Author Topic: International Talk Like A Pirate Day  (Read 52544 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: International Talk Like A Pirate Day
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 10:55:19 am »
Blimey! This is a photo of Castle Stalker which is re-christened Castle AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH for TLAPD!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 11:59:01 am »
R. was telling me about how many pirates were gay and it was like a fellowship. I'm going to look up the show Black Sails, which is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island, written by my ancestor R. L. Stevenson, and is an adult telling of a pirate story.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 12:17:50 pm »
R. was telling me about how many pirates were gay and it was like a fellowship. I'm going to look up the show Black Sails, which is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island, written by my ancestor R. L. Stevenson, and is an adult telling of a pirate story.

For  the real story: Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition, by B.R. Burg.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »

Not to rain on the parade of the pirate talkers, but it's believed pirates didn't talk the way we think they did.   At least that's what I heard on the radio on the way to work today.  I decided to do a quick google search, and found a site that confirmed what the radio DJs said.

:laugh:

Apparently there's not a lot of written records from pirates, and it's believed that pirates spoke exactly the same as English-speaking merchant sailors of the time, since large numbers in both groups tended to be from riverfront neighborhoods around London.

Many of the phrases that most people think of as pirate speech today can actually be traced back to the 1950s Disney movie Treasure Island, starring Robert Newton as fictional pirate Long John Silver.

"Newton's performance—full of 'arrs,' 'shiver me timbers,' and references to landlubbers—not only stole the show, it permanently shaped pop culture's vision of how pirates looked, acted, and spoke," Woodard said.

"Afterwards, Newtonesque pirates were everywhere, from Captain Hook to Captain McCallister of the Simpsons series."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120919-talk-like-a-pirate-day-news-history/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:34 pm »
Not to rain on the parade of the pirate talkers, but it's believed pirates didn't talk the way we think they did.   At least that's what I heard on the radio on the way to work today.  I decided to do a quick google search, and found a site that confirmed what the radio DJs said.

Apparently there's not a lot of written records from pirates, and it's believed that pirates spoke exactly the same as English-speaking merchant sailors of the time, since large numbers in both groups tended to be from riverfront neighborhoods around London.

Many of the phrases that most people think of as pirate speech today can actually be traced back to the 1950s Disney movie Treasure Island, starring Robert Newton as fictional pirate Long John Silver.

"Newton's performance—full of 'arrs,' 'shiver me timbers,' and references to landlubbers—not only stole the show, it permanently shaped pop culture's vision of how pirates looked, acted, and spoke," Woodard said.

"Afterwards, Newtonesque pirates were everywhere, from Captain Hook to Captain McCallister of the Simpsons series."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120919-talk-like-a-pirate-day-news-history/

Earlier today I found an old HuffPost article that said it went back even farther than Newton, to a 1934 film of Treasure Island, where Lionel Barrymore (who did not play Long John Silver) said "Aaargh."

Newton's performance certainly "popularized" it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:30 pm »
[Somali accent] I am de captain now.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:25 am »
[Somali accent] I am de captain now.

I watched Black Sails tonight while babysitting. Terrible! So many women. . .there weren't that many women around during pirating days. You're right about the accents, Chuck, if this series is authentic. Which it can not possibly be, since almost all the pirates had blue eyes and perfect teeth.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2019, 11:37:10 am »
Aaaargh! I was just reminded by a coworker that today is the day: International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Shiver me timbers! How could I have forgotten?!  :o  Aaaargh!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2019, 12:07:37 pm »
Surprisingly, I didn't see any posts about this at all on FB this year.  Usually I see at least a few.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2019, 07:58:39 pm »
Surprisingly, I didn't see any posts about this at all on FB this year.  Usually I see at least a few.

Aaargh!  :laugh: