Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022286 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #700 on: January 24, 2008, 12:33:08 pm »
Shaky movie (the camera) is making ppl sick according to CNN.com.  CLOVERFIELD is causing ppl to leave the theater with motion sickness.  I heard ppl utter such comments when they left the theater.  They hated the wobbling camera affect.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/01/24/movie.sickness/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

I had the same feeling when I watched the Woody Allen film HUSBANDS AND WIVES.  I think there was some symbolism that their relationship were "rocky" and hence the camera was all over the place. Couldn't wait for the film to be over with.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #701 on: January 24, 2008, 05:00:30 pm »
Shaky movie (the camera) is making ppl sick according to CNN.com.  CLOVERFIELD is causing ppl to leave the theater with motion sickness.  I heard ppl utter such comments when they left the theater.  They hated the wobbling camera affect.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/01/24/movie.sickness/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

I had the same feeling when I watched the Woody Allen film HUSBANDS AND WIVES.  I think there was some symbolism that their relationship were "rocky" and hence the camera was all over the place. Couldn't wait for the film to be over with.

The shaky camera, and it really is shaky, didn't bother me at all, so I guess I'm not susceptible to vertigo.  My sister, however, is the opposite, she has to sit in the very last (top) row of the theatre for ANY movie, otherwise she starts feeling sick. Meanwhile, I like to sit way in the front so that the screen takes over my whole field of vision, we're not exactly the best movie partners...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #702 on: January 24, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »
The only movie that ever made me sick was Koyaanisqatsi, which came out in 1982. I think it was the combination of the way it was filmed and the music. I have never had motion sickness before in my life, but I was sick at the end of this!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #703 on: January 25, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »
I got halfway thru a Heath Ledger film last night called "A Knight's Tale."  Has anybody ever seen this film. I usually love these medieval stories, but I don't know what sort of audience this film was was shooting for.  They had contemporary rock music from QUEEN I believe during the jousting segments.   I preferred the use of Wagner's scores in EXCALIBUR (1981). Now that was rousing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pylGJO6I30M&feature=related   Wait till it gets to thirty seconds. That's when it gets kickin...

Of course, I did enjoy seeing Heath in "A Knight's Tale."  He's good at everything I've seen him in. He had the "gift."  I'll have to finish watching the movie. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #704 on: January 25, 2008, 06:07:30 pm »
Actually, I saw "A Knight's Tale" in the theater and enjoyed it very much. The modern music was the whole spin of that movie--that, and the fact that Shannon Sossamyn's costumes were a blend of old fashioned and modern. We own the DVD.

But I know there are plenty of folks who hate the movie, precisely because of the music.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #705 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:35 pm »
Actually, I saw "A Knight's Tale" in the theater and enjoyed it very much. The modern music was the whole spin of that movie--that, and the fact that Shannon Sossamyn's costumes were a blend of old fashioned and modern. We own the DVD.

But I know there are plenty of folks who hate the movie, precisely because of the music.

L

I have the movie on right now, and am quite enjoying it.  Wasn't Heath a little shocked at the movie's final presentation/promotion?

Still there are some wonderful, wonderful moments in the film...

I think Heath has a particularly angelic appearance as well.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #706 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:53 pm »
I watched Sarah Polley's Away From Her.  It's her first feature as a director and it's like she's been doing it for years.  It's a surprisingly mature film,  beautiful and quietly heart wrenching.  Although it's mainly known as the Julie Christie movie outside this country, it's veteran Canadian actor Gordon Pinsent who has the more difficult role as the husband losing his beloved to Alzheimer's.  A wonderful performance.

I also watched Claire Denis' Beau Travail.  I love this movie more each time I see it.  The final scene with Galoup dancing (to This is the Rythm of the Night) is so strangely cathartic and joyful, it gives me shivers.

And of course, it's on Youtube (!):

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e5g_wXJf1I[/youtube]

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #707 on: January 26, 2008, 12:39:07 pm »
Getting back to EXCALIBUR, I see the director, John Boorman's latest project is Memoirs of Hadrian scheduled for release in 2009.  The Roman emperor Hadrian had a  male lover who drowned and it drove him into a terrible stage of grief.

From wikipedia.org

"Hadrian was especially famous for his romance with a Greek youth, Antinous. While touring Egypt, Antinous mysteriously drowned in the Nile in 130. Deeply saddened, Hadrian founded the Egyptian city of Antinopolis. Hadrian drew the whole Empire into his mourning, making Antinous the last new god of antiquity."

Somebody on the msg board posted that Zac Efron should play Antinous. Yeah, that's gonnna happen. High School Musical star plays male lover to a Roman emperor.   ;)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #708 on: January 26, 2008, 12:50:04 pm »
Getting back to EXCALIBUR, I see the director, John Boorman's latest project is Memoirs of Hadrian scheduled for release in 2009.  The Roman emperor Hadrian had a  male lover who drowned and it drove him into a terrible stage of grief.

From wikipedia.org

"Hadrian was especially famous for his romance with a Greek youth, Antinous. While touring Egypt, Antinous mysteriously drowned in the Nile in 130. Deeply saddened, Hadrian founded the Egyptian city of Antinopolis. Hadrian drew the whole Empire into his mourning, making Antinous the last new god of antiquity."

Somebody on the msg board posted that Zac Efron should play Antinous. Yeah, that's gonnna happen. High School Musical star plays male lover to a Roman emperor.   ;)

Memoirs of Hadrian!: The Movie Musical!   ;D  Hadrian could be played by Nathan Lane... :-X

Offline oilgun

« Reply #709 on: January 26, 2008, 05:22:21 pm »
Apparently, Johnny Depp along with two other major actors will be 'replacing' Heath in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.  The idea is to change the actor once he goes through the magic mirror so they'll be able to keep many of the already filmed scenes with Heath.

I think that's good news if it's true.   My source is not exactly official, it's a poster on IMDb who knows a Vancouver costume designer, Jane Still, who is friends with Monique Prud'homme, the film's costume designer...  It certainly sounds plausible though, considering how fantastical the film sounds and all the love and respect that both Heath and Gilliam have from other actors.

It would be nice to have another Heath moment to look forward to.