Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022218 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2007, 08:50:19 pm »
The Missouri Breaks is by far the most unconventional, unpredictable "Western" I have ever seen.  Just watched it today, via Netflix delivery.    And hey, it's got Nicholson and Brando and Harry Dean Stanton!
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:40 pm »
Anybody have a report on 3:30 to Yuma? It's on at my local theater this weekend, and I've seen a couple of decent reviews. Shoot 'Em Up is there, too, but I haven't seen a thing about that -- except an interview with Clive Owen on TV yesterday. It's not my usual type of movie, I don't think, but you never know. So if anybody has recommendations on either of these, yay or nay, I'm all ears.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2007, 10:57:43 pm »
I saw a good review of 3:10 to Yuma on CBS Sunday Morning.  I'm looking forward to it, especially because I like Russell Crowe.  Looks like a good old-fashioned Western with some very good performances.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #233 on: September 07, 2007, 01:57:54 pm »
I'm gonna see that one tomorrow.  Russell Crowe is one of those guys I like as an actor, but not so much as a person.  That's OK - I'm never gonna meet him, most likely, let alone marry him.  ;)

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: September 07, 2007, 02:10:24 pm »
I'm gonna see that one tomorrow.  Russell Crowe is one of those guys I like as an actor, but not so much as a person.  That's OK - I'm never gonna meet him, most likely, let alone marry him.  ;)

Me too. It takes a lot for me to dislike a talented actor onscreen, regardless of his offscreen persona. For example, I like Tom Cruise onscreen -- and he's not even all that talented!  :laugh: I like John Travolta, too.

Exceptions include Mel Gibson -- I'll never feel the same way about him again. Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine and that guy from Grey's Anatomy are also off my list (not that they were really on it in the first place). I have a hard time watching Michael Richards on Seinfeld now. And Sarah Jessica Parker is on thin ice, though I've always found her kind of annoying anyway.

I just read on another thread about Jerry Lewis using the F-word (not the four-letter one) in the Telethon, so my opinion of him has dropped, but it couldn't get much lower in the first place.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2007, 04:59:27 pm »
Crowe is a tremendously gifted actor.  He becomes the character he plays and inhabits that person.

I would like to see the original 1957 version of 3:10 to Yuma as well as the new one.   
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2007, 09:01:27 pm »
OK, I saw 3:10 to Yuma this afternoon and loved it.

It's about these two handsome men in the West -- one outgoing and confident, one troubled and taciturn -- who get thrown together by circumstances and, as they spend time together, grow to form an unexpected bond ...

Guess it's obvious why I liked it, hunh?  :laugh:

Actually, to like it you'd probably have to be at least open-minded toward Westerns, and you certainly have to not mind a lot of shooting and killing (non-gory, though), but if you pass those tests I bet you'd really enjoy it. It's what a Western should be, IMO, character study combined with morality play against a colorful backdrop.

Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are both really good. Really good.

I didn't take my sons with me, because of its R rating, but I wound up wishing I had, because they would have liked it and it contained nothing they haven't seen before. The rating is almost perplexing -- it must have been right on the line for PG-13. There's very little swearing. No real sex or nudity. Nothing vulgar or icky. Lots and lots of deaths, it's true. But probably not more than you'd see in, say, a special two-hour episode of 24.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2007, 10:39:16 pm »
Oh--I'm so glad to hear that it's good from a real person, ineedcrayons! I've read good reviews. This is the one Eric and the hot Alabama cowboy are seeing tonite--sounds like they'll like it!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2007, 11:35:04 pm »
OK, I saw 3:10 to Yuma this afternoon and loved it.

It's about these two handsome men in the West -- one outgoing and confident, one troubled and taciturn -- who get thrown together by circumstances and, as they spend time together, grow to form an unexpected bond ...

Guess it's obvious why I liked it, hunh?  :laugh:

Lots and lots of deaths, it's true. But probably not more than you'd see in, say, a special two-hour episode of 24.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That's great news, Katherine!  I can't wait to plop down with some popcorn and enjoy it!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »
I loved it, too, Katherine.

It's a testament to the performances these two turned in that I went into it not at all into any of their previous stuff (I have always thought they are both grossly over-rated) and came out of it a fan.

They played the relationship beautifully.  And Crowe was tremendous.  He never once raised his voice, even when he was killing someone.  His character reminded me a lot of Dexter on the show (that I also love) of the same name - in fact, I have to wonder if the creator of "Dexter" fashioned him directly after Ben Wade.  The similarities in their childhood stories and the morality at their core are astonishing.

But as thrilling as it was to watch both of them (and it really was - so much so that I think I'll watch both of them again this weekend), the one who stole the thing was Ben Foster as Charlie Prince.  I read one review that nailed it:  "Prince's loyalty to his boss goes beyond propriety, sexuality, and sanity.  The kid (meaning Foster) is mesmerizing."

I tell ya, for my money, there was more exquisite homoerotic tension in this movie than in "Jarhead" ten times over.  Between Charlie Prince's passionate, unblinking devotion to Ben Wade and the way Wade damn near seduced Dan Evans just by talking to him, I was in heaven.

This same reviewer, by the way, said that the actors in this one were "an improvement" over the original ones, and that's saying a lot when Ben Wade was originally played by Glenn Ford.

Some reviewers didn't like the bit of a twist (so to speak) in the ending.  I loved it.  I thought it made perfect sense.  But then, I love "Dexter" (and for those uninitiated, Dexter is a serial killer who only kills people that are even nastier than he is - people who kill for fun, and he believes he is cursed, just like the "Hand of God" gun :).)
No more beans!