Author Topic: Hugh Hugh Hugh!  (Read 148005 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Hugh Hugh Hugh! (was: Guess who became 38 years old today!)
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2007, 10:42:55 am »
The wolverine look

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2007, 10:43:57 am »
Happy goofy Hugh!

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2007, 11:31:37 am »
Hugh in Madrid. I can't believe I totally missed him. They were filming right next to my place, and I was out of town!  >:(

WHO'S THAT GUY?
Hiding behind a pair of nerdy glasses, actor Hugh Jackman is barely recognizable as he films a scene for his upcoming action thriller The Tourist in Madrid on Wednesday. (People Online January 11, 2007 edition).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:48:07 am by opinionista »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2007, 12:36:15 pm »
oh my lord I think he padded his trousers!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2007, 02:09:15 pm »
oh my lord I think he padded his trousers!

Padded? It looks like the real thing Louise. It really does. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2007, 04:35:55 pm »
How Hugh got his amazing chest  :D

It worked for Wolverine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. C. trainer put actor Hugh Jackman through tough regimen for X-Men
By LORRAYNE ANTHONY The Canadian Press

AFTER WHIPPING Hollywood hunk Hugh Jackman into even better shape for his X-Men 3 role as Wolverine, trainer Steve Ramsbottom fine-tuned his workout regimen for other people who want to add muscle mass while keeping the body lean and agile.

"When Hugh came in — he's a pretty fit guy already — I stuck to my philosophy and did an assessment and asked him his goals," said Ramsbottom from his gym, the Performance Institute in Burnaby , B.C.

"Hugh is a dream client."

While the rigorous Wolverine workout is sure to garner results, it has to be tweaked for those who aren't able to train more than five days a week for five months for their big role.

"They are unrealistic goals in that not everyone has the body type that can achieve that level," said Lorraine Hendry, manager of physiotherapy at the University of Ottawa 's Sports Medicine and Physiotherapy Centre.

She said that when people are motivated to get fit — at the beginning of a new year or after hearing about a workout used by Hollywood stars — they tackle it with a vengeance.

When they don't see results right away, they get frustrated and often quit. Or worse, they take on too much and injure themselves.

Hendry, a member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, said that if people start slowly to attain their fitness goals they tend to have better luck seeing them come to fruition.

Often people will join a gym or hire a personal trainer to help get them started.

Once you find a club and trainer with whom you are comfortable, Ramsbottom said a physical assessment is the first order of business. The process should take just under an hour and the trainer should ask you about specific goals.

While fitness assessments can vary from gym to gym and trainer to trainer, Ramsbottom is quite specific. He looks at body composition which includes skin-fold testing to measure body fat, posture and alignment of the pelvis to see if there will be any back issues. He also looks at flexibility, core strength, aerobic and anaerobic testing. This allows trainers to understand where the body is at before you embark on a program.

As for Jackman, he wanted to get leaner and put on more muscle. No one would believe Wolverine as a less-than-sleek mutant with powerful limbs behind his knife-like appendages.

The first thing Ramsbottom did was get Jackman into two different phases of weight training.

The first phase was focused on building muscle mass by altering the tempo or speed of the lift. Ramsbottom had Jackman lift the weight to a three-second count up and then a one-second count down.

"It's a lot more difficult and what it does is it increases the time under tension that you have on that muscle so you force adaptation and force breakdown in the actual muscle and, in turn, it ends up growing," said Ramsbottom, who added Jackman gained 15 pounds of muscle during the training.

The second phase focused on maximum strength where Jackman was lifting really heavy weights, without any attention to tempo. The goal of this phase is to increase strength, as opposed to mass.

Each phase lasted from six to 12 weeks depending on results and then was repeated. During each phase, Jackman would lift weights for one to two hours, five days a week. But during the last week of the phase, Jackman would lift only one day and fill the other days with yoga, pilates, running and stretching.

But Wolverine isn't supposed to look like a bodybuilder.

"It's a very athletic role that he has to play. So he needs to look the part but he needs to move properly so we tried to focus on athletic movements. Things that would not make him move like a bodybuilder but move like an athlete."

So every Friday, he would have Jackman take part in an hour-and-a-half bootcamp workout class.

Ramsbottom said that these types of classes are a really great way for both men and women to get lean and really fit at the same time, although he noted men tend to become lean more quickly than women.

He also said that varying the workout is an important factor in getting results.

"People stick with the same program too long. If they adjust the different variables — sets, tempo — that's going to force changes and get people more fit."

In addition to the exhaustive workout, Jackman was extremely disciplined about nutrition. He ate six meals a day made up of lots of vegetables and lean proteins.

He also had massage therapy every day to help his body recover.

And if there was ever a week where Jackson was really sore, Ramsbottom adjusted the five-day routine to include another day of working out.

"If you've pushed so hard you are sore, the worst thing is to actually sit there and do nothing."

The taskmaster does have a heart. If Jackman was simply burned out and tired, Ramsbottom would give him the day off. Still, the Australian actor isn't put off by harsh workouts. It's the third time he trained with Ramsbottom.

