Author Topic: Another Deleted scene?  (Read 17443 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Another Deleted scene?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 04:10:42 pm »

From Mikaela:
Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

To me it looks like another person with blue clothing. Like an arm. I think it can't be a part of the truck, because the truck would have been inside the cementary then.

Maybe it's not only a deleted scene, but an outtake from a deleted scene, where someone from the crew was visible in the camera's range of vision.

Am I the only one who thinks Ennis looks somehow different in the first picture? Too young and ...?? Can't put my finger on it.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 05:01:40 pm »
From Rutellla
I've heard about the hippie scene, but I haven't seen the script of it (I only have the 2005 script in the story-to-screenplay book), what do they say?

It's wuite some time since I read that - and I don't have it to re-read. But I recall that the hippie leader indicated that he thinks Ennis is too tense and hung up, and that Jack afterwards comments to Ennis that he is well hung up. (Swear to God I don't know why I remember that, particularly. Hell, yes I do..... :blush: )

From Penthesilea
To me it looks like another person with blue clothing. Like an arm. I think it can't be a part of the truck, because the truck would have been inside the cementary then.

Maybe it's not only a deleted scene, but an outtake from a deleted scene....

This makes sense. Otherwise it would just be too strange within the context of the film that someone with a blue shirt would happen to be standing in the cemetary out in the middle of nowhere. If it'd been an altogether other type of film, it could have been some sort of vision of Jack or solidified memory that Ennis was having. But I can't see anyone associated with our film even contemplating that kind of thing.

Unless it's Jack's mother......

Anyway I agree that Ennis looks surprisingly young in the first pic. Another indication why the scene was not included in the final film, perhaps.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 06:29:40 pm »
I recall that the hippie leader indicated that he thinks Ennis is too tense and hung up, and that Jack afterwards comments to Ennis that he is well hung up. (Swear to God I don't know why I remember that, particularly. Hell, yes I do..... :blush: )

:o :o :o

I'd never heard that before! Wow. That would be a little jarring in the movie, because there's no other lines remotely like it. (Do they ever allude verbally to anything sexual, at least after TS1, aside from Jack's "high-altitude fucks"?)

It would fit right into the story, though.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 06:59:29 pm »
I thought the blue-thing in that first photo was the edge of a granite tombstone.  It is after all a cemetary and I assume the Twists haven't always been down on their luck.  Maybe ?
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 07:06:51 pm »
Yes, I can think of a coupla instances, Katherine. There's the time when Ennis says, "I like doin it with women, yeah, but Jesus H., ain't nothin' like this."

Is it safe for me to bring up the "wrang it out" line, also by Ennis?

And then there's "You and Lureen, is it normal and all?" also by Ennis. That's from the movie.

Not trusting my memory any more, I drug out my version of the story this time to get the quotes right!

To me, they seem like sexual references, altho I suppose they could fall in the category of innuendo. But since they're from Ennis, I guess that's about as blatant as we're going a get. Not like Jack, he's pretty blunt about the HAFs.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 07:45:26 pm »
In the short story, also there's Ennis's "Sure as hell seem in one piece to me". But that's in the same paragraph as most of Ennis's other such sentences as mentioned by Lee.

In the film - nope. They don't talk about it - or even allude to it, - certainly not after they start the fishing trips.That part of the short story's motel scene has been cut out, except Jack's line about "getting into this again". The film's got a "neither show nor tell" policy going for the whole post motel part - which makes Jack's eventual "high altitude fucks" line stand out and seem all the more significant and conspicuous, as must surely have been the intention.

What they don't talk about tell a lot about them, about their relationship, during the various stages of those 20 years. Pre-TS1 they never talk of girls or sex the way you'd have expected two 19-year old guys to do. (It's more conspicuous in the short story where we get a long list of what they talk about - down to the dogs they've owned and known, but not girls.) Of course once TS1 is past, the story says "they never talked about the sex, let it happen" - so the film's very canon there. Post-reunion they don't talk about sex either - at least not with each other - in the short story they even talk kids and wives and girlfriends while undressing and touching each other.

Despite all the above I've always thought that Ennis's line  "the kind of riding that interested him lasted longer than 8 seconds and had some point to it" was one of his few attempts of obvious innuendo. Of course, the line has been changed in the film to become a straightforward statement/question specifically about the point of rodeo riding, and any original innuendo is lost.

From Dot-matrix
I thought the blue-thing in that first photo was the edge of a granite tombstone.  It is after all a cemetary and I assume the Twists haven't always been down on their luck.  Maybe ?

Now I have this vision of Jack's granddad, insisting on being the stud duck in the family plot - insisting on having a granite tombstone, towering over the others'.  ::) But I do think it looks like cloth rather than stone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:59:19 pm by Mikaela »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 10:17:56 pm »

Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

This might be a minority opinion, but I'd definitely want to see that scene added, in addition to the cemetery scene. Probably the latter isn't very long.

Yeah, "director's cut" seems to be a bit of a misnomer, as a film belongs to the producer in the end, not the director. Unless they're one and the same, of course.

There was an alternative 'Closet' scene????  :o
Geez, I'm learning something new about this film all the time.
This is probably old news to most of you here, but I had never heard about this.
Man.... do I ever feel  behind the times  here...

It was either a different take or the scene we see extended.

I was on the bandwaggon to find that scene (alternate scene/cut), and thankfully we did finally locate it, one of the highpoints of my BetterMost experience.  Here is a link to more info about it.  I just checked, two of the four links are obsolete, so grab it while you can.  FYI the scene we were so over the moon about is only about two or three seconds, BTW.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2600.0;all

Jane

PS, Can you please answer the Poll question at the top?  this will have a two-fold beneficial effect.  tks.
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 10:22:56 pm »

The hippy scene is hilarious, especially for anyone who happens to be a recovering Deadhead, but I'm glad it isn't in the movie. I read somewhere that even when they filmed it, they knew it wasn't going to be included.

LOL Mel, I wish I could mind-meld to your brain, and gain all this vital, VALUABLE, oh--so-priceless inside information you have tucked away in there.  thanks for sharing...  :-*  (and if anyone is wondering, no, this is not meant to be sarcastic)

J

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:44 pm »

Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

Could it be the shadow of the Cameraman and his camera?  ie:  a blooper?

J

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:19 pm »
(And Jane, hon, my brain is a really scary place. Believe me, you just don't want to know what's in there...)

Are you kiddin' me?!!!  for the person who came up with this????

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4253.msg84124#msg84124

g'wan, don't be so dang modest Mel, you know I love your brain,  :-*

J