally insignificant? The relationship never develops; the two men never push beyond the surface of each other’s characters. And the implications of Jean Valjean’s complete innocence are dismaying. Suppose he had actually committed some sort of crime as a young man. Are we to infer that he wouldn’t be worth our tears if—like the rest of us—he were even slightly culpable? Saints do not make interesting heroes.

Every emotion in the movie is elemental. There’s no normal range, no offhand or incidental moments—it’s all injustice, love, heartbreak, cruelty, self-sacrifice, nobility, baseness. Which brings us to heart of the material’s appeal. As everyone knows, the stage show was a killer for girls between the ages of eight and about fourteen. If they have seen “Les Mis” and responded to it as young women, they remain loyal to the show—and to the emotions it evoked—forever. At that age, the sense of victimization is very strong, and “Les Mis” is all about victimization. That the story has nothing to with our own time makes the emotions in it more—not less—accessible, because feeling is not sullied by real-world associations. But whom, may I ask, is everyone crying for? For Jean Valjean? For Fantine? Fantine is hardly on the screen before she is destroyed. Indeed, I’ve heard of people crying on the way into the movie theatre. It can’t be the material itself that’s producing those tears. “Les Mis” offers emotion… about emotion.

But, you say, what’s wrong with a good cry? What harm does it do anyone? No harm. But I would like to point out that tears engineered this crudely are not emotions honestly earned, that the most cynical dictators, as Pauline Kael used to say, have manipulated emotions with the same kind of kitsch appeal to gut feelings. Sentimentality in art is corrosive because it rewards us for imprecise perceptions and meaningless hatreds. Revolution breaks out in “Les Mis.” What revolution? Against whom? In favor of what? It’s just revolution—the noble sacrifice of handsome, ardent boys taking on merciless power. The French military, those canaille, gun down the beautiful boys. It’s all so generic. The vagueness is insulting.

And now, the real point: our great musicals were something miraculous. They were a blessed artifice devoted to pleasure, to ease and movement, exultation in the human body, jokes and happy times, the giddiness of high hopes. Even the serious musicals, like “Carousel” and “West Side Story,” had their funny moments. (In fairness, there is comedy in “Les Mis,” in the form of the larcenous innkeepers played by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen, but they do the same damn pickpocket joke so many times that they hardly provide relief.) If you want emotion in a musical, please, if you’ve never seen it, catch the George Cukor version of “A Star is Born,” in which Judy Garland (John Lahr agrees with me on this) produces the single greatest moment in film-musical history. Late at night in a club, when she thinks no one is listening (while James Mason lurks in the shadows), she sings the Harold Arlen torch song “The Man That Got Away.” Overwhelming.

Here are my two cures for those suffering from absorption in “Les Mis.” Both of them are obvious.

Cure No. 1: Download the Astaire-Rogers “Top Hat” from Amazon. Throw it on a big screen if you can. Or download “Singin’ in the Rain,” with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds, or “The Band Wagon,” with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, or “An American in Paris,” with Kelly again. I will tell you right now that these movies will not make you cry. But if you’ve never seen them before, they may open an entirely new path to pleasure. See them twice, and you will put aside the maudlin nonsense of “Les Mis” forever.

Cure No, 2. “Les Mis,” as everyone knows, is sung all the way through, like an opera. It’s an opera, however, with music not worth listening to. But if you enjoy the convention of an entirely sung play, I suggest listening to another successful piece of musical theatre based on a work by Victor Hugo—Verdi’s “Rigoletto,” which has been running continuously more or less everywhere since 1851. “Rigoletto” is an adaptation of the Hugo play “Le Roi S’Amuse.” Another cruel and melodramatic story: A hunchback in a royal court tries to save his daughter from the overwhelming attractions of a seductive and handsome duke. He fails, the daughter dies, and the hunchback is crushed by fate, by curses, by his own efforts to save her. The entire piece, which is almost an hour shorter than “Les Mis,” exhibits a conciseness, power, and lyrical invention that remains devastating on the tenth hearing. No one would call “Rigoletto” sentimental. It is heartless and fragile, enraged and wounded, frivolous and tragic. Genuine emotions. The old Maria Callas performance, with Tito Gobbi as Rigoletto and Giuseppe di Stefano as the Duke, and with Tullio Serafin conducting the La Scala forces, is still the best version, and it can be had for exactly $11.99 from ArkivMusic. Walk gingerly into the dark, an act at a time. Therein lies salvation.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Here's another review making the rounds on Facebook.  Good for some chuckles.  ;D

Les Miserables Taught Me How to Hate Again

Posted on December 28, 2012
by The Matt Walsh Blog

Last night I went to a showing of Les Miserables. And when I say “went to” I mean “hogtied and dragged at gun point by my wife, her sister and her mom”. By the looks of many of the other men in that crowded overheated theater, I was not the only hostage victim in attendance. In fact I saw one dude commit Hara-kiri while shouting “death before dishonor” in the parking lot prior to the screening. At first I thought he was slightly overreacting. And then the movie started.

