Author Topic: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara  (Read 71040 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: We've never had a thread about Easter dinner, or Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2022, 08:42:30 pm »
It will be the Full Worm Moon this weekend. With the return of the worms comes the return of the robins. And I saw one today!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2022, 12:58:32 pm »
It will be the Full Worm Moon this weekend. With the return of the worms comes the return of the robins. And I saw one today!

I wondered for a moment. (Our) robins are sedenatary birds. But then I rememered the American robin is a totally different bird, not even closely related to our European robin, and way bigger.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2022, 01:12:22 pm »

I wondered for a moment. (Our) robins are sedenatary birds. But then I rememered the American robin is a totally different bird, not even closely related to our European robin, and way bigger.

Thanks to climate change, some of our robins now "winter over." They no longer migrate south for the winter. The same thing has happened with our native wild geese. Many now live in our area permanently and do not migrate south for the winter.

I remember when I was a child, one of the sights and sounds of the fall was a V-shaped flock of geese audibly honking as they flew headed due south for the winter. Sometimes at night it would be too dark to see the flock, but you could hear them honking,
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2022, 04:50:35 pm »
I was reading in the Farmers Almanac about how the date of Easter is calculated. So complicated! So the full moon of tomorrow is called the Lenten Moon, and the one in April will be the Pascal Moon.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:38 pm »

Oh, are the Robins out and about?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2022, 01:48:08 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: yeah, they're all over the place!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2022, 06:18:17 am »
Thanks to climate change, some of our robins now "winter over." They no longer migrate south for the winter. The same thing has happened with our native wild geese. Many now live in our area permanently and do not migrate south for the winter.

I remember when I was a child, one of the sights and sounds of the fall was a V-shaped flock of geese audibly honking as they flew headed due south for the winter. Sometimes at night it would be too dark to see the flock, but you could hear them honking,

Yes, same here, more and more birds either don't migrate anymore or migrate shorter distances than they used to.

Fun fact: already way back in the 70-ies we had a population of sedentary storks neary. In Mannheim there's a big botanical garden and the many glass houses emit enough warmth for storks to stay year-round. Apparently there's also enough food for them in winter.

I like when you hear the migrating geese in the night, but can't see them. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2022, 09:03:03 am »
Fun fact: already way back in the 70-ies we had a population of sedentary storks neary. In Mannheim there's a big botanical garden and the many glass houses emit enough warmth for storks to stay year-round. Apparently there's also enough food for them in winter.

There is a nature preserve in the north end of the county where I grew up. It has a big lake, and in the fall thousands of migrating waterfowl would stop there for a rest. It used to be a big deal in the fall to go to see the birds. It was really nice to see these flocks of wild birds against a backdrop of trees in their autumn colors.  :)

Now in some places there are so many geese they've actually become a pest.  :(  Apparently they can also pose a hazard. We have highway signs with the image of a goose on it.   :laugh:  (That seems funny, but perhaps the thinking is that some motorist might swerve into on-coming traffic while trying to avoid geese crossing the road.)

I like when you hear the migrating geese in the night, but can't see them. :)

Isn't that nice?  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2022, 04:17:36 pm »
Happy Spring! Apparently the Equinox was yesterday. It was in the 60s here but today it's snowing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2022, 11:24:26 am »
Oh, I forgot to observe the equinox on the day it happened! Yesterday was in the mid-60s and sunny here. Today the high is 46 and it's supposed to rain all day into tomorrow, when it will turn into snow and the high will be 39.

March.  >:(