Author Topic: Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs  (Read 93592 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »
This is mind-blowingly beautiful!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MXlm47iCzU&feature=share[/youtube]
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

Now this is another thing altogether.  I nominate this as the most bizarre xmess song:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXDLY-tH8_w&feature=related[/youtube]

"I was drinking Champale.  Pink Champale."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »
This is mind-blowingly beautiful!

Sure enough, Meryl!  Thanks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2017, 12:01:20 am »
Christmas is only a little more than two weeks away. Time to resurrect this thread.  ;D

I was thinking about it over dinner this evening. I'm sure I must have written about this somewhere on a preceding page, but I'm not going to search for it. I'm just going to say, probably repeating myself, that if I never heard "White Christmas" and "Silent Night" again, I wouldn't mind.

Aside from the fact that the song gets done to death every holiday season, I suspect I dislike "White Christmas" because it's not true to my life. "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know"? Hello. I grew up and live in southeastern Pennsylvania. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of "white Christmases" that I've experienced in my 59 years. And every year the TV weather talkers prattle about "our chances for a white Christmas."  :P

"Silent Night" just raises my blood sugar level.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:42 am »
I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of "white Christmases" that I've experienced in my 59 years.

I dream of a brownish-greenish Christmas. That is, a Christmas without snow, which I am pretty sure I have never seen. I remember at least a couple of years where it came close, but there was always at least an inch or two on the ground by Dec. 25. And sometimes much more than that. I'm not a big fan of winter or snow, so I would be happy with a Christmas of color.

Of course, I've lived in other places over the Christmas season that were slightly less white than Minneapolis. In New Orleans, I loved doing my shopping in a T-shirt, walking around the French Quarter, sipping a Hurricane from Pat O'Briens' takeout window.

But since my then-husband and I both have/had family in Minneapolis, we always came back here for the actual holiday.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2017, 08:52:17 pm »
"Silent Night" just raises my blood sugar level.

perhaps a different version is in order........

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_GGBAxwm0I[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2018, 11:49:19 am »
When my alarm went off this morning, the radio station was playing that great Christmas classic "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2018, 12:06:14 pm »
Thanks for bumping this thread, Jeff! It only took me 8 years but I just listened to Leontyne Price singing "O Holy Night." Mesmerizing!

I heard Pavarotti singing it yesterday, when the carol won the Christmas Countdown on our classical music station for the third year in a row. I think I prefer the Price version.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2018, 02:31:44 pm »
There's controversy brewing around "Baby, It's Cold Outside." At least one radio station has banned it because it can be interpreted as a date-rape scenario. I've thought that for a couple of years, and at one point commented on FB that the woman in the song probably wound up with a #metoo story.

So now Dean Martin's daughter has been defending it, saying her father would never think that way. Which may be true, although if Dean ever did think that way I doubt he'd tell his daughter about it. (Bill Cosby's wife defended him, too.)

But here's my take on it. It's possible that Dean Martin and whoever else has sung it may not have meant it that way. And maybe it didn't even occur to some that it could be interpreted that way. But it's part of a culture that encourages men to think it's OK to act that way and then keep going, despite the woman's protests.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2018, 12:54:13 am »
When my alarm went off this morning, the radio station was playing that great Christmas classic "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."  :laugh:

blech!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!