615,397 Posts in 14,785 Topics by 2,759 Residents
Latest Member: jllybrns01
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2018, 06:45:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Login Register
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Holiday Forum (Moderator: Meryl)  |  Topic: International Talk Like A Pirate Day 0 Residents and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: International Talk Like A Pirate Day  (Read 12065 times)
Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator
The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 10:55:19 am »

Blimey! This is a photo of Castle Stalker which is re-christened Castle AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH for TLAPD!!

May 2018 be better for us all.
Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 11:59:01 am »

R. was telling me about how many pirates were gay and it was like a fellowship. I'm going to look up the show Black Sails, which is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island, written by my ancestor R. L. Stevenson, and is an adult telling of a pirate story.

Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

"Tom Cody. Pleased to meet ya."

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 12:17:50 pm »

R. was telling me about how many pirates were gay and it was like a fellowship. I'm going to look up the show Black Sails, which is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island, written by my ancestor R. L. Stevenson, and is an adult telling of a pirate story.

For  the real story: Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition, by B.R. Burg.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
CellarDweller

A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »

Not to rain on the parade of the pirate talkers, but it's believed pirates didn't talk the way we think they did.   At least that's what I heard on the radio on the way to work today.  I decided to do a quick google search, and found a site that confirmed what the radio DJs said.

laugh

Apparently there's not a lot of written records from pirates, and it's believed that pirates spoke exactly the same as English-speaking merchant sailors of the time, since large numbers in both groups tended to be from riverfront neighborhoods around London.

Many of the phrases that most people think of as pirate speech today can actually be traced back to the 1950s Disney movie Treasure Island, starring Robert Newton as fictional pirate Long John Silver.

"Newton's performance—full of 'arrs,' 'shiver me timbers,' and references to landlubbers—not only stole the show, it permanently shaped pop culture's vision of how pirates looked, acted, and spoke," Woodard said.

"Afterwards, Newtonesque pirates were everywhere, from Captain Hook to Captain McCallister of the Simpsons series."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120919-talk-like-a-pirate-day-news-history/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!
Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

"Tom Cody. Pleased to meet ya."

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:34 pm »

Not to rain on the parade of the pirate talkers, but it's believed pirates didn't talk the way we think they did.   At least that's what I heard on the radio on the way to work today.  I decided to do a quick google search, and found a site that confirmed what the radio DJs said.

laugh

Apparently there's not a lot of written records from pirates, and it's believed that pirates spoke exactly the same as English-speaking merchant sailors of the time, since large numbers in both groups tended to be from riverfront neighborhoods around London.

Many of the phrases that most people think of as pirate speech today can actually be traced back to the 1950s Disney movie Treasure Island, starring Robert Newton as fictional pirate Long John Silver.

"Newton's performance—full of 'arrs,' 'shiver me timbers,' and references to landlubbers—not only stole the show, it permanently shaped pop culture's vision of how pirates looked, acted, and spoke," Woodard said.

"Afterwards, Newtonesque pirates were everywhere, from Captain Hook to Captain McCallister of the Simpsons series."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120919-talk-like-a-pirate-day-news-history/

Earlier today I found an old HuffPost article that said it went back even farther than Newton, to a 1934 film of Treasure Island, where Lionel Barrymore (who did not play Long John Silver) said "Aaargh."

Newton's performance certainly "popularized" it.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
serious crayons
BetterMost Moderator

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:30 pm »

[Somali accent] I am de captain now.

Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:25 am »

[Somali accent] I am de captain now.

laugh
I watched Black Sails tonight while babysitting. Terrible! So many women. . .there weren't that many women around during pirating days. You're right about the accents, Chuck, if this series is authentic. Which it can not possibly be, since almost all the pirates had blue eyes and perfect teeth.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All Go Up Print 
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Holiday Forum (Moderator: Meryl)  |  Topic: International Talk Like A Pirate Day « previous next »
Jump to:  

Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1
Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1

Help keep this site operating by donating.

Web bettermost.net
Image courtesy of 'AuroraLucis'

No more beans.  I'm sick of beans.