Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022339 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #390 on: November 11, 2007, 01:34:21 pm »
Back in the dark ages (ie, my youth) they showed movies once a year on TV as a "special event" and we'd all gear up for that viewing. I remember that for years, The Wizard of Oz was shown in February, to coincide with the Washington Birthday holiday. Easter always had a Biblical epic, like King of Kings and Christmas...well there has always been a ton of Christmas programming.

LOL. I get how The Ten Commandments=Easter, and It's a Wonderful Life=Christmas. But how does The Wizard of Oz=Washington's birthday?? Are they equating Washington with Oz?

Anyway, I remember those "special event" days, too. I used to look forward to TWoO for weeks. And my mom always made tomato soup and grilled-cheese sandwiches for dinner! Our own little secular family ritual.

we (the audience) are treated to her stumbling rehearsal of her phrasing while she gets dressed in the morning, her shaky lack of confidence in the office bathroom stall, it's cool.

Yeah, that was a cool scene! I hadn't seen one like that before. And it helps explain her actions later.

Dan in Real Life - It's amazing how plain old likeable Steve Carell is in it, considering his likeability on "The Office" has more to do with pity at his patheticness.  He looks completely different, rather than stocky and stiff, he looks lithe and loose.  Very interesting.  I've decided he is quite a good actor. 

I agree.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #391 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »
Well, I just got back from seeing what is possibly the best film of the year:  Into the Wild
It's amazingly good and should garner several nominations and wins.   I predict:  A best director award for Sean Penn, Best actor for Emile Hirsh and best supporting actor for Hal Holbrook.

EDIT:  I just checked Rotten tomatoes and it rates a relatively paltry 79% Fresh while Affleck's GBG get's 91% Fresh (both Cream of the Crop) so don't quote me on the above, LOL!  Anyway, what do I know, I base my ratings on how much I've enjoyed them.  And for me ItW was a 10/10  (Gone Baby Gone 6/10)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 05:40:43 pm by oilgun »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #392 on: November 11, 2007, 08:10:22 pm »
I'll put that on my list too, then.

Oilgun, this is slightly OT but, even though I'm a huge Ryan Gosling fan, I still really miss your old avatar!  :-\ 

Offline oilgun

« Reply #393 on: November 11, 2007, 10:09:34 pm »
I'll put that on my list too, then.

Oilgun, this is slightly OT but, even though I'm a huge Ryan Gosling fan, I still really miss your old avatar!  :-\ 

I changed it back for you!  To be honest I missed it too, it's such a great pic of Heath and it makes me smile.  Sadly,  Lars was probably more fitting  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2007, 12:51:27 am »
I changed it back for you!  To be honest I missed it too, it's such a great pic of Heath and it makes me smile.  Sadly,  Lars was probably more fitting  :-\

Thank you, oilgun! Seriously, you have the most cheerful avatar in all of Brokiedom. Who could look at it and not smile?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2007, 06:52:30 pm »
Man, I've been making some really good choices lately! 

Just saw the Romanian film 4 Month, 3 Weeks & 2 Days and I have to agree with the Cannes  jury who awarded it the Palme D'or.  Wow!  It's the type of realist drama that I absolutely love. If you like the work of the Dardennes brothers than this powerful and emotionally complex film is a must. Oustanding! 10/10

Offline oilgun

« Reply #396 on: November 18, 2007, 05:35:20 pm »
Well, another good one! Control, the Ian Curtis bio-pic.  Curtis was the lead singer of Joy Division, one of my favourite bands.  He suffered from epilepsy and depression and committed suicide at the age of 23.  The film is in gorgeous black & white with great performances by Sam Riley (as Ian) & Samantha Morton as his wife, whose book the movie is based on.  Might make a good double-bill with Brothers of the Head.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #397 on: November 18, 2007, 05:37:59 pm »
oilgun, I hope you will keep your fave film list going (or at least post it somewhere else) - so I can refer to it when trying to decide which movie to go see!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #398 on: November 18, 2007, 05:54:46 pm »
LOL. I get how The Ten Commandments=Easter, and It's a Wonderful Life=Christmas. But how does The Wizard of Oz=Washington's birthday?? Are they equating Washington with Oz?

Anyway, I remember those "special event" days, too. I used to look forward to TWoO for weeks. And my mom always made tomato soup and grilled-cheese sandwiches for dinner! Our own little secular family ritual.

Yeah, that was a cool scene! I hadn't seen one like that before. And it helps explain her actions later.

I agree.
                 DONT LOOK TOO CLOSLY AT THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN?

Beautiful mind

Offline oilgun

« Reply #399 on: November 18, 2007, 06:06:54 pm »
oilgun, I hope you will keep your fave film list going (or at least post it somewhere else) - so I can refer to it when trying to decide which movie to go see!

Thanks, I'm honored!  I do update it as I go along and it will probably stay there up until the Oscar nominations are announced.  Do note that I'm not a critic by any means, I rate them according to my enjoyment.  ;)