Author Topic: Privacy feature  (Read 14777 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: Privacy feature
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 01:38:59 am »
Well, thanks Paul, I appreciate it.  I was thinking about the same thing you asked, about how to integrate the different groups more. 

I've been so into this flurry of activity in the Tremblay section that I've been checking the other sections less.  So I made an effort to look around today, and I noticed some posts about "all these new people".  One thing that strikes me, and Phillip might correct me on this, is that with the arrival of the Trembleyans, you all are probably in the majority now.  If not, that's the impression I get, so it may be a little daunting for Bettermost regulars to pop into Chez Tremblay.  I don't know what made me saunter over, I can be pretty shy.  But I was like, oh wow, all these new people!  All these new threads!

I think it's a process of sort of cross-pollination.  There are a lot of really nice Bettermost folks to get to know, good people, like there are in here.  I hope more of them check out these threads, and that yall check out the other sections and contribute.  Posting some threads saying, hey! Check out such-and-such thread in Now What? or Safe Haven and vice versa.  Maybe the moderators would be in charge of doing that.  I'll make more of an effort to encourage them to come over and say wassup more. 

And thanks for the PM, I replied before I finished this...sort of like time travel huh?

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
drunken volleyball!

er...oops, wrong place!

;D
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 01:47:30 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

David AKA StudDuck is one of the nicest most polite young men, like, ever?

You must luvvvvvvvvvvvv him and want to have 10,000 of his babies... (kidding! hehehe, that one's for David... name that movie!!)

To help set the record straight:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me, even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.

2) He has a real thing for Julie Walters, AKA Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, and that is just self-explanatory.

3) He has tapes of very rare stuff by Stanley Kubrick that he won't even watch out of respect for the man (since it's stuff Stanley himself didn't like).  I mean, come on, the guy's, you know, not around much anymore?  What's he gonna know?

4) He torched the great Alfred Hitchcock's greater 'Rebecca' in a plus or minus game (just to spite me, I'm pretty sure) and he hasn't EVEN SEEN IT.

5) He thinks 'Good Will Hunting' is a really good movie!!  And I have it on good word that he's seen 'Back To The Future' 600 times!!  (Well, those are more of a sanity issue than anything else...)

In the name of a fair and balanced report,

Spookily Yours...   ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:24:28 pm by Spooky_Rabbit »
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 01:52:05 am »
drunken volleyball!

er...oops, wrong place!

;D

LOL, you blowing up my spot already?  Not that I would play volleyball while drunk, too dangerous.   ;)

Juan
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:54:21 am by JCinNYC2006 »
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

TheStudDuck

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:31 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

I'll buy that.  :angel:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me
Only because you provoke me.

even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.
Ghost, in terms of quality, is not a great film.  It's so 1990 with its cheesy visual effects and its insistance on the fact that anyone could love Patrick Swayze to the point of tears.  You conveniently left out the fact that I said I thoroughly enjoyed it and that I thought it was well-written.

2) He has a real thing for Julie Walters, AKA Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, and that is just self-explanatory.
It's true.  But you make it sound like I have a thing for Julie Walters as Mrs. Weasley (which is somewhat true, but not entirely)... my love for her comes from the film Billy Elliot.  See it and you shall understand.  She is a goddess.

3) He has tapes of very rare stuff by Stanley Kubrick that he won't even watch out of respect for the man (since it's stuff Stanley himself didn't like).  I mean, come on, the guy's, you know, not around much anymore?  What's he gonna know?
I do own the first four Stanley Kubrick films which are very rare and he spent years trying to destroy.  Out of my respect for him, I am honoring his wishes that no one see them by letting them stay unwatched in my collection.  Got a problem with it?

4) He torched the great Alfred Hitchcock's greater 'Rebecca' in a plus or minus game (just to spite me, I'm pretty sure) and he hasn't EVEN SEEN IT.
It was a game.  You want to cry some more?

5) He thinks 'Good Will Hunting' is a really good movie!!  And I have it on good word that he's seen 'Back To The Future' 600 times!!  (Well, those are more of a sanity issue than anything else...)
False, I said Good Will Hunting is a great movie.  And if you don't think so, then something is wrong with you (and I'd use the F-word in that sentence if I thought it wouldn't offend anyone).  And 600 is a very modest number... I said I've seen Back to the Future at least 600 times.  The minimum.

What is this the National Enquirer?  Am I having my secrets outed?  All of them?  How fair is this?  (I must admit that I was laughing hysterically reading them... I'm not ashamed... I love Julie Walters... I also love Meryl Streep... who cares?)

David
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:08:41 am by TheStudDuck »

vkm91941

Well in solidarity with the duck and no offfense to anyone else
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 05:51:50 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

I'll buy that.  :angel:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me
Only because you provoke me.

even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.
Ghost, in terms of quality, is not a great film.  It's so 1990 with its cheesy visual effects and its insistance on the fact that anyone could love Patrick Swayze to the point of tears.  You conveniently left out the fact that I said I thoroughly enjoyed it and that I thought it was well-written.

It's true.  But you make it sound like I have a thing for Julie Walters as Mrs. Weasley (which is somewhat true, but not entirely)... my love for her comes from the film Billy Elliot.  See it and you shall understand.  She is a goddess.

I do own the first four Stanley Kubrick films which are very rare and he spent years trying to destroy.  Out of my respect for him, I am honoring his wishes that no one see them by letting them stay unwatched in my collection.  Got a problem with it?

It was a game.  You want to cry some more?

False, I said Good Will Hunting is a great movie.  And if you don't think so, then something is wrong with you (and I'd use the F-word in that sentence if I thought it wouldn't offend anyone).  And 600 is a very modest number... I said I've seen Back to the Future at least 600 times.  The minimum.

What is this the National Enquirer?  Am I having my secrets outed?  All of them?  How fair is this?  (I must admit that I was laughing hysterically reading them... I'm not ashamed... I love Julie Walters... I also love Meryl Streep... who cares?)

David

As the subject line says I am posting in solidarity with Studly the Duck!

1. David is a darling as are all the young men on this board...and the old ones too...nuff said :-*
2. Ghost is in my opinion not a GREAT film, it was a good film in it's day and I really liked it , but it has not stood the test of time ::)
3. Julie  Walters is a fine actress with an impressive filmography, don't diss the woman just because Molly Weasley is a frump.  I like Molly Weasley, she reminds me of my own Mum, god rest her.  And Billy Elliot is one of the top 5 films of the last 10 years! If you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and rent it! :)
4. Well studly your on your own on Kubrick, I personally just don't get the guy. :-\
5. It was a game, he played agressively, get over it. :o
6. Good Will Hunting is a very good film.  Robin Williams and Minnie Driver  give a brillant performances in it.  Matt Damon is good, Ben Affleck is plastic and uninspiring. ;)
7. Well I don't know how many times I've seen Back to the Future, but it's alot becuase I have kids and it's a good film for kids.  It's creative, uplifiting and funny.  Just the kind of thing you watch when your spirits are low.  I personally watch Strictly Ballroom on those days but to each his own. ;)

How well would any of our personal qwerks stand up to this kind of scrunity and teasing. :-[  Careful it almost could go to far and smell of pettiness and meaness :'(.  JMO
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:05:12 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 07:19:45 am »
Montferrat,   Can I offer you a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea?  Back rub?  I'm good at backrubs.

HEY HEY!   Watch those hands young lady!!!!

and I can't even use the spunk word without being called a "Perv" by Paul!!   LOL

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2006, 08:50:50 am »
Most people have the utmost faith in Phillip to be able to deal with people who use the hidden feature abusively.  Hopefully there won't be much need for him to even have to deal with trolls.  On another level, though, it seems like there's other stuff brewing within the Tremplay group, and resulting from their move to Bettermost.  (I'm a social worker so I sometimes look at stuff like that from the perspective of group dynamics).

A social worker... oh gosh... I am putting your name down as future moderator material.   ;D

So it's not just about privacy issues.  Groups that are uprooted and then find themselves becoming part of a larger group go through that kind of transition, and unfortunately sometimes it's too much for some in the group.  To me, some of these growing pains are normal for what they're going through.  That's my .02 cents, with interest.

Part of this may also be the fact with no common enemy trolls to band people together, tensions between individuals can more readily surface.  I participate on a number of different forums, some of which debate, ohmygod, politics.  I am often in places where there are two liberals (me and one other) against a whole mess of conservatives and the fact that think we are clueless, and we think they are soaking, like Madge, in the talking points, rapidly causes all sorts of tensions.  But I never forget what is written on a message forum is not to be taken so seriously that it should be allowed to bug you all day.  I've often met some of my opponents and it turns out we get along just fine in person, and 75% of what gets written online is never spoken to someone's face, and we treat it more as a debate about ideas and not about each other's merits as individuals.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and people can disagree with it, but should never be offended just because someone doesn't agree.  And those that disagree should not judge the whole person because of one opinion they hold, even if they do like Pauly Shore movies.  Oh my... I am writing like Donald Rumsfeld now... and I think he said it best when he said, "I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."  You know?  ;D

I find this to be a pretty great group of people: supportive, funny, thoughtful, passionate, and, as evident from the 'what-do-we-look-like' thread, sexy.  I find it all very exciting, spunk talk included, LOL, and hope to get to know folks even more.

I agree.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2006, 09:06:40 am »
ooooohhh.... I just love it when I start a thread that has everyone jumping in with their two-bits worth! 

First of all, thanks Phillip for being so wonderful and allowing us here in a safe place. You really are kind.

Second, I really should not have assumed you were all big L Liberals.  I was impulsive and not thinking things through. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Third, "Ghost" was a good movie only because Demi More's haircut ROCKED!

Fourth, JCinNYC2006 Rocks too!

Fifth, yes, I have Jake's hat AND a couple of the shirts he and Heath wore in the film.  When I saw the movie I turned to the woman I was sitting with and said, "Hey! That's Pierre's shirt!"  How's that for perspective?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 09:46:31 am »
Fifth, yes, I have Jake's hat AND a couple of the shirts he and Heath wore in the film.  When I saw the movie I turned to the woman I was sitting with and said, "Hey! That's Pierre's shirt!"  How's that for perspective?

And if you were to put them on eBay, you could buy a new car, furniture, home, small island in the Pacific....   ;D
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming