Author Topic: Another Deleted scene?  (Read 17453 times)

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Another Deleted scene?
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:17:31 am »
Hi everyone..
I think this is my first post on this forum.  I've read it many times, but I'm not sure if I've introduced myself.  If I haven't I'll make a post to do just that shortly.

Just recently, I discovered this photo in Yahoo groups...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/kaijuman/cca8.jpg

If this has been discussed before, then please forgive me, I've been away for a while.  But I'm curious about it.  It was titled as Ennis in front of the Twist family plot where Jack was burried... but I know nothing else about it.
The photo doesn't look doctored, so I'm presuming it's a deleted scene.
Does anyone have any more info?

(and here I thought I knew all the deleted scenes!)  ???
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Another Deleted scene?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:44 am »
I've seen that photo around (and another one, as well). I haven't anything more about it, though. There isn't a scene at the Twist cemetary in either of the early drafts of the script that I've read, but that doesn't mean the scene wasn't written, filmed, and then left out.

It's also possible that some of the photos floating around are photos, shot for publicity, rather than stills from scenes in the movie. (Most of the pictures of Jack and Ennis leaning against one truck or another are probably something like that, I imagine.)

It's a very poignant shot, though, that's for sure. (The bag! The emptiness of the northern plains! The heartbreak on Ennis's face!)

(And welcome, Wreeah!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:11:06 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
I believe that this has to be a deleted scene, not a promo picture like those 1,001 shots of jack and/or Ennis posing on or by the truck. (Not that I don't think each and every one of those posed shots are entirely worthwhile, mind you  :) ).

Anyway, Ennis at the Twist plot hasn't been used in any promo that I've seen, and there are very few pics from the scene floating around..... and also it would in a way be giving away the film plot (no pun intended, certainly) too much, which doesn't make sense for promo shots. Plus, it's so sad, it hurts. So I'm pretty sure it has to be an actual deleted scene.

I've been wondering what Ennis is looking at in that first picture linked to here. Then recently I came across this one:

In the first pic he seems to be looking back towards that little copse of sorry-looking trees. Perhaps it's another crow, hidden in the branches, croaking loudly and ominously, just like when Ennis opened Jack's bedroom window.   :'(

We'll never know, of course, unless that elusive special edition DVD with the deleted scenes as bonus material ever materializes. I'm continuing to hope for that to happen.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:30:12 am by Mikaela »

Dafna

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:48:52 pm »
Both those pictures are lovely and heart breaking. Thank you.

I would not know if they were promo or from deleted scenes. I would imagine though there are deleted scenes out there that never made it to the movie. I too hope they will be available some day and soon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 05:12:21 pm »
I believe that this has to be a deleted scene, not a promo picture like those 1,001 shots of jack and/or Ennis posing on or by the truck. (Not that I don't think each and every one of those posed shots are entirely worthwhile, mind you  :) ).

Anyway, Ennis at the Twist plot hasn't been used in any promo that I've seen, and there are very few pics from the scene floating around..... and also it would in a way be giving away the film plot (no pun intended, certainly) too much, which doesn't make sense for promo shots. Plus, it's so sad, it hurts. So I'm pretty sure it has to be an actual deleted scene.

I've been wondering what Ennis is looking at in that first picture linked to here. Then recently I came across this one:

In the first pic he seems to be looking back towards that little copse of sorry-looking trees. Perhaps it's another crow, hidden in the branches, croaking loudly and ominously, just like when Ennis opened Jack's bedroom window.   :'(

We'll never know, of course, unless that elusive special edition DVD with the deleted scenes as bonus material ever materializes. I'm continuing to hope for that to happen.

Your way of thinking here is very plausible. I agree that it is probably from a deleted scene. Too spoiler-ish, too sad (or is it only *so* sad for us, who know and love the movie?).

Thank you for this picture, Mikaela  :-*. I haven't seen it before.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:43:33 pm »
We need to start a campaign, we need to write Focus Features and demonstrate to them the viability for them and the need by us for a director's cut version.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:52:30 pm »
LA:

100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA  91608

888 777 7373

NY:

65 Bleeker Street, 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10012

212 539 4000

London:

Oxford House
76 Oxford Street, 4th Floor
London W1D 1BS, UK

+44 207 307 1330

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »
We need to start a campaign, we need to write Focus Features and demonstrate to them the viability for them and the need by us for a director's cut version.

Tell you what, I'm all for seeing deleted scenes, but don't call it "a director's cut." It's been said elsewhere by folks more movie-savvy than me, that with Ang Lee, what we've got is "the director's cut."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:26 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. "The Directors Cut" it shall be.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:04:04 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. "The Directors Cut" it shall be.

I apologize for being a little bit snarky in my previous post, but what I meant was, it's been said that with Ang Lee as the director, the movie as it exists now is "the director's cut."

There may have been scenes filmed that were left out of the final version, such as Ennis standing by "the grieving plain," but, sure enough, they were left out by Ang Lee's choice, not because someone else, at Focus Features or wherever, decided they had to be cut.

So any hypothetical re-edit of the film to include any deleted footage won't be "a" or "the" "director's cut." We already have the director's cut, what Ang Lee wants the audience to see, in the film as it now exists.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.