Author Topic: What is your take on the BBM phenomenon  (Read 22531 times)

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What is your take on the BBM phenomenon
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Maybe my over-amped reaction to the movie and story is based on my own experience.  It was SO close to home.  Unlike with Ennis, to my sorrow, my Jack is not in my dreams.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »
I want to ask a question.  I am not being confrontational, nor do I want to start a row.  I really want to know:  What is the appeal of BBM to women?  Ennis and Jack are clearly only interested in each other.  Alma, Lureen, and Cassie are not well done by in the story and film.  I can easily--all too easily--identify either with Ennis or Jack.  Who do women identify with?  Do they pretend they are one of the men?  Is there more to it than that?  It's no good asking me to think about straight romantic films.  I watch them unfold, but I cannot relate to them at all.  Straight or lesbian erotic/romantic relationships are a total mystery.  I cannot change that.  But I still wonder if someone can explain to me how the BBM story can affect women.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:35 pm »
I guess there are a thousand answers to that, x-man. Here's one:
Apart from the gay bit, there's so much in the characters of Ennis and Jack that can be universal and shared by other people, e.g. straight women.

For example, off the top of my head:
Jack: never got what he wanted/needed from any man; not his father, not his father-in-law, not from random men in bars, certainly not from Ennis. I'm sure a lot of straight women can relate to that. Also there's his hopeful and positive nature, his unability to quit a relationship that probably drained him emotionally more than it actually gave him.

Ennis: his total emotional locked-in-ness. Ennis was so genuinely unhappy that he didn't even know it. He had one chance to happiness, he couldn't take it. His self-hate.

There are so many universal themes in BBM: lost chances, regret, love, once-in-a-life-time, grief, societal pressure, emotional self-cencorship (for whatever reason), unability to combine inner life with outer.

I belive all these themes, and a million more, speak to all people in various degrees, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.
But I have no answer to why there aren't very many lesbian women or straight men among the brokies.

Then, of course, there is the exclusively gay experience that so many gay men around here have talked about; to see - maybe for the first time - their own life played out on the big screen.

That's the beauty of BBM: so multi-faceted, so many layers, so universal, so personal, so exclusive.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 09:51:29 am »
Lovely answer, Sason!  I would agree with all you said.  My reason was twofold: 1) it is a tragic, but hopeful, love story, and what girl doesn't love that?; and 2) HELLO????  Have you seen Heath and Jake???  Eye candy all over the screen for 2 hours and 23 minutes, yippee skippee.  :laugh:
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:32 pm »
Sonja and Mandy have given wonderful answers and I have little to add. I might ask why gay men love I Love Lucy, The Wizard of Oz, Bewitched, and many other performances, but I won't. Suffice it to say that any work of great cinema or literature is loved and admired by a whole range of people,  not just people who are exactly like its characters.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »
Like you Paul, I did not know a thing about the story....except for the "gay cowboy" tag......I thought it was going to be set in the wild wild west, so I got my first surprise in the opening scene, when the year 1963 came up.

From there on in, I watched a life that I had lived, unfold...not one of the main characters, but one of the daughters.

Here was MY story, yet it wasn't my story, it was the story of the people in my life who had created my story. For the first time I was able to see it from their side, feel the emotions that they had felt...the anguish, the fear, the family committment, but especially the LOVE. It was gut wrenching, especially the end, when one was left alone, as was the case with my father.

The fact is, while I lived my story as a child and then as I got older, I really had never had anything or anyone show me how it would have been for the others...so as I sat and watched this movie, it all unfolded there in front of me like I was reading their secret diary or something. What it also showed me, was that I was not the only one who had lived in such a situation, that my story was not as unique as I had always thought it was. I had kept this part of my life secretive to so many people over the years, and here it was now, out for all to see and I had this feeling of relief that it was out there, and I wanted everyone to see it and feel it like I was.

There is no doubt it changed my future life, how fortunate I was to, so many years later, finally know how it all was back then. It was like my father talking to me from the grave, it was as if he waited till I was old enough to really understand, and unknown to me then, it also gave me the opportunity to meet with and talk with so many others who were like him, who also had their own story to tell.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:56 am »
Sason.  Thank you very much for your full and open explanation.  I now have a much better idea of why BBM would appeal to women.  I was so focused on the central love story, I could see nothing else.  Now I can. :)

Mandy21.  "and (2) HELLO? Have you seen Heath and Jake?"  Indeed I have.  I looked away from your words on my screen up at the large BBM wall posters here in my bedroom.  Ennis staring down at me is the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning.  (BTW, I asked a friend when he first saw them, "What do these posters say--I'm gay? or gay with a 'thing' for cowboys?"  "The latter," he replied.  Well, it's not true!  The closest I have ever gotten to a cowboy is hooking up a couple of times with the bass player in a country & western band from Manitoba.)  Mandy, you mean straight women can look at gorgeous men the way gay men do?  Who would have thought!   :)

Front-Ranger.  Do gay men love I Love Lucy, The Wizard of Oz, Bewitched?  I don't, or haven't since I was a child.  And even as a kid I only watched half an episode of Bewitched before dismissing it as silly tripe.  I don't watch old Joan Crawford, Bette Davis and Judy Garland movies either.  I don't like being reduced to a cultural cliche.  Please let's put that one to bed.  Personal anecdotes by gay friends who happen to like them are not enough evidence to say if the percentage of gay men who like them is any greater than of the population as a whole.  Straight bikers show up at Singalong Sound of Music's here in Toronto.   :)

Kathie77.  That must have been difficult to write, but thank you very much for showing me something I had never even considered before.  I have only hinted at my own BBM story in postings in BetterMost.  That's really all I can do without coming completely apart and exposing myself to such psychic pain that it would be almost unendurable.  I admire your courage in being able to speak openly of something that comes from a place so deep inside you.   :)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 09:58:26 am »
{{{{Sue}}}}, you just taught me something I never knew about you.  THANK YOU for sharing that.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:50 pm »
You're welcome, x-man. I'm glad you got some answers.

I forgot to add - and was reminded by Sue's moving post - that quite a few female members here and on DCF have gay sons, brothers,
ex-boyfriends.

That could be (one of) the reason(s) that BBM hit them so hard, to see parts of their loved one's lives in the movie.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:34:28 am »
X-man.....I wrote my story on here, just after I joined, which enabled me to talk more about it in real life.....

Mandy....I thought you knew my story, I have talked about it frequently on here....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection