Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022204 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #630 on: January 16, 2008, 05:50:53 pm »
What about "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"? Or do you think that will get nominated in the best picture category?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #631 on: January 16, 2008, 06:06:13 pm »
What about "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"? Or do you think that will get nominated in the best picture category?

L
Actually, France submitted Persepolis so Diving Bell wasn't in the running for this award:  http://www.thefilmexperience.net/Awards/2007/foreignfton.html

It might get a best picture nom, certainly a best director and adaptation.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #632 on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:24 pm »
The AMPAS shortlist for the Foreign Language Film Award shockingly excludes 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days and Persepolis

The Lives Of Others (das Leben der Anderen) from Germany wasn't included either. It is one of the best movies I've seen last year.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline oilgun

« Reply #633 on: January 17, 2008, 05:41:24 pm »
The Lives Of Others (das Leben der Anderen) from Germany wasn't included either. It is one of the best movies I've seen last year.

The Lives of Others was in the running last year and won. The film came out in 2006 in the U.S.  I was really surprised to see it listed for the 2007 BAFTAs.

Offline oilgun

Criterion releases 2-Disc Edition of THE ICE STORM!
« Reply #634 on: January 17, 2008, 05:56:48 pm »
Here's some exciting news on the DVD front.  Criterion is releasing a 2 disc edition of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm. It includes a commentary with Ang and James Schamus

This is giving me hope that we may eventually get a decent edition of Brokeback Mountain! Hope it doesn't take ten years like it did for The Ice Storm though:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=426

(Now there's a nicely designed DVD cover! Criterion must be the only one to hire professional Graphic Designers.... "Whaaa...no floating heads?!"  :laugh:)

Compare that with the cover of the Fox edition (I'll be happy to be rid of this monstrosity!):

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #635 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:17 pm »
Yep, Lee and Schamus should have tackled BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN after they did the commentary for THE ICE STORM. It's been ten years since they did THE ICE STORM. Don't you forget things in a ten year time period?   I've never heard Lee give commentary on DVD before.  I wonder if he will talk in generalities or specifics about the film. 

Offline BelAir

Re: Criterion releases 2-Disc Edition of THE ICE STORM!
« Reply #636 on: January 17, 2008, 07:59:16 pm »
Here's some exciting news on the DVD front.  Criterion is releasing a 2 disc edition of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm. It includes a commentary with Ang and James Schamus

be sure you report back after you watch the commentary...

::)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

Re: Criterion releases 2-Disc Edition of THE ICE STORM!
« Reply #637 on: January 17, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »
be sure you report back after you watch the commentary...

::)

Oh, I will!  I forgot to mention that the DVD's release date is March 18th.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #638 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30:37 pm »
So you want an BM II movie??

Anyone?

Hugs!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #639 on: January 18, 2008, 09:50:41 am »
In Bruges opened the Sundance Flim Festival last night. Here's an early review from Filmthreat.com

IN BRUGES

by Jeremy Mathews

(2008-01-19)

2007, Rated R, 107 minutes

In the opening voice-over of "In Bruges," Colin Farrell immediately puts the audience at ease. His character, Ray, admits that he didn't even know where Bruges was until his boss told him to lay low there. Then, he punctuates the commentary with some helpful information: "It's in Belgium."

Writer/director Martin McDonagh has crafted his entire film with the same spirit as the introduction. The content may initially seem daunting, but the film presents it in an accessible, entertaining manner that dares you not to enjoy yourself. This is a film about people who have done bad things and deal with real psychological issues, but they're also people who ramble, bicker and talk—and do so in the way peculiar to British criminals in movies.

Ray and his mentor Ken, played by the great Brendan Gleeson, flee from London to the medieval town after Ray's debut job as a hitman ended in failure. The two were instructed to go sight-seeing, but Ray spends most of his time whining about the town, indulging his neuroses and pissing all over Ken's attempts to take in the culture. His mood changes a bit, however, when he meets a cute local (Clémence Poésy) who works on the set of a pretentious Dutch film whose case includes a drug-loving dwarf (Jordan Prentice).

The dynamic between Gleeson and Farrell grows more and more fascinating as we learn more about what the characters have been through. As they exchange stylish dialogue, they reveal more about whether or not they indulge one another and why.

In a film full of great performances, Ralph Feinnes steals the show as Harry, the boss. Initially heard only over the telephone, Feinnes takes on an accent and a philosophy far from that of his typical role. He makes Harry presumptive and indignant, approachable and intimidating, a bundle of rage in a reasonable demeanor. It would be hard to find a better harbinger of doom.

During its conclusion, the film oscillates between big ideas and big set pieces. It's only here that McDonagh falters a bit in his balancing act, using what could have been a considerable emotional payoff as a launch pad for a rather elaborate (but quite well done) chase scene. Even when the film goes off the rails, however, it's still a fun ride.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!