Author Topic: 'Gay Curer' Psychologist Claims Africans 'Better Off' As Slaves  (Read 10802 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: 'Gay Curer' Psychologist Claims Africans 'Better Off' As Slaves
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 07:53:39 pm »
Bishop (ret.) Shelby Spong said in A New Christianity For a New World that over the centuries Christianity developed a truly repellent obsession with not only suffering but blood. He cited some hymns in particular that he just couldn't stomach, such as "There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood."

Add that to the disdain for physical matters in general, and you have a pretty good rationale for the abuse of the environment, although that's changing a bit in religious circles, very recently.

Well said.  A friend of mine left the Catholic Church because after a while, she could no longer stand the sight of a carved, larger than life, lovingly painted with true life colors near dead corpse hanging on a ancient world torture device over the altar, staring at her.

She thought it sick, unnerving and masochistic.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 10:41:05 pm »
the leaders were not Rhodes scholars...so maybe they were confused.

Yes, they were confused, and it isn't a matter of interpretation.

Here's a summary of Pentecost, from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost

The origins of Pentecost are found in the Jewish holiday of Shavuot, which occurs on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan (corresponding to late May/early June). It marks the conclusion of the Counting of the Omer and the day the Torah was given at Mount Sinai. This feast provides closure for the festival activities during and following the holiday of Passover.  In ancient times, the grain harvest lasted seven weeks and was a season of gladness. It began with the offering of the barley during Passover and ended with the offering of the wheat at Shavuot. Thus Shavuot was also the concluding festival of the grain harvest. As part of the Festival of First Fruits, the Hebrews would offer grain, bread or the first ripened fruits at the temple. . . .

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. (Acts 2:1-4) "

Pentecost is also known in English, especially in Britain, as Whitsun (Whitsunday), from the Old English.  Not only Pentecostal Christian churches celebrate the day of Pentecost. In the Roman Catholic Church, its Eastern Rites and Anglican churches, the feast of Pentecost Sunday is celebrated with the rank of a Solemnity (the highest liturgical rank for any feast). Most Christians recognise the event of Pentecost as 'the birth of the Church' (the moment when its foundation was completed).

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 10:43:31 pm »
now...what is this "holy spirit" you speak of?? You heathen!!

*GASP*

You are one of them Holy Trinity-ers!! Aren't you!!

*Jess holding up her fingers in the sign of a cross*

GET THEE BEHIND ME!!!

Actually, I'm a panentheist. Not to be confused with pantheism.  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 01:07:06 am »
which proves the point I am trying to make...(badly..LOL) that ANYONE can set themselves up as a preacher...no matter how ignorant or downright evil they are..and if they can browbeat enough people to listen to them and raise their kids under their tutelage..well we see everyday what it brings.

and not to argue with you but EVERYTHING that has to do with religion is open to interpretation...that is the whole point of faith...you can't PROVE it.

if you are taught certain things then you have to make a conscious effort to change...most people won't...

example...my mother's church has a huge mural of the garden of eden...with a ray of light coming from Heaven illuminating a KING JAMES BIBLE...so they believe COMPLETELY that in fact, God wrote the Bible, he wrote it in ENGLISH...and the world is only a few thousand years old.

you can talk facts and science til the cows come home...you can quote learned Bible scholars...they won't believe you. Because they have been taught since childhood that the Devil will send people like you to lie and decieve them.

There were never Dinosaurs...no wooly mammoths, no cave men, we did not go to the moon and Jews are the original liars.

Do not underestimate the willingness of the ignorant to STAY ignorant.

These types of people are so dangerous...trouble is, most of them have never read their own bible.  You quote to them from the bible of stupid, contradictory or horrific things said and done and they don't believe you.  You give them chapter and verse and they won't even crack their own bible to check it out.  Ruins their idea of what they think their religion is all about, so they prefer to stick their heads in the sand.

Sad, pathetic and dangerous.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 01:42:07 am »
I can't believe I missed this thread. I just now noticed it.

This is disgusting. How can people possibly be thinking like this, in 2006?

You know what? Gay people have a LOOOOOOOOONG way to go if some in this country are still thinking like this.

How can ANYONE say someone would be better off as a slave?

This makes me sick.  :P   >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 02:20:51 am »
LOL!!

Do you know what panentheism is?

injest

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 07:34:20 am »
Do you know what panentheism is?

no Marge I am an idiot. Please accept my apology, I won't post in here anymore. Maybe I can find some thread for dummies.

injest

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 08:35:41 am »
and this particular comment was directed to Lynne and meant to be funny...it obviously wasn't and I am sorry I posted it. Please accept my apology.

*GASP*

GET THEE BEHIND ME!!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 08:48:08 am »
and this particular comment was directed to Lynne and meant to be funny...it obviously wasn't and I am sorry I posted it. Please accept my apology.

*GASP*

GET THEE BEHIND ME!!!

((((Jess))))

:D

You have nothing to fear from me...I'm either agnostic or atheist depending on the mood of the day ;)  I got your joke, sweetie...my apologies for the belated reply...go check my blog and give me some input on my letter-to-the-editor...I've just been tilting at a different windmill for a coupla days.

:D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 09:35:04 am »
no Marge I am an idiot. Please accept my apology, I won't post in here anymore. Maybe I can find some thread for dummies.

I assume that was intended to be sarcastic, but in the remote event that someone here is actually interested, there are a number of Internet sites about panentheism. Two of them:

http://www.websyte.com/alan/under.htm

http://www.cliftonunitarian.com/toddstalks/greeningofgod.htm

Generally, panentheism teaches that wholes are greater than the sums of their parts but that those parts retain their essential nature. In human religion, that translates into a belief that we are all part of God, but that retain our individual souls and are never just absorbed into some monistic Whole after death. It doesn't specifically teach reincarnation but is consistent with it, and implies that all of the Universe is meaningful and value-producing - and therefore everything has a certain holiness. A long way from a belief in divine human sacrifice, an ego-obssessed god who creates human beings imperfect and then despises them for it, or the aforementioned fountains filled with blood.