Author Topic: People hate this movie...  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: People hate this movie...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 07:00:32 pm »
I love that phrase "non-believers", 'cos that's how it feels doesn't it. I've waxed lyrical to some friends about the film, but haven't wanted to overdo it because, to be honest, I don't think that everyone has this almost spiritual reaction to it. I mean, it's "just a film". There are film/books/albums that I love, but none has had anything like the effect that this has had on me, but there are people who simply don't feel that connection and it's very hard to explain.

I think I'm rambling now, so I'll stop...

Karen

You know, this is a lot like what those regligious people, that come knocking on your door, trying to convert us to the religion that they have found so life changing to themselves.

I have a better understanding of those people now.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 07:04:40 pm »
I have never considered myself as having a particular, special sense or ability to "see" things that are not obvious to most others. but, I know few people who actually even liked the film, much less are supportive of the depth to which I embrace the story and film.

Interestingly, though, the very first time I screened the film, my reaction was luke warm. In the hours afterward, I thought much about the main theme and a few interesting scenes, and upon such deep thought, decided to screen the film again. The second viewing was like an explosion of meaning that had not emerged as clearly as the first time. My third and subsequent viewings only added to the intense appreciation for all the was BBM.

Most people sample quickly and move on; a film like this needs study, commitment, involvement, and a desire to understand all the nuances and meanings. It is a thinking-persons film; not to denigrate anyone by this point, but most film goers want mindless or semi-mindless entertainment. BBM would not even fall in my category of "entertainment", rather a inner study of human desires and frailties that is often not found outside academic, religious, or spiritualist arenas.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:58:30 pm by HerrKaiser »

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 10:43:00 am »
a film like this needs study, commitment, involvement, and a desire to understand all the nuances and meanings.

Exactly!   And also, as was your experience, HerrKaiser, and mine as well, each time the film is viewed, one often discovers more depth and meaning.  The same thing happens with any great art, with poetry, painting, music, dance etc.  Great art lasts because of how it seems to "give and give us more to understand, appreciate and enjoy" every time we encounter it.

As far as complains about BBM, I don't know about others, but the people who complained about it most to me were all Non Gay/Non Lesbian people.   I have no doubt "family" love this movie like "non family" cannot, which is not to say there aren't heterosexuals who liked it; thought it was brilliant, of course there are, but I haven't met a Gay man or Lesbian yet who doesn't love it.   

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 11:05:11 am »
You know, I've actually canceled my Netflix account partly because of the way they are posting the reviews there.  Those negative reviews were written back in April when it came out on DVD.  Every last one of them.  I know because I wrote a glowing review that I have yet to be able to even find posted there.  I emailed them about it twice and never got a response.  Then I emailed them a third time, threatening to cancel my account.  Nothing.  I almost think the same person or couple of people wrote all those negative reviews, and I'm pretty much convinced that whoever is the administrator(s) there is homophobic and doesn't want to post positive reviews.  At best, they are just like the ones at the IMDb boards - they're not capable and/or don't have time/don't care to fix it.

My other reason for quitting was I just was not getting through the films fast enough to warrant being charged monthly.  As much as I think Blockbuster is the Evil Empire, I'd rather pop in there when the mood strikes me to rent and watch a movie.  So you have to return them within a certain period of time.  Big whoop.  My gym is right next door, so I'm there several days a week anyway.  If I do join up with a mail-in service again, it will be Blockbuster or someone else.  To hell with Netflix.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:13:02 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 11:16:32 am »
Anyway, has anyone else ran into repeated claims by others that this movie "sucks?" Cause of all the people I know who have seen it, 90% of them think it's overrated and alienating.

I work at a fairly liberal company where everyone is (not to sound like a snob, but) well-educated and has a clue.  And I'd say the majority of people I know who've seen it here - I'd guess about 7 out of 10 - loved it.  One woman friend loved it whom I did not expect to - her husband is extremely conservative, they're both into NASCAR, etc.  But she went to college and grew up in an all-liberal family in a blue state (Illinois), so those sensibilities seem to have won out.  And she said, "The men are both so handsome and they have such great chemistry together.  What's not to like?  Oh, the scenery and music were nice, too."  Another one who I thought was fairly liberal hated it because "it was too slow and I couldn't understand what Ennis was saying half the time."   ::)  One gay friend disliked it for the same reason, three others loved it.

As I said in my previous post, I think those posts at Netflix are bogus.  I think they're all written by the same person or couple of people.  They've been there forever, and they never change, no matter how many positive reviews people write.  I wrote one that I've yet to see posted there, and other people at the old PT board did back in April, too.