W0LVERINE WORKOUT

If you've been weight training but not getting the results you're seeking, Steve Ramsbottom, owner of the Performance Institute in Burnaby , B.C., suggests trying this three-day program. It includes some of the techniques he used to train Australian actor Hugh Jackman for his role as Wolverine in X-Men 3.

Ramsbottom recommends getting professional advice from a certified trainer before starting a new program and getting well acquainted with the equipment at your gym. He also suggests talking to your doctor before starting any program.

Day 1

(1) Dumbbell Chest Press (Swiss ball and dumbbells required):

While holding a pair of dumbbells, get into a table-top position with chest up and back to the floor, and with head resting on a Swiss ball and knees bent (imagine doing bench presses without the bench but using your core muscles and feet to stabilize your weight distribution).
Keep hips up and shoulder blades pulled down and back together.
Perform 12 reps (pick a weight so the 12th rep is hard); 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down.
(2) Push-ups:

Do immediately after chest press.
Keep head in line with the spine and support lower back by pulling belly button into the spine.
Can be done from knees or toes.
Perform 25 reps (take a break if you have to, but finish 25).
Rest 1 minute and repeat Dumbbell Press and Push-ups for 3 sets.
(3) Lat Pull Downs (modular lat pulldown machine required):

With palms facing away from the body, grip hands on the bend of the bar.
Pull bar down below chin, keeping shoulder blades pulled down and together.
Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds down and 3 seconds up.
(4) External Shoulder Rotations (tubing required):

Do immediately after Lat Pull Downs .
Use tubing with palms facing up and elbows in tight to body.
Stretch out band, holding elbows at 90 degrees, thumbs outward.
Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds out and 2 seconds back.
Rest 1 minute and repeat Lat Pulls and External Shoulder Rotations for 3 sets.
(5) Cable Side Raise (adjustable cable pulley machine required):

Grip a cable in front of the body with one arm, with a slight bend in the elbow.
Hold posture, keep shoulder blades down and back.
Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds down and 3 seconds up.
Do other arm immediately.
(6) Straight Bar Curl (free-standing bar required):

Grab bar shoulder-width apart and curl, holding a soft knee bend and without arching back.
Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down.
(7) Close Grip Bar Push-up (free-standing bar and squat rack required):

Do immediately after Straight Bar Curl.
In a squat rack, set up bar at waist height.
Perform a push-up with elbows in tight. Do 12 reps; 5 seconds down and 5 seconds up.
Rest 1 minute. Repeat Straight Bar Curls and Close Grip Bar Push-ups for 3 sets.
Day 2

(1) Leg Squat:

Slowly lower the body on one leg, bringing the hips back so the front knee does not go beyond the toes and squat until upper thigh is parallel to the ground.
Perform 12 reps on each leg; 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down.
Rest 1 minute and repeat for 3 sets.
(2) Balance Board Lunge (extreme or round board is required):

Place one foot centred on balance board, back foot on toes behind in a lunge.
Slowly bend both back and front knees into a lunge until front thigh is parallel to the ground.
Perform 12 reps on each leg; 4 seconds down and 4 seconds up.
(3) Split Leg Box Jump (do immediately after balance lunge):

Plant one foot on top of a box/bench that holds the front knee at 90 degrees.
With weight mainly on the top leg, jump and switch legs. Do 30 jumps.
Rest 1 minute. Repeat Balance Board Lunge and Split Leg Box Jumps — 3 sets.
(4) Jack Knife:

Start in a push-up position with toes on top of a Swiss ball.
Raise hips up slightly and draw the belly-button into the spine.
Pull knees up towards chest.
Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds in and 2 seconds out.
(5) Swiss Ball Crunch (do immediately after jack knife):

Lie on top of ball with low back supported; pull in belly button to spine.
Perform crunch, exhaling as you come up without allowing stomach to "pop up."
Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down.
Rest 1 min and repeat Jack Knife and Crunch 3 sets.

Day 3

Do 3 sets of the following exercises with no rest in between.

Walking Lunges: Hold dumbbells at sides. Step through front heel and bring back knee towards floor. Do 30 steps.
Push-ups: Do 100.
Swiss Ball Crunch: Do 50.
Sprint: Outside or on treadmill, sprint 1 minute at 80 per cent intensity.
Inch Worms : In a push-up position, take tiny steps so the feet come towards the hands. Keep walking until you feel a gentle stretch through the hamstrings. Do this 30 times.
Lat Pull Downs : Do 50.
Stairs: Take every second step. Perform 20 reps (up and down is 1).

http://www.performanceforsport.com/HughJackman.html

Offline opinionista

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2007, 04:39:05 pm »
He's got such a charming smile!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2007, 08:32:20 am »
There are no new pics of Hugh in the web  >:( . So I'm posting an old one. I love the way he looks in this one so, I think it bears repeating.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2007, 08:33:37 am »
And this one too  8)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2007, 08:43:32 am »
Tom Cruise really looks like a dwarf next to Hugh, doesn't he?