Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025260 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1400 on: March 07, 2009, 01:14:02 pm »
I'm planning on going to two movies today! A Farewell to Arms and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1401 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »
Aw, that's so thoughtful.  But, I haven't been a small since, well, never.

Well, how about a keyring that plays the sound of terrified horses neighing??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1402 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:34 pm »
Well, how about a keyring that plays the sound of terrified horses neighing??

Frau Blucher!  Perfect!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1403 on: March 09, 2009, 12:19:47 am »

Dog Tags Trailer                                                              (1:22)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcI6Gb2I9P4[/youtube]

Hey there, John!  I rented this at Blockbuster tonight and am looking forward to watching it.

It was kinda funny, because as I was checking out, the clerk asked me if I realized it was a 'gay' film.  I perked up..'Sure!'  Then I went on to tell him that I'm one of Brokeback Mountain's greatest fans, and we chatted about other recent GLBT film releases.  I don't know how I missed this one, but I'll report back.  The clerk hadn't yet seen Prayers for Bobby but heard that Sigourney Weaver had an amazing performance.

Pretty cool, all in all.

P.S.  I was also happy to see it alphabetized in the New Releases section, instead of on some obscure shelf somewhere else... :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1404 on: March 09, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »
That's weird (though not suprising) that an employee of Blockbuster would say that.   :o What section of the section of the store is the film located? Is it in the action section?   I never been to a BLOCKBUSTER that said G/L interest though I've been to one's that say "Community Interest."   

I checked out LARS AND THE REAL GIRL and the clerk at Blockbuster said something about he doesn't rent movies about blowup dolls.   I thought I was going to be watching a FARGO type film and it was nothing of the sort. I still enjoyed it.  ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1405 on: March 09, 2009, 12:44:18 pm »
That's weird (though not suprising) that an employee of Blockbuster would say that.   :o What section of the section of the store is the film located? Is it in the action section?   I never been to a BLOCKBUSTER that said G/L interest though I've been to one's that say "Community Interest."   

I checked out LARS AND THE REAL GIRL and the clerk at Blockbuster said something about he doesn't rent movies about blowup dolls.   I thought I was going to be watching a FARGO type film and it was nothing of the sort. I still enjoyed it.  ;)

Hey there, Karl!  Dog Tags was on the New Releases wall alphabetized with the other New Releases.  I expect it will go to Drama eventually; it was not really an action movie, more of a growing, coming-of-age type film.  I watched it last night and it was OK...not great, but better than many I've seen.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1406 on: March 09, 2009, 06:13:29 pm »
PONTYPOOL - (2008) Dir: Bruce MacDonald
IMdb Synopsis: The flick is set in a radio station in Pontypool where one day the morning team starts taking reports of extreme, bloody incidents of violence occurring in town. As the story unfolds, the radio staff soon realizes the violence that is ripping society apart is due to a virus being spread through the English language. That in turn poses a problem for a yappy radio jock [Stephen McHattie, the bad guy who gets hit with the coffee pot in A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE)] and his staff holed up in the broadcast booth housed in the basement of the town's abandoned church as a slaughter rages beyond its walls.
3.5/5

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1407 on: March 10, 2009, 12:24:29 am »
Frau Blucher!  Perfect!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IWHt4OoNk[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1408 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:17 am »
Thanks for the three seconds of hilarity! :-*

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1409 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »

I just received my Amazon DVD order, which includes CANNIBAL by German filmmaker Marian Dora.  It's a dramatisation of that horrific gay cannibal case from a few years ago.  Has anyone seen the film?  Will I regret buying the dvd?  ???

From IMDb:  Sparse, economical, and surprisingly affective, this film wisely eschews exploitation to instead attempt an oddly serious and almost artistic analysis of the famous Meiwes case. Almost in 3 clinical acts (the hunt, the seduction, and the consumption), the film minimalistically explores the theme of sex as predation, consummation as consumption. It also superimposes Meiwes' favorite Grimm tale of Hansel and Gretel onto it as a frame, creating an odd fairy-tale for adults.

It is not an entertaining or pleasant film--but it works very ingeniously. With little to no dialog, the film creates a sense of unease and distaste in the audience through the simple use of frank male nudity, homoeroticism (which for some will seem more disturbing than the violence), and ritualistic slaughter and cannibalism implied cheaply and brilliantly with what appears to be almost no real special effects. Much of what we see is most likely the carcass of a pig, and yet we will feel like we are seeing much more.

The film also creates a sense of an actual relationship between the two men--not that they loved each other, but that they understood each other and each other's desires. The way they interact seems genuine and a part of the paradox of this case.

Shot using the simplest and cheapest of home equipment and with only 2 real actors, the film is also a testament to how successfully done an independent film can be. So little was needed to create this, and it all comes together very well.

Unlike American films like "Hard Candy", which try to moralize its themes to death, this film is far superior in its provocation. I'm not sure who else the audience for this film is, but for those to whom it works--it works almost perfectly.