Author Topic: Anne and Lureen  (Read 3193 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Anne and Lureen
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:32 pm »
This may be familiar to many but was new to me:

In a November 2010 interview on the National Public Radio program "Fresh Air," Anne Hathaway told interviewer Terry Gross that she actually has no idea whether or not her character, Lureen, tells the truth in the phone conversation in which Lureen tells Ennis how Jack died. Hathaway said that she shot two takes of the scene: one in which Lureen "knew what was going on with Jake's character Jack and that he'd been cheating on me with men and that I knew about the gay bashing," and one in which Lureen "had no idea... you know, it was a terrible accident with a car tire." Hathaway told Gross that instead of using all of either take, there were shots from both takes edited into the final movie, so she doesn't know what the director's or the editor's intentions for her character or for the truth about Jack's death really were. She also said that she has never asked director Ang Lee what he thinks the truth is because "Ang knows the truth in his head, and it's not important to me. I actually think I get to be a part of the film as an audience member because I don't know, because I think the ambiguity is what is the strength of that scene and what's heartbreaking about it."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Anne and Lureen
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »
I hadn't heard that before...thanks for posting, chowie! Ang is certainly a very talented director!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:47:37 am »

I was always upset that she was the only one of the main characters who wasn't nominated for the Academy Award.  The scene on the
telephone is one of the greatest in the film.  She was awesome in every scene she was in.

Beautiful mind

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
I didn't know that either, thanks for sharing.  He's a sly one, our Mr. Lee....  ;)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:06 am »
I had no idea of this either.

Very cool that he used scenes from both takes.

I found a link on Google to a Terry Gross interview with Anne, but I haven't listened to it, and can't because I'm at work, so I'm not 100% sure this is valid, but I'm putting it here just in case it is.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/24/131566903/anne-hathaway-from-princesses-to-passion

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »
This may be familiar to many but was new to me:

In a November 2010 interview on the National Public Radio program "Fresh Air," Anne Hathaway told interviewer Terry Gross that she actually has no idea whether or not her character, Lureen, tells the truth in the phone conversation in which Lureen tells Ennis how Jack died. Hathaway said that she shot two takes of the scene: one in which Lureen "knew what was going on with Jake's character Jack and that he'd been cheating on me with men and that I knew about the gay bashing," and one in which Lureen "had no idea... you know, it was a terrible accident with a car tire." Hathaway told Gross that instead of using all of either take, there were shots from both takes edited into the final movie, so she doesn't know what the director's or the editor's intentions for her character or for the truth about Jack's death really were. She also said that she has never asked director Ang Lee what he thinks the truth is because "Ang knows the truth in his head, and it's not important to me. I actually think I get to be a part of the film as an audience member because I don't know, because I think the ambiguity is what is the strength of that scene and what's heartbreaking about it."

Yes, I heard that interview as well. It is an interesting take on it. I wonder what Ang has to say.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."