Author Topic: How do you pronounce Gyllenhaal...  (Read 26312 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
How do you pronounce Gyllenhaal...
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:52 pm »
Just read an article on pronounciation of some celebrity names......and this is what Jake says......

Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal

We're all getting it wrong! Jake has previously said the only places where people get his Swedish name right are "Sweden and IKEA". It's pronounced "Yill-uhn-hawl". No G!

http://celebrities.ninemsn.com.au/slideshowajax/441817/most-mispronounced-celebrity-names-and-how-to-say-them-right.slideshow
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: How do you pronounce Gyllenhaal...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:56:34 pm »
I never knew that!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:46:17 pm »
Just read an article on pronounciation of some celebrity names......and this is what Jake says......

Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal

We're all getting it wrong! Jake has previously said the only places where people get his Swedish name right are "Sweden and IKEA". It's pronounced "Yill-uhn-hawl". No G!

Leave it to English-speaking Americans. ...  :laugh:

So the "G" is pronounced like an English "Y," sort of like the "J" in German.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
Oh its Swedish. I thought it was Dutch.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:13:57 am »

Spanish is the opposite.  I have a friend named Yahaira.  For the longest time I've called her "yah Hi rah".....I later found the "y" is pronounced like a J, so it should be "Jah Hi Rah".

I once worked with a young woman who was Indian, and her name was Yojana and everyone pronounced it Yo Jah Nah.  One day I picked up an office phone call, and it was her mother calling for her.  When her mother said her name, was when I learned the correct pronunciation was "Yoj Nah".

People just need to correct someone when a mispronunciation is made.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:18:13 am »
If you could record a sample on Bettermost. I would, so you could know how it sounds like. Sense that not possible...you just haft to trust me Gyllenhaal sounds soooo much better in English then Swedish. I would describe the Swedish pronunciation as very high pitched with a upper class clarity.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:13:04 pm by Sophia »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:51:18 am »

Exactly. At least in this case, but not in all words.

And the 'y' isn't prounounced like an English 'i', but rather like a German 'ü', only more pointed.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:10:43 pm »
Well lets all be thankful, that Heath didn't stand at the top of some stairs, and yell........JAKE F***ING GYLLENHAAL...... ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:09:49 pm »
I know some people that would have loved to see that!

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 05:19:15 pm »
Let´s forget his name for a while and focus on his upcoming event! Tickets are for sale TOMORROW!!!!

Single tickets are on sale tomorrow at noon for Manhattan Theatre Club’s upcoming Broadway productions of Constellations, the acclaimed new play by Nick Payne, directed by Michael Longhurst, starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

Tickets will be available by calling Telecharge at 212-239-6200, online by visiting www.Telecharge.com, or by visiting the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre Box Office (261 West 47th Street). Ticket prices are $67 – $140.

This winter, Manhattan Theatre Club and the Royal Court Theatre, by special arrangement with Ambassador Theatre Group and the Dodgers, will produce Constellations in a strictly limited 13-week engagement.

Previews begin Tuesday, December 16, 2014 for a Tuesday, January 13, 2015 opening night at MTC’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre (261 West 47th Street).

Oscar nominee Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain, Proof) makes his MTC and Broadway debuts in the first American production of Constellations, a new play by Nick Payne (If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet), which premiered at London’s Royal Court Theatre to tremendous acclaim. Michael Longhurst (If There Is…) directs.

This mind-bending, romantic journey begins with a simple encounter between a man and a woman. But what happens next defies the boundaries of the world we think we know – delving into the infinite possibilities of their relationship and raising questions about the difference between choice and destiny.

Production support for Constellations is provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation as part of the MTC/Sloan Science Theatre Initiative. For more information on the foundation, visit: www.sloan.org

Subscriptions for MTC’s 2014-2015 season are available by calling (212) 399-3050 (Monday through Friday NOON – 9 PM, Saturday 10 AM – 3 PM) or online at www.ManhattanTheatreClub.com.