Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77723 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:37 pm »
I will be watching the Olympics, so I answered Yes - Some of it. I love the Olympics. It's a time when the world can come together to celebrate and unite. I know some people plan on boycotting the Olympics due to their opposition to China and human rights, but we must remember these young people have trained for years and years for this moment. What is happening in China is not their fault. And even though I cheer for the athletes from my country, I always feel happy for the individual who wins the event, as their country's flag is hoisted high above their head and his or her country's national anthem is played. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

I'll probably inevitably end up watching a little bit of the Olympics (which is what I voted for).  I'm not a sports fan at all - except for bull riding!!  So, the Olympics aren't really my favorite thing to watch.  Although, there are some summer events that I do find fun... diving in particular.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:41:36 pm »
Well, I checked "Other" because it very much depends on whether a sport I enjoy watching (e.g., Men's Diving, Men's Gymnastics) is broadcast at a time I can watch.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:32:26 pm »
Yes, I will watch some of it, particularly the sports where Australia has a good representation.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:18 pm »
I will be watching the gymnastics with my daughter.I will also be watching the tennis with younger son, and if there is any wrestling I will watch that with older son.
I cannot condone what is going on in China, but I separate that from the athletes.I am so involved in sports with the kids.I know even at their level how much work goes into every event. My tennis mad son was meant to be playing an exhibition match today and it was called off, due to a massive thunderstorm.He was so upset as was his opponent.
So I will cheer for the athletes and try and put the politics aside.My biggest dilemma is who to cheer for,Brits or Americans !!!!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »
My biggest dilemma is who to cheer for,Brits or Americans !!!!!

Tell you what, no offense but that reminds me of the one thing I hate the worst about the Olympics: being constantly bombarded by a medal tally by country by the TV commentators.  >:(

Talk about being contrary to the Olympic spirit!  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:54 pm »
Tell you what, no offense but that reminds me of the one thing I hate the worst about the Olympics: being constantly bombarded by a medal tally by country by the TV commentators.  >:(

Talk about being contrary to the Olympic spirit!  :(

No offense taken,being originally from the U.K I never had to listen to a very long medal tally.More a case of blink and it's gone.
I do remember one particularly fine olympics many, many moons ago, where the whole of my all girls convent school developed a collective, massive crush on Mark Spitz, the swimmer.His medal tally which I think was 7 was even mentioned at our end of year mass !!!!!
Can you believe that.All those raging hormones in the students, and years of unleashed hormones in the nuns, heady days !!!!
It brings a smile to my face even all these years on.He was American I believe.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:40 pm »
Not really, no.  I find it jingoistic to the nth degree.  All this competition between countries... it's just silly.

<--- shameless bleeding heart liberal
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »
looking forwrd rto watching some of it - probably stuff like the gymnastics, the rowing, etc.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:00:49 pm »
To me, any decent person should NOT watch the China 2008 Olympics !