Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022222 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2007, 11:11:07 pm »
OK. Keep in mind that this is just Clancy's theory -- I couldn't find any review or interview or any other source to verify it -- but it's pretty brilliant and does make perfect sense once you think about it.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Matt Damon and Casey Affleck are the same person. That's why they're both named Gerry. That's why they talk about Jeopardy and video games in such shorthand -- their conversations are really Gerry's thoughts. When they use "gerry" as a verb, it's Gerry's self-reproach when he screws up.

Their trip into the desert is a journey into manhood. You know how Matt is the stronger and tougher one, and Casey is weaker and more passive and prone to tears? When Gerry leaves as one person, he has become a man. You know how he gets picked up by a father and son and the last (long boring 10-minute  ::)) scene is of the three driving away in silence? Well, the boy represents Gerry as a kid, the father is the future Gerry. And Gerry, in between them in age, has passed that maturation milestone.

So what d'ya think?

UPDATE with a later thought: Plus, it's interesting that when the end of the desert sojourn comes, the car is suddenly right there!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:45:24 am by ineedcrayons »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2007, 11:43:54 am »
Well ...? Am I making sense? Does that theory sound plausible?

I thought so, but of course not everyone has to agree!  :)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #382 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:39 pm »
it sounds quite plausible to me from your description!  I haven't seen the movie though...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #383 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:21 pm »
Well maybe now you'll want to see it. I know, I know, my talk of long boring dialogueless sequences probably doesn't make you want to move it to the top of your Netflix list. But it really is an interesting movie once you think of it that way, so that interpretation isn't necessarily a spoiler -- could be an enhancer!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #384 on: November 07, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »
Well maybe now you'll want to see it. I know, I know, my talk of long boring dialogueless sequences probably doesn't make you want to move it to the top of your Netflix list. But it really is an interesting movie once you think of it that way, so that interpretation isn't necessarily a spoiler -- could be an enhancer!

yes you are right... when I was first reading about it I was like "Hmnn... a Matt Damon movie I've never heard of..."

your friend's suggestion definitely makes it sound interesting... I will keep it in mind for when I am in the mood for "long dialogueless sequences"

;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #385 on: November 07, 2007, 03:05:39 pm »
I was like "Hmnn... a Matt Damon movie I've never heard of..."

You know, before this movie I was never a huge Matt Damon fan. I mean, I liked him all right, but ... and then somehow this movie, boring or not, made me appreciate him more. Now I'd be likely to see anything he's in (except maybe The Good Shepherd, which I fell asleep trying to watch).

Offline oilgun

« Reply #386 on: November 07, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
You know, before this movie I was never a huge Matt Damon fan. I mean, I liked him all right, but ... and then somehow this movie, boring or not, made me appreciate him more. Now I'd be likely to see anything he's in (except maybe The Good Shepherd, which I fell asleep trying to watch).

LOL!  I fell asleep as well!  That wasn't his best role.  I became more of a fan of his after seeing The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Anyway, back to Gerry and Clancy's analysis!  I read something similar somewhere and I think it makes a lot of sense, although that film can be interpreted in so many ways.  I do like the idea of the internal struggle though.  Gus van Sant dedicated the film to Ken Kesey, the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and apparently a lot of what happens in that book was inspired by acid trips.  That kinda supports the theory I think.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2007, 10:49:41 pm »
The Wizard of Oz is on TBS tonight.

Does anyone know how the movie came to be a "holiday movie" - associated with its original release date, maybe?

Thanks.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2007, 07:43:01 am »
Wow, I had no idea that this has been such an active thread.  I just spent three hundred hours (give or take) catching up on it.  I'll try to remember to keep up with it from now on.

Michael Clayton - I thought Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton were each terrrific in their roles.  The Tilda Swinton role was especially interesting - she plays this awful, high-powered, tough, articulate legal counsel for the bad guy corporation, but we (the audience) are treated to her stumbling rehearsal of her phrasing while she gets dressed in the morning, her shaky lack of confidence in the office bathroom stall, it's cool.

Dan in Real Life - It's amazing how plain old likeable Steve Carell is in it, considering his likeability on "The Office" has more to do with pity at his patheticness.  He looks completely different, rather than stocky and stiff, he looks lithe and loose.  Very interesting.  I've decided he is quite a good actor.  Poor Dianne Wiest, it's fucked that she isn't carrying major movies as the star.  But no, she's a middle-aged woman...

You all ought to come by and play the ABCs at the Movies game with Leslie and oilgun and me (and others).  We're going through the years, backwards.  We started at 2007, and are now doing the movies of 1959.  The last 3 movies posted were, North by Northwest for N, Operation Petticoat for O, and Porgy and Bess for P.  Anyone want to post a good Q movie from 1959...?  We use IMDb as our source and arbiter.  The people on this thread would love it!  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13749.new.html#new

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2007, 10:43:39 am »
The Wizard of Oz is on TBS tonight.

Does anyone know how the movie came to be a "holiday movie" - associated with its original release date, maybe?

Thanks.

It was released in August, 1939, so that didn't have anything to do with it!

Back in the dark ages (ie, my youth) they showed movies once a year on TV as a "special event" and we'd all gear up for that viewing. I remember that for years, The Wizard of Oz was shown in February, to coincide with the Washington Birthday holiday. Easter always had a Biblical epic, like King of Kings and Christmas...well there has always been a ton of Christmas programming. So maybe it came from that BelAir. Who knows?

BTW, welcome to Bettermost.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!