I have to say, after watching the entire film, it was actually a thousand times worse than I could have imagined. Les Miserables will stand forever as the most miserable cinematic experience I’ve ever suffered through. And this is coming from a guy who saw “Christmas with the Kranks” in theaters, so that should tell you something.

Let me run through a few points about this excruciating horror show for anyone, especially any man, who has not yet been forced to endure it.

Les Miserables apparently holds the Guinness world record for longest musical about a minor parole violation. It tells the utterly pointless tale of an ex-con as he tries to elude a bumbling parole officer for 20 years. This is also, it should be mentioned, the first film to show two decades pass by in real time. So if you’re heading to the theater tonight make sure to pack a change of clothes. My wife told me afterward that the movie, despite its torturous running time, actually CUT OUT several scenes from the original play. Too bad they didn’t cut out more scenes. Like every scene. Of course it didn’t have to be that long. Hugh Jackman, the criminal guy, could have just, you know, MOVED OUT OF THE FREAKING CITY IF HE DIDN’T WANT TO BE CAUGHT. Instead this whole game of cat-and-mouse between Jackman and Russell Crowe takes place in one neighborhood. The dumbest criminal of the millennium vs. a law enforcement officer that makes every Leslie Nielsen character look like Sherlock Holmes in comparison.

Oh. But it gets worse. Much worse. They sing. Dear God do they sing. They sing EVERYTHING. Look, I know it’s a musical. I get it. I’ve seen Fiddler on the Roof and The Sound of Music and West Side Story. They sing in those films/plays also. But then they break up the musical numbers with normal dialogue. But that’s just too simple and not nearly irritating enough, according to the maniac who wrote this tornado of crap. Every single line in the movie is sung. It doesn’t matter how pedestrian the dialogue, they have to put it to music: “Pass the salt”, “Hang on I gotta take a leak”, etc. All put to song. My sister-in-law cried throughout the whole movie. I cried tears of blissful joy when Russell Crowe threw himself off a bridge at the end because it meant he’d finally stop singing. BUT EVEN THAT DIDN’T STOP HIM. All the dead people had to come back before the credits for one last encore. By the way, Crowe, you’re the guy who played the gladiator but now you will live in infamy as the most awkward casting decision in Hollywood history. You reminded me of someone’s dad who was tossed into the school play at the last minute after his son came down with laryngitis on opening night.

But let’s talk about the “big” musical numbers. You don’t need to buy the soundtrack. I’ll sum up every song in the movie. Here you go: “I’m so lonely, I’m so alone, look at me my life is hard, I’m alone, I’m on my own, there’s this empty chair here, it’s empty because I’m alone, I’m lonely, all this bad stuff has happened to me because of my inexcusably stupid life choices, I’m alone, I feel so alone, on my own, on my own, on my own, did I mention I’m on my oooooowwwwwn?”

Not a dry eye in the house after we heard that one. For the 40th time.

Vapid, shallow, predictable, self indulgent and emotionally manipulative. “BUT IT’S A CLASSIC!” No. No it’s not. Who cares if the play has been around for a while? Malaria has been around for a while. Just because something is old doesn’t make it a “classic”.

And I haven’t even mentioned the fact that half the characters in this flick– which is set in France — have an inexplicable limey British chimney sweep accent. That would make sense for Mary Poppins but not this. Incidentally THAT’S a musical I’d sooner watch 5 times in a row before being subjected to another 3 minutes of Les Miserables.

Then, two thirds of the way through the movie, we get the obligatory tragic love story. Here’s how it goes: a young French revolutionary spots a blonde chick across the street. The two lock eyes and literally THAT NIGHT the dumb desperate loser is singing about how he’d “die for her”. Really? And I’m supposed to become psychologically invested in a plot device that has just reduced the beauty, joy, pain and sacrifice of romantic love to something you can catch like a cold or fall into like a puddle? I know Hollywood has been peddling that nonsense for ages but this was simply too much to cope with.

To make matters worse we’re all supposed to be super impressed because the songs (and by “songs” I mean “every single word uttered during the course of the entire picture”) are performed live instead of being recorded in a studio and dubbed into the film. “GEE WOW I’M SO ENAMORED WITH YOUR ARTISTIC INTEGRITY”. Is that the reaction I’m supposed to have? I don’t know because my initial reaction was something like “Man, this sounds awful”. Instead of lip syncing pre-recorded songs, the actors sputtered out of key while choking back tears and gasping for breath. It was like listening to someone sing karaoke while being chased by a swarm of African killer bees. Coincidentally, that is the actual premise of a reality show on TruTV. Except that show likely has more depth and intelligence. I don’t care if the “let’s do it live” move was “revolutionary”. Not all revolutions are good. Just ask France.

I could go on. But I won’t. I hated Les Miserables with a violent passion. Let’s leave it at that.

And at this: my wife now has to watch four mob movies, three war movies and two History Channel documentaries with me.

That’s the exchange rate.

Sorry, honey, I don’t make the rules. But I will enforce them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm.....maybe I won't see it after all.....  ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre