Author Topic: Top 100 baby names 2005 (in U.S.)  (Read 10639 times)

moremojo

Re: Top 100 baby names 2005 (in U.S.)
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 01:35:33 pm »
Leslie,

My mother, a retired teacher, once had a male student named Colin, but whose name was pronounced by his parents as "colon". She came across her share of unusual names, one of the most distinctive being Misruthie (pronounced "Miss Ruthie"), belonging to a little girl.

Addressing the vagaries of last names, my sister, who is currently a teacher, has had a student of Vietnamese origin, whose surname is Phuc. She was told that the original Vietnamese pronuncation rhymes with the English word "luck", but the family, after settling in the U.S., modified the pronunciation to sound like "fook".

Edit: Correction of a minor typo and slight amendment of a word for more accurate and elegant text.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:57:31 pm by moremojo »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39:20 pm »
True story:

I had a patient once who wanted to name her baby "Placenta." She heard the word in the delivery room and thought it was "pretty." I talked her out of it.

I had another patient who told me that her baby's name was "Female" (with the emphasis on the middle syllable fee-MA-lay). I asked why and she said, "The nurses in the nursery named her. It's on the card on her crib." We came up with another option for that baby, too.

Leslie

What's the matter with Fe-MAH-lay?  :laugh:

I had a friend whose mother was raised in a small town in Tennessee. She insisted that when she was a girl, a neighbor gave birth to a baby girl and wanted to name the child Vagina because she thought it sounded pretty. I don't know how that situation was resolved.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 05:45:08 pm »
My Mum had a kid in her nursery class (she was a nursery nurse before she retired) His name was Dwayne.

He had been named by Mr&Mrs Pipe.

:o
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Dafna

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 06:40:57 pm »
I have never had children but names still fascinate me to the point where I have 3 baby name books. A regular one, international baby names and Hebrew baby names. I have a list of names for future pets.

I hate my given name. Had I been a male, I would have been named "Seth" #88. I like the name but perhaps I would not if it were actually my name.

Names are very, very important I think to a person's identity. But how can parents ever really predict if a child will like the name.  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 07:07:04 pm »
My Mum had a kid in her nursery class (she was a nursery nurse before she retired) His name was Dwayne.

He had been named by Mr&Mrs Pipe.

:o

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 08:03:52 pm »
In my business, I've run across strange names:

Ms. Couch, that's Ms. Velvet Couch
Mr. and Mrs. Schmuck  (lived in Jersey)
Napoleon Bonapart Jones, III (the strange thing isn't the name, it's the fact that many men were named this)
Ms. S'Phyllis (yes, it's what you think)

injest

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 10:21:51 am »
ok  redneck that I am...I have a set of Uncles named Man and Boy...

and here in Texas we had a Governor named Hogg...named his only daughter Ima...

she kept the name her whole life and became a famous philanthropist..

http://www.famoustexans.com/imahogg.htm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:24:56 am by injest »

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 07:52:19 pm »

Talk about hating your name, my mother's maternal grandfather, my great-grandfather, who died in his 90th year ten years before I was born, was named William Hiram Bailey.

That's right. ... Bill Bailey!

I always have a giggle over another 'Bill Bailey'--  Guns 'N Roses' Axl Rose!  I never knew that was his name until my MOM told me--  she is/was (not sure if they are still around) friends with his parents, and Mom still refers to him as 'Bill'.  I get an even bigger laugh when I hear my 85 year old Mom say the name 'Axl'  :laugh: .
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."