Author Topic: Thank you for the years of joy you brought to Janice  (Read 25154 times)

Offline hardrockposer87

• Don't Say Much
Thank you for the years of joy you brought to Janice
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:56:10 pm »
Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but my grandma Janice (sn: ifyoucantfixit) passed away this evening while in hospice care. She had a lot of battles to fight, and left surrounded by those she loved, and who loved her in return.

I wanted to say thank you to this forum, for giving her such pasion and drive for the past few years. She loved you guys so much and would talk about you always.

Thank you,
Tiffany
Granddaughter of Janice Dodd

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Thank you for the years of joy you brought to Janice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36:22 am »
Oh no. :'(

Dear Janice, the little sheep you gave me is still siting on my desk and I'm looking at it right now. We mentioned you in a conversation on FB only yesterday, when we were talking about our big gathering over memorial day in Colorado and Wyoming seven years ago.
I remember that you slipped on the way up on Brokenback and how you refused anybody to help you up. You were determined to make it on your own, and you did! I remember you and me talking while sitting on the mountaintop in the fading evening light. It was a special moment. I liked the way you called some of us 'kiddo' - it was warm and well-meaning and it felt good to be called kiddo with my 46 years.

Rest in peace, Janice. I will miss you.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:44:35 am »
Dear Tiffany,
thank you for thinking of us in the time of your own grief and for letting us know. I am very sorry for your loss and my thoughts and sincere condolences go out to you and your whole family.
Chrissi

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:53:09 am »
Tiffany, so sorry for your loss and thank you for letting us know.

Chrissi, I was thinking of that exact time, on Brokenback, when Janice showed such determination in reaching the summit.  

I think she delighted in the fact that some of her "boys" (I'm particularly thinking of Rich) called her "Mama".

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:53 am »
Another Brokie gone...  :(

Tiffany, my sincere condolences to you and your family, and thank you for letting us know.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:33:26 am »
Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear that your grandma has passed away. She and I were in the same vehicle for the one-night "road-trip" to Wyoming in 2007, and I will always remember her kindness, good humor, and common sense, both on that trip and on this forum.

I'm so glad to know that she was surrounded by her loved ones when the time came for her to leave us.

This is very sad news. My heartfelt condolences to you and to all Janice's family and loved ones.

Thank you for letting us know.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:42:44 am »
It was our pleasure and honor to know our beloved friend Janice. I carry the little sterling silver horse charm she gave me in a little silk bag in my car for good luck. Even years after we saw each other at the rodeo in San Francisco, she gave me good advice and listened to my sorrows. Thank you, Tiffany. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family and may she rest in peace.  :-*

Mama and Rich are together now...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:54:13 am »
Tiffany, I'm so sorry for your loss, and thank you so much for coming here to let us know. That is a really thoughtful thing to do, and I know your grandmother would be grateful.

I have many fond memories of Janice, in person and online. She was a great contributor to this site, a passionate commenter and a very sweet person.

:'(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:32:20 am »
I recall that Janice made our 500,000th post here.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 01:05:29 pm »
The last time I spoke with Janice was on 31 July 2010, the day of Rich's passing, I called to tell her. You see people on facebook and it is like your interacting with them. I had wondered for a year or so now how she was.

I met Janice at that screaming dance club place in San Francisco when we all gathered there in 2007. HerrKaiser had dropped me off after having dinner with him and Essefjoe and his partner. She was taking it all in and holding court. Later that night she and her daughter in law Michelle went with us to Mel's Diner for a late night meal. It was quite hilarious. I think we were all keeping an eye on Rich, who was pa-looted.

Janice was deeply effected by the death of her brother, Weldon Culliton, several years ago now. Brokeback brought her a measure of solace, being able to connect with members of our community helped her understand, gave her a place to discuss the particular kind of grief she felt. She lived a good life. A long and strong one. Her family all over will call her name for many years to come.

The last time I saw her she and Michelle and Lynne, hair plaited, were headed off into the night, back to the real world. We meet in that place suspended above everyday concerns, we live our real lives as best we can.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."