Author Topic: Cleaning Bathroom Shower  (Read 10027 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Cleaning Bathroom Shower
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:56:08 am »
I have been using Clorox Gel Bleach Toilet Bowel Cleaner to clean the shower. I apply it to random spots & its runs inbetween all the cracks. I let it sit all day & then use Scrubbing Bubbles to spiff it up. Then I use CLR to clean the grimey stuff off the glass. It works pretty well.
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cleaning Bathroom Shower
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »
Tampa, I use bleach. I apply it full strength, let it sit for a day or so, and then scrub and rinse it off. I have also used a combination of baking soda and vinegar, which works pretty well.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:59:17 am »
Tampa, I use bleach. I apply it full strength, let it sit for a day or so, and then scrub and rinse it off. I have also used a combination of baking soda and vinegar, which works pretty well.

This sounds good. I thought about one of those automatic things that people hang on the shower wall also.
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:11 pm »
White vinegar works really well for cleaning that grimy scum off the shower door. It also removes white rings on floors and furniture where moisture has caused damage. You can buy a big jug of vinegar and use it full strength or dilute it. Plus it's way cheaper than scrubbing bubbles!

I would steer clear of anything that promises to clean your shower that is transmitted by air. Whatever is in the air is going to get into your lungs and body. When water droplets are present, this transmission happens even faster. You get a big enough hit of toxins when you shower anyway, due to the presence of chlorine and other chemicals in the water.

The reason I let the bleach sit for a day is that it breaks down in that length of time into water and salt. That way, it's not as poisonous when washed down the drain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »
The absolute best way to clean a bathroom is to have someone else do it for you.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:58:08 pm »
Recaulk when you can't stand it anymore or just paint over it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »
Last night I decided to take out my frustrations on the brass bathroom fixtures, which were all pitted and tarnished. First I rubbed nail polish remover (acetone) over them to take off any remaining lacquer, then I rubbed them with steel wool, salt and a little vinegar. They look so much better! Now I don't cringe when I go in the bathroom.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:05:08 am »
let it sit for a day or so, and then scrub and rinse it off.

Now that is a very useful tip! Whatever agent you use, let it sit for a whole day. Previously I laways let the stuff sit for half an hour or so, but waiting a whole day really made a difference. Never did the grime in the seams between the tiles come off so easily. :)
Thanks for sharing, Lee!