Author Topic: London Olympics - News & Views  (Read 234301 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
London Olympics - News & Views
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:10 am »
The Games are gettin' started today so I thought a new thread might be in order.

I've been without a T.V. for the past 4 years plus - that is to say I cancelled by cable nearly 5 years ago and haven't watched any T.V. except for DVDs and what I've been able to streamline on my computer in all that time. However, about a month ago I splurged on a 46" wide LED T.V. and had an antenna installed on my roof so I will now be able to watch (probably far too) many hours of coverage of the London Games.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: London Olympics - News & Views
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:09:02 am »
I'm sure there are going to be daily google doodles during these games, as there were during the Vancouver 2010 games. Here's the first, for Opening Ceremony day ...

reposted from the 'google doodle' thread.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:25:08 am »
Oops - I missed it by one day.

Apparently the 'Are you planning to watch the Olympics' thread, from 2008, has been reactivated.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,21888.0/topicseen.html

Now there's a new 2012 London Olympics thread in Chez Tremblay merging a post from this thread to those posted recently in that reactivated 2008 Olypics' thread - should you prefer not to post in my blog.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,50063.msg635912.html#new

I'll be posting on this thread as before.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:29:45 am by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »
The opening ceremonies ended a little more than half an hour ago and they're now broadcasting a 'Reader's Digest' version.

I enjoyed the show. Highlights for me included the James Bond bit with the Queen, the Mr Bean segment (and I'm not a fan of either characters), the grandiosity (Is that even a word?) of the show, especially the beginning. I loved the drums - thoughout the proceedings; the cultural influence of Great Britain in the past half century (party in a house); the flame cauldrum.

This is the first games to have both male and female athletes from every single participating country.(although far more felt the need to have one of the women be flag bearer.)

Some (slight) negatives ... What the hell is Muhammed Ali doing there? Why was the cauldrum lit by seven 'aspiring' British athletes? (after all, Roger Banister, the first man to break the four minute mile is still around), and why did Paul McCartney get to sing only one song?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:54:07 am by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »
Why was the cauldrum lit by seven 'aspiring' British athletes? (after all, Roger Banister, the first man to break the four minute mile is still around).

Why indeed. I just learned yesterday that Roger Banister is still living. I was "betting myself" this evening that he would be "the one."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2U4ianzLY0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9qfggbLJE&feature=related[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwujbz5wxc&feature[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erDi2guRj1w&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QP6NzMsX7I&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »
Tell you what. I hate to sound like a Pollyanna, but I do like to watch the Parade of Nations. All those wonderful, talented young people, looking so happy and so proud to be representing their countries at the Olympics! I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be in their place.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:18 am »
Great work, UK! I watched the entire thing, beginning to end. I liked that they had brought a lot of humour into it. Mr Bean was probably my favorite and the first part with the chimneys.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:17 am »
Tell you what. I hate to sound like a Pollyanna, but I do like to watch the Parade of Nations. All those wonderful, talented young people, looking so happy and so proud to be representing their countries at the Olympics! I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be in their place.  :)

And Good Looking!!

Healthy people have a glow about them. Even the women (gay man here - don't usually notice 'em) were quite attractive.

The uniforms (and costumes) were in large part attractive as well. Heard the Australian uniforms had the names of every past gold medal winners stitched into the lining. I found some of the men's hats to have missed their mark. Austerity hats, I call 'em (can't recall from which nation). I might get use to the American beret, but right now, I'm still not likin' 'em much.

And still, in 2012, the American's teeth all look far too perfect - not quite human.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:07:22 am by Sheriff Roland »