Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022230 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #260 on: September 18, 2007, 03:49:32 pm »
Right. That's what I meant when I referred above to a Bible that becomes significant. I didn't get more specific because I'm sort of hypersensitive about discussing things that happen near the end.

Ooops, oh well...

I guess I was sort of assuming that people on this thread had seen the movie. My bad!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2007, 04:17:42 pm »
I don't think you've given too much away, there, Leslie.  And I think you're right on about that scene and the Biblical reference.  Nice job!  :)

Now, everyone knows Bruce Willis is really dead the whole time, right?  ;)

No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2007, 04:22:18 pm »
I haven't seen it yet, so I appreciate y'all being obtuse! Tho I'm not too good at putting two and two together anyway!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #263 on: September 18, 2007, 04:47:54 pm »
Now, everyone knows Bruce Willis is really dead the whole time, right?  ;)

I actually figured that out long before seeing the movie, just by everyone talking about a big surprise, and seeing the trailer with the kid going, "I see dead people." Oh well, I enjoyed it anyway.

Leslie, that's OK. I'm probably just extra-sensitive in this case because I went into this one with an unusual degree of ignorance about what was going to happen (usually I've read so many reviews I already know the entire plot), so I wasn't sure who was going to live or die or what. But on this thread we've discussed the plot in general terms anyway.

Just don't anybody mention what happens at the very very end!  >:(  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2007, 09:24:49 pm »
I actually figured that out long before seeing the movie, just by everyone talking about a big surprise, and seeing the trailer with the kid going, "I see dead people." Oh well, I enjoyed it anyway.

Maybe we should start a thread of "movies that were given away by the trailer and/or reviews." High on my list would be Million Dollar Baby and The Crying Game.

Leslie, that's OK. I'm probably just extra-sensitive in this case because I went into this one with an unusual degree of ignorance about what was going to happen (usually I've read so many reviews I already know the entire plot), so I wasn't sure who was going to live or die or what. But on this thread we've discussed the plot in general terms anyway.

Just don't anybody mention what happens at the very very end!  >:(  ;)

Actually, I had read quite a reviews about this and they were, all in all, very unspoilerish. I knew it was 2 guys going to get the prison train but beyond that, reviewers managed to keep their lips zipped.

The only movie I can think of that I went to see without reading a single review and knowing nothing about was Titanic. Well, okay, I knew the boat was going to sink but that's about it! We saw it on opening night because we had a suddenly "free" night when both children were invited to play dates or parties (they were 9 and 6 at the time). A night by ourselves to go to the movies? Wow! I was blown away by Titanic and I still think it's great, even though it seems to have become the movie that "everybody loves to hate." Oh well, I am a sucker for romance and I still enjoy it. (And I am of the mind there are a few Titanic references in BBM that are intentional.)

The other one I saw "cold" was Fatal Attraction. Yikes!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2007, 09:30:31 pm »
I am of the mind there are a few Titanic references in BBM that are intentional
L
Oh, that's interesting! What are they??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2007, 09:36:25 pm »
Oh, that's interesting! What are they??

The graphic designers had admitted that the "iconic" poster of image of Jack and Ennis was meant to evoke an image of Titanic. If I can find an image of the two posters comparing them side by side I'll post them (I am too tired right now to go hunting on the Internet).

Old Rose whiskey is another.

If I think of more, I'll post them.  Others?

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2007, 12:59:21 am »
Others?

Well, one person in both is named Jack!  :laugh:

Just kidding. I don't think Annie Proulx got her inspiration from Titanic.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:23 am »
Well, one person in both is named Jack!  :laugh:

Just kidding. I don't think Annie Proulx got her inspiration from Titanic.

No. I never said Annie Proulx. This is a totally a movie depiction. I think there are things in the movie that are subconscious aids to evoke reminders of another romantic movie. As I said, the graphic designers have said their poster picture was deliberate in their reference to Titanic.

Because Titanic has become "the movie everyone loves to hate" and BBM is the movie that "everyone loves to love" they vehemently disagree with me on this point. That's fine, but I think the references are there.

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2007, 10:11:09 am »
No. I never said Annie Proulx. This is a totally a movie depiction.

Oh, I know, Leslie. I was just being silly. It was the only other similarity I could think of offhand, but of course the name "Jack" predated the movie.

I think the two are often compared because Titanic is a traditional love story -- and famous and recent, so most people are familiar with the details. So it's often useful as a comparative example: "In Titanic blah blah blah, whereas in Brokeback blah blah blah." Like, in Titanic the love scenes aren't very sexy, whereas in Brokeback they are. Or whatever.

So as a result, it might seem as if people "hate" Titanic. I don't; I think it's entertaining if not great.