Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain: How it has affected you and society a year later  (Read 3295 times)

injest

We have all lived with this movie for a while. How has it changed YOUR life? Do you see any change in society at large? Can a movie really change how a person truly is inside?

Tell us your thoughts on the movie...and how you are still affected...

injest

Re: Brokeback Mountain: How it has affected you and society a year later
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 03:38:45 pm »
this is a pm I am posting with permission of the author Garry LH.

How can anyone, that says their lives were deeply touched by “Brokeback Mountain”, claim they have no issues in their own lives? That is the greatest power of the story of Jack and Ennis. To see how not facing the hard decisions in life will leave you, in the very least, a metaphorical replay of the final scene of the film. Where all Ennis can see is the memory of two old shirts, and that postcard of a long ago summer, when right behind that closet door is a window Ennis still can't open. A window whose view gives us the living green of a life still full of possibilities. And yet,
just beyond that green is an empty harvested field. A field empty of the sweet harvest of the grain of life Ennis will inherit in the end, if he does not find some way to honor those final words. 'Jack... I swear.'

I think we all need to remember that changing your life is not easy, and it is not a one time decision..we need to keep thinking and living truly in our lifes...not just cruising through on automatic.

Thank you Garry for letting me post this...

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
I can't say much about how BBM has changed or affected society because I'm living abroad and have been a long time, but it did impact my life personally.  It made me aware of my own loneliness and isolation, more aware than ever before, and of a need to really do something to change that instead of letting it go as a hopeless situation; impossible to change.

I first started writing and communicating with people here, then I set out a plan to at least place myself in situations and locations where I might actually meet someone to date.  I'd been living quite alone for years, you see, and I mean alone in the sense of not "seeing" anyone.  I had/have friends, but wasn't dating.

This had partly to do with the breakup of the long term relationship (15 years) with my former friend and lover.  That was very hard to handle and I just didn't feel like trying anymore to meet or date anyone.  But the power of BBM got through to me and I started over!

Since then, which was only last Feburary (2006), I have gone out, met people, made more friends and even met someone I have a lot in common with and well, we hit it off, and are dating!  Yeah, it's funny that it took a movie to "get me going" again, but that really is how  art works on some people and why art is such an valuable and precious experience.

So, that's a little on how Brokeback Mt. changed me.  It "got me good" and because it did, I got myself going and made my life better.  I hope others do too.   I don't come 'round as much as I did when I first started out here, but I'll be in touch.

Happily,
Rayn

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 11:56:04 am »
I can't say much about how BBM has changed or affected society because I'm living abroad and have been a long time, but it did impact my life personally.  It made me aware of my own loneliness and isolation, more aware than ever before, and of a need to really do something to change that instead of letting it go as a hopeless situation; impossible to change.

I first started writing and communicating with people here, then I set out a plan to at least place myself in situations and locations where I might actually meet someone to date.  I'd been living quite alone for years, you see, and I mean alone in the sense of not "seeing" anyone.  I had/have friends, but wasn't dating.

This had partly to do with the breakup of the long term relationship (15 years) with my former friend and lover.  That was very hard to handle and I just didn't feel like trying anymore to meet or date anyone.  But the power of BBM got through to me and I started over!

Since then, which was only last Feburary (2006), I have gone out, met people, made more friends and even met someone I have a lot in common with and well, we hit it off, and are dating!  Yeah, it's funny that it took a movie to "get me going" again, but that really is how  art works on some people and why art is such an valuable and precious experience.

So, that's a little on how Brokeback Mt. changed me.  It "got me good" and because it did, I got myself going and made my life better.  I hope others do too.   I don't come 'round as much as I did when I first started out here, but I'll be in touch.

Happily,
Rayn

I think this is a crisp and clear summary. With a fear of preempting others' personal feelings, I bet Rayn's assessment is somewhat universal.

for me, the first seven months of 2006 was the happiest period in my life since about 1985. the primary aspect was BBM, no question. I thought how entire teams of head-shrinkers would have a heyday with such a situation (a movie doing THAT to one's life?), but it was truly a reawakening that nothing else had ever nourished.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 11:58:09 am »
 If you read my first posts, you'll see the "plans" I had early on.  I had planned to get a better job, but I didn't quit the one I had.  What I did was, started going out to places I hadn't before; started being open to "receiving" what I needed in life.  I also applied for and got a huge promotion at work that gave me way more money and, even better, more control over my work and schedule.  I empowered myself to make the changes I needed, but who knows how long I might have taken if not for Brokeback Mt? 

I know people will write and talk about the film for a very long time.  I wish that other people, people who didn't really like the movie or who didn't understand it , could understand how greatly it has helped so many people.  I rate it as one of the top five movies that have had the greatest impacts on my thinking and way of living: Gandhi, A Thin Red Line, Jeremiah Johnson, Jesus of Nazareth.  That may be hard to understand for some, but it's perfect clear to me.... of course. 

;)

Peace. 
Rayn

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:35 pm »
I think this is a crisp and clear summary. With a fear of preempting others' personal feelings, I bet Rayn's assessment is somewhat universal.

for me, the first seven months of 2006 was the happiest period in my life since about 1985. the primary aspect was BBM, no question. I thought how entire teams of head-shrinkers would have a heyday with such a situation (a movie doing THAT to one's life?), but it was truly a reawakening that nothing else had ever nourished.

I'm truly happy for you HerrKaiser!  It's good to know, as I too had imagined, that others out there benefited from Brokeback.   Thanks for writing and I'm sure you're right about those who have made changes in their lives because of it.  We are all very similar in so many ways, it's got to be so.

Peace and love is there for the making, the journey begins with the first step toward the destination!

Rayn

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:12:41 pm »
I think it has effected society in subtile ways, there is more of a dialogue I feel, people who would show their ignorance may be a tad more sensitive it seems.

For me, it has been an invigorating affirmation. I am less afraid of the world, I am prouder to be who I am, I treasure things more.

"This Thing" gets into you and resonates. It made me realize a lot of the stuff I'd left hanging in my life. It made me realize that I needed not love, just not be in a realtionship. "This thing" creeps into every song I hear, every breeze, every little dram that unfolds. It is life. The story touched me in a place that reminded me to breath.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 05:50:02 pm »
["This Thing" gets into you and resonates. It made me realize a lot of the stuff I'd left hanging in my life. It made me realize that I needed not love, just not be in a realtionship. "This thing" creeps into every song I hear, every breeze, every little dram that unfolds. It is life. The story touched me in a place that reminded me to breath.
[/quote]

This movie has opened my eyes to alot.  I also think the movie has meant alot to straight and gay people everywhere.  It made me love and appreciate what I have even more.  I thank God that I can love who and when I want to and it has made more appreicative and understanding of those who are not allowes this great joy.  I think it has opened alot of eyes.  I hope it continues to open eyes that are tightly closed and shows them a new way.  We all still have a long way to go and I am thankful that I have met so many wonderful people along the way. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 07:14:14 pm »
It was somewhat disappointing that there was not some media "hype" about the first anniversary of the film's release, a couple weeks ago. the impact on a societal scale may be waning, but I watched the film twice over the new year's weekend in order to try to get the feeling, again, from a year ago. tough to ever have the "first feeling" repeated, but the awe and everlasting images/themes shall be indelibly imprinted on my brain. so, in some ways, the multiple viewings have a bit of the first time feel.

It would be great to be re-released for a run this spring. such a film with lasting value could easily regenerate audiences.