:P
No more beans!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 11:42:46 am »
Exactly!   And also, as was your experience, HerrKaiser, and mine as well, each time the film is viewed, one often discovers more depth and meaning.  The same thing happens with any great art, with poetry, painting, music, dance etc.  Great art lasts because of how it seems to "give and give us more to understand, appreciate and enjoy" every time we encounter it.

As far as complains about BBM, I don't know about others, but the people who complained about it most to me were all Non Gay/Non Lesbian people.   I have no doubt "family" love this movie like "non family" cannot, which is not to say there aren't heterosexuals who liked it; thought it was brilliant, of course there are, but I haven't met a Gay man or Lesbian yet who doesn't love it.   

Rayn

I agree completely with your analogy to art in that mulitple viewings over decades builds a greater and greater appreciation for a piece as well as creates vast new interpretations to its meaning.

Regarding the types if people who do not like the film, interestingly even here in San Francisco, I have encountered many gay men who fall into that group. What seems to be a common denominator among the "dislikes" group is that they are mostly people in long term, happy relaitionships. What's more, they have much fewer experiences in the trials of lost love situations or the pains of love's tragedies.

Like so many other of life's situations, unless you have "walked in another man's shoes" it is not so easy, and sometimes impossible, to feel and understand and appreciate the depths and heights of their experiences.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 09:18:01 pm »
This is an interesting thread.

I understand and agree that family loves family best, but it gives me pause to wonder anew at my own reasons for loving BBM as powerfully as I do.

I'm straight, female, happily married for 14 years, etc.  All the usual suspects.  In fact each and every one of my friends/relatives who love the movie passionately fall into the same category, more or less.  The only person I know who's not had the reaction I expected them to have (she liked it but didn't love it), is the only one who could be said to have had the "right" sort of experiences to facilitate a strong resonance. 

More and more I'm inclined to think that what ties us to this work of great art is something beyond sexuality and personal experience.  It's something beyond intellect, sensitivity, humour, compassion, and all the other qualities many of you beautiful posters have. 

I have a running joke with a fellow Brokie from Dave Cullen's site to the effect the film is suffused with subliminal messages from the mother ship - calling us home (this is what happens when you cross a Trekkie with a Brokie).  I'm starting to wonder.

Let's assume the netflix party poopers are mere mortals  ;) :P.

W
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:20:38 pm by wolf »

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 09:42:03 pm »
This is an interesting thread. 

More and more I'm inclined to think that what ties us to this work of great art is something beyond sexuality and personal experience.  It's something beyond intellect, sensitivity, humour, compassion, and all the other qualities many of you beautiful posters have. 

yes, true enough. there are simply some events, "things", people in life, etc, that grab some people in a very deep, affecting way, while others have no such feeling having been exposed to the same things. At one BBM outing/event here in San Francisco in June, someone said her husband just "..didn't get it". Much like, in former times, when people would talk about that EST phenomenon; they'd talk about "getting it"; some did, most did not.

I still believe there is a strong, deeply personal link to one aspect of the story or another that people identify that catapults them to the level of commitment we all seem to enjoy. Something about Ennis or something about Jack or their actions, lives, etc, reasonates and touches a nerve with most of the film-lovers on a personal level; doesn't matter male or female. 'that is me, or that was me, or that could have been me, or I wish that was me...' are how those immediately struck seem to create that first link which leads to the level we on this forum have grown to. At least that's how I think my addition happened! Thanks!

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 09:33:22 pm »
I still believe there is a strong, deeply personal link to one aspect of the story or another that people identify that catapults them to the level of commitment we all seem to enjoy. Something about Ennis or something about Jack or their actions, lives, etc, reasonates and touches a nerve with most of the film-lovers on a personal level; doesn't matter male or female. 'that is me, or that was me, or that could have been me, or I wish that was me...' are how those immediately struck seem to create that first link which leads to the level we on this forum have grown to.

you make a good point there, HerrKaiser.  several themes could have been "triggers" for me - my interest in horses, cowboys and mountains for eg.  but while these might provide reason for initial attraction, they don't explain obsession.  many other films combine grand scenery and cowboys, none has thrown me for a life changing loop.  it's the obsession I'm most curious about, since personal experience tells me there's no rhyme or reason discernible to the naked eye, as it were.

I'm almost as  curious about those who don't "get it".  or rather, why they don't get it.  Whenever I come across a lukewarm reaction, I feel like running the individual in question through a series of neurological exams.  Superior?  Moi?  ;D 8) ;D.

W

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 10:39:48 pm »
I'm almost as  curious about those who don't "get it".  or rather, why they don't get it.  Whenever I come across a lukewarm reaction, I feel like running the individual in question through a series of neurological exams.  Superior?  Moi?  ;D 8) ;D.

I think it was Henrypie here who once said she's sure that all those other people really believe that they're the ones who are right, too, but that the difference is she really is.

:)
No more beans!